Prince of Persia 3D on Windows 10

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 61, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-05-07, 04:14:
Presbytier wrote on 2020-05-06, 20:40:

So I was trying to use the cracked copy of the game because i always get a no disk error and I actually have the real game disk in the drive. I trhink I can edit the registry to point it to a disk but I am not sure how. I honestly am probably going to give up as I have tried every suggestion and no go. Maybe if I can figure out how to get it to see the actually retail CD i own maybe it will work then.

The disc should be in the drive/virtual drive through which you installed the game.

My drive is assigned as A: and that never changes. I honestly think I’m destined to not run this game 😂. Honestly I’ve had no issues running so many other older games with zero problems, but this one hates me.

"Never pay more than 20 dollars for a computer game" - Guybrush Threepwood

Reply 41 of 61, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Presbytier wrote on 2020-05-07, 06:09:

So I was trying to use the cracked copy of the game because i always get a no disk error and I actually have the real game disk in the drive. I trhink I can edit the registry to point it to a disk but I am not sure how. I honestly am probably going to give up as I have tried every suggestion and no go. Maybe if I can figure out how to get it to see the actually retail CD i own maybe it will work then.

The disc should be in the drive/virtual drive through which you installed the game.

My drive is assigned as A: and that never changes. I honestly think I’m destined to not run this game 😂. Honestly I’ve had no issues running so many other older games with zero problems, but this one hates me.

If you're using the crack files don't, just use the unprotected exe and have disc 2 in a virtual drive, shouldn't matter what dive letter is used but A: is normally used for floppy drives so some software may not even bother looking there. See if that works for you.

Reply 42 of 61, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Presbytier wrote on 2020-05-07, 06:09:

I think the problem is with drive letter, go to Disk Management and change A: to something else after C:, I use H:.
Also reinstall the game from the new drive letter if the game still doesnt work.Or you could just edit the registry for diskpath

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 43 of 61, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I cannot believe it. Changing the CD drive to H fixed the whole damn thing. I feel like a dumbass 🤣

Reply 44 of 61, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Presbytier wrote on 2020-05-07, 18:48:

I cannot believe it. Changing the CD drive to H fixed the whole damn thing. I feel like a dumbass 🤣

Well that thing worked for me in GTA 1, I changed the DVD drive to d: and therefore I had to move the hdd partition at d to somewhere else, and the game worked.

Reply 45 of 61, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There was one more thing I did that made it work. I have the Corsair hi100 AIO cooler and it creates a unnamed USB bridge under hardware. I have to uninstall that in order for the game to run. This is ironically the same issue I have with Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine. I was playing it before I tried switching the drive letter and that is why the game ran after changing the drive letter. Anyhow I plan on replacing this AIO as it is such a compatibility issue at times.

Reply 46 of 61, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Presbytier wrote on 2020-05-07, 23:53:

There was one more thing I did that made it work. I have the Corsair hi100 AIO cooler and it creates a unnamed USB bridge under hardware. I have to uninstall that in order for the game to run. This is ironically the same issue I have with Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine. I was playing it before I tried switching the drive letter and that is why the game ran after changing the drive letter. Anyhow I plan on replacing this AIO as it is such a compatibility issue at times.

AIO Cooler making problems. Interesting.

Reply 47 of 61, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
synrgy87 wrote on 2020-05-06, 17:28:
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-05-06, 17:24:
synrgy87 wrote on 2020-05-06, 17:05:

in Quicktime player go to "Edit" then under preferences, iirc it's under advanced

OK I got the option. However the videos dont work anymore now. If I got to cinematics in the game,the video doesnt start. However I have disabled DirectDraw in quicktime. I also found that when i run quicktime,the app freezes at a msg saying 'Switching'

The cinematic player in game doesn't work properly for me either it seems to play the mov files in the backround or something, they do play in game though when they're meant to. not sure why you're getting that msg or freezing.

Well I found that the latest QuickTime cannot play PoP3D in any way, the only was the video worked was by uninstalling the latest Quicktime and removing all files from C: drive that arent dependent on any other app and then reinstalling v4.0 again. The video would only work if I dont use dgVoodoo.

Reply 48 of 61, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-05-08, 13:22:
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-05-06, 17:24:

OK I got the option. However the videos dont work anymore now. If I got to cinematics in the game,the video doesnt start. However I have disabled DirectDraw in quicktime. I also found that when i run quicktime,the app freezes at a msg saying 'Switching'

The cinematic player in game doesn't work properly for me either it seems to play the mov files in the backround or something, they do play in game though when they're meant to. not sure why you're getting that msg or freezing.

Well I found that the latest QuickTime cannot play PoP3D in any way, the only was the video worked was by uninstalling the latest Quicktime and removing all files from C: drive that arent dependent on any other app and then reinstalling v4.0 again. The video would only work if I dont use dgVoodoo.

That's weird, for me it works better with 7.79 of quicktime player, without that audio from the videos would be messed up. maybe down to a difference in hardware and software between the systems.

Reply 49 of 61, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-05-08, 04:51:

Not the first time I've heard of this:
FIXED see pg 5: Why does my new PC crash games that work for other people? Lengthy testing results within, please help!
And it's the exact same cooler.

But I've heard of other games/programs crashing due to misbehaving HID devices, so I'm not saying it's a problem only with that cooler. I have a keyboard that has the same effect.

Reply 50 of 61, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2020-05-08, 14:13:
Not the first time I've heard of this: FIXED see pg 5: Why does my new PC crash games that work for other people? Lengthy testin […]
Show full quote
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-05-08, 04:51:

Not the first time I've heard of this:
FIXED see pg 5: Why does my new PC crash games that work for other people? Lengthy testing results within, please help!
And it's the exact same cooler.

But I've heard of other games/programs crashing due to misbehaving HID devices, so I'm not saying it's a problem only with that cooler. I have a keyboard that has the same effect.

My headphones give me twice the fps when playing Crysis 2. In speaker i get 50-60 whereas in headphones i get over 120

Reply 51 of 61, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
synrgy87 wrote on 2020-05-08, 13:42:
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-05-08, 13:22:

That's weird, for me it works better with 7.79 of quicktime player, without that audio from the videos would be messed up. maybe down to a difference in hardware and software between the systems.

QuickTime 4.0: Runs videos on default game resolution. dgVoodoo crashes the game is use to set higher resolution
QuickTime 7.7.9: Doesn't run video in any form, nor the videos get unlocked even after playing first level. dgVoodoo can increase game resolution.

That's how the combination works

Reply 52 of 61, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DGvoodoo has major issues if you go in water that makes anything in water in levels past level 1 bad. You can use https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat/releases which works and videos play backl correctly for me. i am also using latest QuickTime player.

Reply 53 of 61, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Presbytier wrote on 2020-05-09, 03:10:

DGvoodoo has major issues if you go in water that makes anything in water in levels past level 1 bad. You can use https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat/releases which works and videos play backl correctly for me. i am also using latest QuickTime player.

Didn't have the water issues but maybe i already used the DDrawCompat dll, can't remember now 🤣 between this and Dark Forces II

Reply 54 of 61, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With latest Quicktime and dgvoodoo game at least runs (but intro fmvs only plays in small window and if you click Play Cinematics and select introduction movie i can hear only sound, but not video). Main menu has slight mouse cursor trail glitch..
But game itself plays fine (at least in 10 minutes that i played)! Smooth 60 fps, underwater works without bugs, nice surround sound with Creative Alchemy.
UPD - intro shows only when you select new game, strange 🤣
UPD1 - widescreen fix screenshot

Снимок экрана (249).jpg
Filename
Снимок экрана (249).jpg
File size
363.75 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 55 of 61, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Presbytier wrote on 2020-05-09, 03:10:

Can you upload a savefile from any location with "bad" water? It's probably best if it's reported to Dege so that maybe he'll fix it (since dgVoodoo is needed to fix this game's bad UI Scaling).

Reply 56 of 61, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KainXVIII wrote on 2020-05-18, 08:29:

Main menu has slight mouse cursor trail glitch..

That only happens if you force MSAA. Disable that and use your graphic driver's post-processing AA (FXAA for Nvidia, MLAA for Nvidia) or SSAA (just set "Resolution" in dgVoodoo to a high value and make sure dgVoodoo's scaling mode is set to "Stretched, Keep Aspect Ratio").

Reply 57 of 61, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote on 2020-05-18, 10:46:

Can you upload a savefile from any location with "bad" water? It's probably best if it's reported to Dege so that maybe he'll fix it (since dgVoodoo is needed to fix this game's bad UI Scaling).

The bug seems to only occur in the pool from the second level (Ivory Tower). Don't have a savegame now (I've since finished the game and overwritten the previous save), but it's pretty easy to get there. The first level doesn't take very long to complete.

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 59 of 61, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2020-05-18, 10:54:
KainXVIII wrote on 2020-05-18, 08:29:

Main menu has slight mouse cursor trail glitch..

That only happens if you force MSAA. Disable that and use your graphic driver's post-processing AA (FXAA for Nvidia, MLAA for Nvidia) or SSAA (just set "Resolution" in dgVoodoo to a high value and make sure dgVoodoo's scaling mode is set to "Stretched, Keep Aspect Ratio").

Also trail glitch fixed with widescreen fix for me (at least for 16:9 1080p resolution), courtesy to old-games.ru forum.

Filename
resolutions.zip
File size
2.86 KiB
Downloads
47 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception