VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gopher666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Although I don't say it was the most sophisticated but we can call Battle Chess one of it's best for the DOS era:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6HYbQCRwgk

I wonder if you know any good GUI chess made for Win9X.

Reply 2 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember Fritz from the last century.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritz_(chess)

Errius wrote on 2020-12-21, 20:52:

I used GNUChess in those days.

Same here.
Ran the Win 3.1 version mainly, but I *think* there also was a Win32 version.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 12, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Netflix’s “The Queen’s Gambit” influence? 😀

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 4 of 12, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bruninho wrote on 2020-12-22, 06:10:

Do you intend to have another thread killed?

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 5 of 12, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not into chess but I know for sure that you're not asking for the "best" chess game, but the more eye-candy chess game.

I guess the best chess game should be defined using various metrics, like:
- Eye candy
- Playing algorithm
- Library depth
- Number of playing levels (to offer you a fair opponent that won't loss or obliterate you on 30 seconds)
- Teaching abilities (a tutor to teach you how to play or improve your playing abilities)

Although Battle Chess is "pretty", it lacks "punch" (chess experts will defeat it every time) and it won't help you to learn or improve your play. Most games will score high on some of the categories and bad on others, so the "best" game will highly depend on your priorities.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 6 of 12, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gopher666 wrote on 2020-12-21, 20:07:

Although I don't say it was the most sophisticated but we can call Battle Chess one of it's best for the DOS era:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6HYbQCRwgk

I wonder if you know any good GUI chess made for Win9X.

Zup wrote on 2020-12-22, 06:38:
I'm not into chess but I know for sure that you're not asking for the "best" chess game, but the more eye-candy chess game. […]
Show full quote

I'm not into chess but I know for sure that you're not asking for the "best" chess game, but the more eye-candy chess game.

I guess the best chess game should be defined using various metrics, like:
- Eye candy
- Playing algorithm
- Library depth
- Number of playing levels (to offer you a fair opponent that won't loss or obliterate you on 30 seconds)
- Teaching abilities (a tutor to teach you how to play or improve your playing abilities)

Although Battle Chess is "pretty", it lacks "punch" (chess experts will defeat it every time) and it won't help you to learn or improve your play. Most games will score high on some of the categories and bad on others, so the "best" game will highly depend on your priorities.

Power Chess (from Sierra) is the best and has all of that and more. And it only works and was made for Win9X.

It exists in two edition : the original Power Chess, and Power Chess '98.

Reply 7 of 12, by Gopher666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a lot, yeah that's all I found for Win3.1 GNU Chess 3.21 not too eyecandy 😉 This Power Chess I do remember I will give it a try.

Assuming that every1 is watching the idiotbox is foolish, I haven't watched TV in the last 20 years, not enough time for it but now that you saying:

The Queen's Gambit is a 2020 American coming-of-age period drama miniseries based on Walter Tevis's 1983 novel of the same name. It was created for Netflix by Scott Frank and Allan Scott. Beginning in the mid-1950s and proceeding into the 1960s, the story follows the life of an orphaned chess prodigy on her rise to the top of the chess world while struggling with emotional problems, drug problems, and alcohol dependency.

I might just going to watch this LoL.

Reply 8 of 12, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-12-22, 06:13:
Bruninho wrote on 2020-12-22, 06:10:

Do you intend to have another thread killed?

No, just a curious question!

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 9 of 12, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gopher666 wrote on 2020-12-22, 09:56:

The Queen's Gambit is a 2020 American coming-of-age period drama miniseries based on Walter Tevis's 1983 novel of the same name. It was created for Netflix by Scott Frank and Allan Scott. Beginning in the mid-1950s and proceeding into the 1960s, the story follows the life of an orphaned chess prodigy on her rise to the top of the chess world while struggling with emotional problems, drug problems, and alcohol dependency.

I might just going to watch this LoL.

You'll love it if you are genuinely interested in chess, since the series was released the popular interest in chess skyrocketed. Hence why I asked the question.

I am just watching it because of Anya Taylor-Joy ("Peaky Blinders", "Split", "Glass"). 😜 Although the story is really interesting; I can see the character desire to be the best player ever as something I can relate to.

Anyway back to topic, I remember playing this one in late 80's: https://www.myabandonware.com/game/battle-chess-et (Battle Chess), but it's for DOS not Win 9x. Closest to Windows I had played was a chess game for Windows XP.

But I think that the version of Battle Chess I had was quite buggy. EDIT: Now that I remember it, the floppy disk was defective...

EDIT 2: For Win 9x you might want to try one of the versions of Chessmaster X000 series, with the X being the version...

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 10 of 12, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you want 'eye candy' there is Star Wars Chess which was released in both DOS and Windows versions. It is similar in style to Battle Chess. The DOS version comes on 14 floppy disks IIRC.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 11 of 12, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2020-12-22, 04:42:

I remember Fritz from the last century.Ran the Win 3.1 version mainly, but I *think* there also was a Win32 version.

That's version 4. I have it installed in DOSBox, but also have a link to the executable on my desktop. (Same for Freecell)

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 12 of 12, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

TASC Chess CD was a CD-ROM that combined a teaching program (Chess Tutor) with a chess playing program (Chessica for Windows). Looks like it is still available (and possibly from other sources as well):
https://www.uscfsales.com/tasc-chess-cd.html

20122200.jpg
Filename
20122200.jpg
File size
132.68 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20122201.jpg
Filename
20122201.jpg