VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi!
so i seem close to have iF-22 working, i mean the flight part of the sim seems to be running and looking nice after i applied wined3d for pre-dx8 games (following the instructions to do some hex editing)

but the start menus and debrief menus are all black and messed up, with some words visible but most not. I feel there is surely some little fix to correct this menu mess and if i could jsut get past this hurdle then iF-22 might be goood to go in terms of running in windows 10

Reply 3 of 23, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

okay i reinstalled if-22v5 and aplied the wined3d and now the menus are looking better, not perfect but more usable - however the problem now i am learning is that the in game movies crash the game - i think they use some indeo program which is incompatible with windows10. if i could figure out how to switch off video then things might be better

Reply 4 of 23, by FIVE-one

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone here managed to make this game work on Win 10 ? Especialy being able to play with a joystick ?
I can launch the game with utter text problems in menu. Flight goes well (with keyboard) but I can't use any USB joystick or pad as the game refuses to launch when a USB deviced is on.

Hail to the Emperor !

Reply 6 of 23, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi , in the end, the best way i could get this to work was to instal Oracle VM and make a virtual Win98SE with which i can play it in software mode and that looks nice in any case. One has to set up the win98SE in VM a special way to make sure the graphics work right -- there is a youtube vidoe on it by a channel called Nevets i recall

Reply 8 of 23, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i havent tried that, but it is probabl possible - the function for the virtual os in Oracle to recognise joystick is there and if needed one you could first run VJoy and then run the joystick through that - actually if you try vjoy, that might make the usb controller work with your setup in windows 10 now - look up Vjoy, i have used it to get usb controllers working in dosbox for some old dos soccer games

Reply 9 of 23, by FIVE-one

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tryied vJoy already on Win10. It is considered as a USB device and prevent the game from launching.

I'm trying the VM solution right now. I'm setting it and wish it will finaly make it work.

Hail to the Emperor !

Reply 10 of 23, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seems to work fine on QEMU Win98SE VM in Direct3D hardware acceleration, including intro videos.
I am not a fan of realistic Flight Sims and I don't play or own this game. It is a borrowed CD sets out of curiosity. Typically the game would be played with special flight oriented stick, throttle and rudder controller. That part wasn't tested at all if they will work as good from VM. If anyone is interested in QEMU for realistic Flight Sims, then one got to figure that out.

Attachments

• iF22.png
    Filename
    iF22.png
    File size
    857.45 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    iF22 iMagic v3.3
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 23, by FIVE-one

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I set up the Win 98 SE on a VMARE, game runs fine on it. However I'm struggling to install my Sidewinder ForceFeedback 2 on the VM.
I used the original setup CD ISO, joystick is detected by Windows with a (!) warning but is unable to operate it. I think the VM is missing some USB controller drivers required to make it work

I'm interested in you QEMU solution. If you have any tutorial link I'll be glad to give a try ! Thanks for your help

Hail to the Emperor !

Reply 12 of 23, by FIVE-one

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After some extensive research on Internet, seems like the Sidewinder FF2 joystick is really hard to make it work on VM.
As it's a VM running on a modern computer, I had to install USB2 driver on win98, and succeeded.
I've installed it and I still have the same problem than other users : error Code 10 in the device manager.
I remember correctly the installation procedure I used on my old win98 computer. I tryied several times after uninstalling completely the joystick (software suite and in the device manager) but still have the issue.

I begin to wonder if the goal is achievable

Hail to the Emperor !

Reply 13 of 23, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Win98 does not officially support USB2.0, but Sidewinder FF2 only requires USB1.1 Full-Speed which is fully supported in Win98.

I don't use VMware so I am not familiar with its USB stacks in guest environment. For QEMU, the simplest way is to pass-through the host USB device itself (not the controller) and has the USB device remapped in the emulated Intel PIIX3 USB1.1 controller for guest OS. Win98 has in-box USB1.1 driver that fully support Intel USB controller from PIIX3. This has worked for me in the past for certain USB device types, but I haven't tested any USB joystick or gamepad or any USB HID class device. It is likely that there could be unspecified amount of latency between host and guest responses and it is unknown if the latency would ruin the game play experience.

Reply 14 of 23, by FIVE-one

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed separatly two VM, one on VMware, the other one on Virtual box, using the same iso.
Virtual Box accept USB1 replication fine, I had no struggle at all installing the joystick. However the mess is with the sound card, unable to play MIDI, even with the AC97 tweak* and the sloppy framerate while in game.
On VMware, game runs smoothly with sounds and music, but the OS recognize and name my Sidewinder but always give that error Code:10 making it unusable...

Maybe I'll have to stick to the keyboard. But that's quite enraging as some people run the game on youtube on virtualbox with fine sound emulation (maybe in very low res) but with no music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLVkSVJUDP4

*tutorial for VirtualBox I used
https://duncanbowring.wordpress.com/2015/12/0 … -audio-drivers/

Hail to the Emperor !

Reply 15 of 23, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FIVE-one wrote on 2020-11-25, 23:08:
I installed separatly two VM, one on VMware, the other one on Virtual box, using the same iso. Virtual Box accept USB1 replicati […]
Show full quote

I installed separatly two VM, one on VMware, the other one on Virtual box, using the same iso.
Virtual Box accept USB1 replication fine, I had no struggle at all installing the joystick. However the mess is with the sound card, unable to play MIDI, even with the AC97 tweak* and the sloppy framerate while in game.
On VMware, game runs smoothly with sounds and music, but the OS recognize and name my Sidewinder but always give that error Code:10 making it unusable...

Maybe I'll have to stick to the keyboard. But that's quite enraging as some people run the game on youtube on virtualbox with fine sound emulation (maybe in very low res) but with no music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLVkSVJUDP4

*tutorial for VirtualBox I used
https://duncanbowring.wordpress.com/2015/12/0 … -audio-drivers/

I believe you need to have a driver for Win98 on VMware just like you needed the other drivers for the hardware. I could get MIDI to work on Windows XP but I haven't found drivers that support this on Win98.

Have you tried the originl VBox drivers for Windows 98? I remember it giving at least sound, if you don't have that.

Agathosdaimon wrote on 2020-06-11, 13:40:

okay i reinstalled if-22v5 and aplied the wined3d and now the menus are looking better, not perfect but more usable - however the problem now i am learning is that the in game movies crash the game - i think they use some indeo program which is incompatible with windows10. if i could figure out how to switch off video then things might be better

I just noticed Indeo is compatible on Windows 10. I need it in the Jane's CE games and it installed fine. Use v5. 11 from Ligos.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 17 of 23, by FIVE-one

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kjliew wrote on 2020-11-24, 02:51:

Seems to work fine on QEMU Win98SE VM in Direct3D hardware acceleration, including intro videos.
I am not a fan of realistic Flight Sims and I don't play or own this game. It is a borrowed CD sets out of curiosity. Typically the game would be played with special flight oriented stick, throttle and rudder controller. That part wasn't tested at all if they will work as good from VM. If anyone is interested in QEMU for realistic Flight Sims, then one got to figure that out.

After a few weeks tinkering with VMWare and VirtualBox, I can make a quick report about it : VMWare works the best at the moment, although it doesn't handle correctly the joystick, the game can be played with keyboard. Sound is supported and I didn't had any crash in game. If only VMWare supported USB joystick as well as VirtualBox do...

I'd like to give QEMU a try like you did. However I'm struggling to find a tutorial to make it work with QEMU Manager. Do you have any link you could share please ?

I'm already using this tutorial for QEMU Manager :
But can't find a release including QEMU 0.14.1 as said in the tutorial (kept at 0.11.1 at best)
https://pandorawiki.org/QEMU#Installing_Microsoft_Windows_98

Tryied Qtemu this morning but it's unable to launch QEMU properly on Windows 10 with latest QEMU releases.

Hail to the Emperor !

Reply 18 of 23, by mr.cat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Vanilla qemu won't help you much, you need to compile a customized version with kjliew's qemu-3dfx, see here:
Topic 60950

The current version works on a Linux host but I don't know what the situation is with mingw.
I know that robertmo has successfully run previous versions on a Windows host, he might be able to provide some pointers.