VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 31, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Possibility of choice is best thing in life.
If will make official $70 donation toolchain support tier on Github page with $10 donation redirected to nGLide, dgVoodoo, maybe even Qemu i will buy it.. i suppose that OpenGLide is already part of Linux not some standalone project which is accepting donations, but if not we can support it too.

Regarding of Requiem, game seems to support only up 1440x1050 resolution, is possible to make patch to support higher resolutions?

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 21 of 31, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am finding this very funny, my friend ... 😁

How would splitting the donation improve possibility of choice and your unrelenting persistence in making qemu-3dfx the middleman to donate to other projects?

I will just take my rightful portion, you should keep the rest and donate to other projects in your own name and be recognized. How about that? 😉

As for Requiem Direct3D native resolution, I will check it out and get back. I thought it should work up to max resolutions supported by VBEMP 9x at the respective color depth. Otherwise, WineD3D scaling can be used to scale from the max resolution supported by the game up to the max, which is 2560x1600 for 16/32bpp.

Reply 22 of 31, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ruthan wrote on 2021-05-31, 06:58:

Regarding of Requiem, game seems to support only up 1440x1050 resolution, is possible to make patch to support higher resolutions?

I could have Requiem Direct3D rendered at 2560x1600 the max resolution supported by VBEMP 9x on QEMU. I also tried 1600x1200, 1920x1200 and 2560x1440, they all worked. The game enumerated all the resolutions supported by the display driver, but its drop-down list wasn't enough to show them all and the game crashed when drop-down list was selected, potentially buffer overflowed.

You can hex-edit Gamers\latest.cfg at BYTE offset 0x0E to select the desired resolution. Value 0x11 selects 2560x1600 for VBEMP 9x on QEMU. If you happen to run the game native on Win98 retro PC, then you have to trial-and-error the correct value for your desired resolution, but I doubt Win98 retro PC would ever hit its drop-down list buffer limit.

ReqRes.png
Filename
ReqRes.png
File size
493.93 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 23 of 31, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry for delay..

Donation - No, that other part of donation, should be official mentioned on project page as i wrote this bigger donation should be optimal (i make sense only for "funny" people as me, if you understand it doesnt matters, for me it matters and make sense), how exactly you will distribute it its your thing, until all major projects will get at least 1$.

Resolution - im not big fan of low level HEx edits, few people are.. Can you pleas make some small gui wizard, to setup resolution through some combobox similar to GoGs Dosbox setup wizard (small windows with combobox and 1 label)? It would be really great if it could work with old and new Windows up to 10.. because there is same problem.

On my Windows 10 system is D3D limited to 1024x768 for some reason.. I dunno what change it the past i have installation, where resolutions where limited to 1440x1050 or something like that. I have Nvidia card.

Of could it would be nice to include that DirectX6.1 fix too..

It would be nice for zillions of GoG and Steam users of game and you can include to some Qemu 3Dfx project advertising into some readme..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 24 of 31, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The game is also available from GoG. Just pay them $9.99 or patiently wait for on-sale events. It is DRM-free and it says it supports Windows (7, 8, 10).
https://www.gog.com/game/requiem_avenging_angel

If the games are from GoG, perhaps they may also work with VMware 3D acceleration. So never shall one ever look into Qemu 3Dfx again.

Reply 25 of 31, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kjliew wrote on 2021-07-23, 19:37:

The game is also available from GoG. Just pay them $9.99 or patiently wait for on-sale events. It is DRM-free and it says it supports Windows (7, 8, 10).
https://www.gog.com/game/requiem_avenging_angel

If the games are from GoG, perhaps they may also work with VMware 3D acceleration. So never shall one ever look into Qemu 3Dfx again.

I support GOG's DRM free business model and support them whenever I can . IMHO, 10$ is very reasonable for a game that required work patching/testing to be made compatible with a modern OS .

Reply 27 of 31, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im also far from too much praising Gog releases.. they usually make so quick fix, is something, very rarely they actually modify exe files..

I have both Steam and Gog version and problem is same for both, they even have that DirectX 6.1 problem. Usage with Qemu 3Dfx would mean that these would be executable on older OSes and Gog and Steam is supporting Win 7+.. there is some WinXP Steam hacked client which maybe still working, maybe not.. With GoG its usually worse, they almost often inbuild some checker or piece of gog special data format or something like that which blocking usage of these games on older systems.

Phil and other has Vogons threads and sheet about it, lots of games could be adjusted but it means lots of manual editing and if its working.. Unless someone will make some automated conversion engine and scripts, it sucks.. unless you are really desperate, that why still make sense to keep or retail releases, or their images, its quicker way.

I tried to play Interstate76 multiple times, i made it running on Win10, but its bad from design - hardcoded for 20 FPS, so it nice to look at youtube videos, but play it, not for me.. because without in mission quick save, its harder that supposedly so hard games as Dark Souls for me.

Reply 28 of 31, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ruthan wrote on 2021-07-23, 21:39:

... still make sense to keep or retail releases, or their images, its quicker way.

Oh yeah, you're absolutely right. It is always a great pleasure to be able to keep the retail releases, properly archive them and the big boxes put up for show on the shelves. Those physical media would never be touched again. Invest in personal NAS or cloud storage to keep them safe.

It would be an even tremendous value if they can still be played in "pristine condition", not just on Windows 10, but on Windows 11 or any future Windows, onto Linux and macOS. Never shall one ever worry of Windows updates breaking games compatibility or hold on to old Windows versions just to maintain games compatibility.

Reply 29 of 31, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice with Windows is that usually is someone eventually able to make old things working and even enhance them with new features.. only its taking time sometimes lots of years and especially for not major titles. With Windows are quite stable and once something is fixed for Windows 9x game to make it working with Vista+ its easy to keep it running.. in comparison with some native Linux games releases from the past.. I tried couple of them, they were impossible to run and there is not community as Windows games community to make fixes for them, in general.. Its so bad, that i dunno 5,7 years ago even Carmack said that native Linux ports sucks and Wine is better way.

Requiem is already running and something like resolution patch is one of easier fixes. For some reasons these 1995-2000 games had often some stupid resolution caps or resolutions were hardcoded.

I would expected if game would be added on Steam or Gog, that someone will make such quick patch.. especially Gog, but they hope that community will fix it itself and they will safe some manhours on development, testing and bug fixing, support etc.. Because if is something community patch, they can always say sorry, but its beta quality, unsupported thing.. in other hand such patches and enhancers are helping make much better sales for free.

Reply 30 of 31, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ruthan wrote on 2021-07-25, 17:56:

Nice with Windows is that usually is someone eventually able to make old things working and even enhance them with new features.. only its taking time sometimes lots of years and especially for not major titles. With Windows are quite stable and once something is fixed for Windows 9x game to make it working with Vista+ its easy to keep it running..

I think you're right about it for the past 20 years or so. For the next 10 years, things aren't looking so well for what could have been achievable in the past. The heightened software security, hardened OS runtime and obsolescence of 32-bit computing are going to make things extremely tough. It already took many years in the past to achieve somewhat favorable outcomes, you could imagine how much more time it would take then, if it didn't mean eternity.

DOSBox is my inspiration to be able to replay great DOS games anytime & anywhere on any platforms, in a timeless manner. Many had hoped (including myself) that it would better support Win9x. Its image booting feature for supporting booter games was cleverly repurposed to boot Win95/98 if it was just a coincidence.

Let see how many past old Windows games would go down the drain with Windows 11. I only know QEMU will be even better on Windows 11 with WHPX supporting APIC interrupts virtualization similar to KVM on Linux.

Reply 31 of 31, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, it might not be the answer you liked to hear. What kind of answer did you expect? Donation should be done wholeheartedly. If you don't like it, then I can't help.

I hope, that you will add that one donation tier for me - that means sentence to Github main page about additional more community friendly donation tier, future will tell if my tier is so stupid as you thing or not.. possibility of choice best thing in life.. Name RuThaN mad tier, i dont care.

There is always thinking about donations its a bit as Kickstarter, you support it or not, on Kickstarter is multi tier system standard.

There is not real choice, because there is not real alternative, but i dont like to be forced between rock and hard place.. I will maybe even buy than only one standard level if i have to, but i will wait, i will try to avoid it and would be one unhappy customer.. instead of one happy customer which made deal what he wanted and believe that is better for overall community and project future too.