VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay so I know for a fact I have seen someone talk about removing the hardware check Heretic 2 does for audio but I cannot find it for the life of me. Here is my issue. I have Heretic 2 installed on Windows 10 and it runs just fine I can even use Creative Alchemy to restore 3D audio. However if I install A3D -Alchemy the game just will not startup period. Now I can always uninstall the A3D alchemy but it does not effect any other game then Heretic II and I like to use it as it is the only way to restore 3D audio in some games like Jedi Knight Dark Forces. SO if anyone knows how to disable the hardware check or can point me to the thread that describes it I would be very happy.

"Never pay more than 20 dollars for a computer game" - Guybrush Threepwood

Reply 1 of 8, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heretic II 1.00 -- dunno. Try to disable a3dapi loading with ACT?
Heretic II 1.06 -- try to delete both a3dapi.dll files in the Heretic II directory (.\ and .\base).

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 2 of 8, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gamecollector wrote on 2020-12-14, 19:15:

Heretic II 1.00 -- dunno. Try to disable a3dapi loading with ACT?
Heretic II 1.06 -- try to delete both a3dapi.dll files in the Heretic II directory (.\ and .\base).

not sure what ACT is but I did delete the DLL and that did not work

Reply 3 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Presbytier wrote on 2020-12-15, 04:53:

not sure what ACT

The Application Compatibility Toolkit. (I'm not sure if that's still a thing for Windows 10 or not? It doesn't come up very often anymore.)

Reply 4 of 8, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-12-15, 05:31:
Presbytier wrote on 2020-12-15, 04:53:

not sure what ACT

The Application Compatibility Toolkit. (I'm not sure if that's still a thing for Windows 10 or not? It doesn't come up very often anymore.)

Well it is now part of the Windows ADK, but I could not see how using this would help me. I did download it and disabled compatibility just to see.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hard … ted/adk-install

Reply 5 of 8, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would recommend doing a reinstall of the game along with reinstall of ALchemy. If any registry keys were left for Heretic II after uninstalling, I would suggest removing that too. Because some registries go to the VirtualStore.

Edit: Tried A3D Alchemy and Creative Alchemy, didn't face any problems, the game played just fine. A3D loaded just fine as indicated by the logo. If there is a way to disable A3D ALchemy for Heretic II, it will help. A3D ALchemy only makes the game run and doesn't make much A3D options available since the dsound used there (IndirectSound) didn't talk about emulating A3D or EAX, neither did I find hear any such effects. What I would suggest is to copy the dsound.dll from Creative Alchemy, and paste it to where A3D ALchemy is present, in my case its in Windows/SysWOW64. This worked fine for me at least in GTA3 with A3D 1.0 enabled

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 6 of 8, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-12-15, 06:10:

I would recommend doing a reinstall of the game along with reinstall of ALchemy. If any registry keys were left for Heretic II after uninstalling, I would suggest removing that too. Because some registries go to the VirtualStore.

Edit: Tried A3D Alchemy and Creative Alchemy, didn't face any problems, the game played just fine. A3D loaded just fine as indicated by the logo. If there is a way to disable A3D ALchemy for Heretic II, it will help. A3D ALchemy only makes the game run and doesn't make much A3D options available since the dsound used there (IndirectSound) didn't talk about emulating A3D or EAX, neither did I find hear any such effects. What I would suggest is to copy the dsound.dll from Creative Alchemy, and paste it to where A3D ALchemy is present, in my case its in Windows/SysWOW64. This worked fine for me at least in GTA3 with A3D 1.0 enabled

Just to clarify did you rename the dsound.dll to the a3d one or did you just replace the one in the syswow64 folder? Also yeah A3D alchemy uses indirect sound as it's backend so positional audio but no effects.

EDIT: Well did everything you suggested and the game does not launch 🤣 However I now see the A3D spalsh 🤣

Reply 7 of 8, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Presbytier wrote on 2020-12-15, 14:56:
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-12-15, 06:10:

Just to clarify did you rename the dsound.dll to the a3d one or did you just replace the one in the syswow64 folder? Also yeah A3D alchemy uses indirect sound as it's backend so positional audio but no effects.

EDIT: Well did everything you suggested and the game does not launch 🤣 However I now see the A3D spalsh 🤣

Replaced the a3dsnd.dll with the dsound.dll from Creative ALchemy.
Also DSOAL is compatible with A3D ALchemy, you could try that by coping the dsoal-aldrv.dll and alsoft.ini and rename dsound.dll to a3dsnd.dll to SysWOW64.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058