VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the GOG version of Unreal Gold and no matter what drivers i use I get a general protection fault. i have turned off DEP and I even used the latest unofficial 277 patch from old unreal. It just will not work. I have a disk copy of the regular Unreal and it crashes to black screen on launch. included is a pic of the error.

Attachments

"Never pay more than 20 dollars for a computer game" - Guybrush Threepwood

Reply 1 of 5, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

TO add to this I do not have this issue with other Unreal 1 engine games like Undying it works just fine.

Reply 3 of 5, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mothergoose729 wrote on 2020-12-16, 00:35:

What hardware are you trying to run it on?

I would try the unreal patch which adds support for proper open gl and directx

https://www.oldunreal.com/oldunrealpatches.html

I did try that patch. I have a GTX 1080

Reply 4 of 5, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you post or upload your game config? My setup is basically the same and it works well for me. You can find it in this directory or there abouts:

C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Unreal Gold\System\unreal.ini

Reply 5 of 5, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Presbytier wrote on 2020-12-16, 00:18:

I have the GOG version of Unreal Gold and no matter what drivers i use I get a general protection fault. i have turned off DEP and I even used the latest unofficial 277 patch from old unreal. It just will not work. I have a disk copy of the regular Unreal and it crashes to black screen on launch. included is a pic of the error.

The only time I get this error when the game is while using Software Renderer. Try using direct3d renderer, or Glide.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058