VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I managed to get MechWarrior 2 working on Windows 10 through the Windows XP patch, but the sound doesn't work anymore. And also I had to replace winmm.dll in Windows directory. Is it possible to redirect MECH2.EXE to a .dll file in the same directory?

Update: This is old information.

I have a old retail copy of MechWarrior 2 Pentium Edition(v1.0) that I could play on my Windows 95 machine. A few years prior, I would use MechVM to run this game on Windows 7 and would work fine. But now under Windows 10, the game crashes as I start anything like Trial in 'Cadet Training' or anything else. I would be using PCem to run this but, the performance isn't satisfactory, with the machine running at 60-70 perc at all times and the sound cracks.

Is there a way I can play this game again?
Note that Pentium Edition doesn't include DOS versions.

Last edited by BEEN_Nath_58 on 2021-03-11, 11:15. Edited 1 time in total.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 2 of 34, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A new report from Event Viewer reports additional 2 .dll files, 'WINMM.DLL' and 'AcGenral.dll'. I don't know what the second one is.

Reply 3 of 34, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The second one I presumed is when Windows 10 detected a known application compatibility and tried to provide its layers of workarounds. The same DLL was there since Windows XP.

I literally gave up trying to make Mechwarrior 2 working on Windows 10. I could patch it all-the-way to work on any version of WinXP~Win7 (never had Win8/8.1 to check) without any *compatibility* options. For all previously known patches for the game, the compatibility option was still required on WinXP~Win7 to make sound working through WINMM.DLL. Unfortunately, Win10 broke that, you could make the game work by disabling audio hardware from device manager (AC97 or HD Audio controller) or put a copy of WINMM.DLL from WinXP into the game folder. The later was just to avoid the crash, it did not solve the broken audio.

The game is notorious of running poorly with fast modern machines when frame rate exceeds 45FPS. Running the game on QEMU would provide the means to limit frame rate while maintaining persistent 30 FPS throughout the gameplay in any circumstances.

Reply 4 of 34, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kjliew wrote on 2021-02-23, 20:17:

The second one I presumed is when Windows 10 detected a known application compatibility and tried to provide its layers of workarounds. The same DLL was there since Windows XP.

I literally gave up trying to make Mechwarrior 2 working on Windows 10. I could patch it all-the-way to work on any version of WinXP~Win7 (never had Win8/8.1 to check) without any *compatibility* options. For all previously known patches for the game, the compatibility option was still required on WinXP~Win7 to make sound working through WINMM.DLL. Unfortunately, Win10 broke that, you could make the game work by disabling audio hardware from device manager (AC97 or HD Audio controller) or put a copy of WINMM.DLL from WinXP into the game folder. The later was just to avoid the crash, it did not solve the broken audio.

The game is notorious of running poorly with fast modern machines when frame rate exceeds 45FPS. Running the game on QEMU would provide the means to limit frame rate while maintaining persistent 30 FPS throughout the gameplay in any circumstances.

I installed the game through MechVM and put a Windows XP SP3 winmm.dll, but the game crashes still. Now I no longer get the WAIL32.DLL and AcGenral.DLL signatures when the game crashes. Sometimes it loads with MechVM on XP but again crashes with error:

Edit: This error only arrives in Trials of Grievance and Wolf Clan Cadet Training. This is again applicable in XP. In both Ready Rooms it crashes for ntdll.dll, in John Falcon Cadet Training its wail32.dll. 🙁

Attachments

Reply 5 of 34, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The game now works on Windows 10 but the sound is missing. For some reason the game pauses, if I don't press Ctrl. Like I want to exit the game, I choose Flee to Windows. It will bring to a red screen of the mech destruction and then pause there until I press Ctrl.

Attachments

Reply 6 of 34, by PerryRhodan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Been Nath 58, I'm using Windows 8.1 and the game always crashes when launching a mission. I've tried every patch and fix that I could find, but it will not work. I even tried dgVoodoo 2 which doesn't work either. So how did you manage to get it working under Windows 10.?

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: mercswin.exe
P2: 0.0.0.0
P3: 3513235e
P4: WINMM.dll
P5: 6.3.9600.17415
P6: 54503b0a
P7: c0000005
P8: 0000492f
P9:
P10:

Thanks!

Reply 7 of 34, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PerryRhodan wrote on 2022-04-12, 12:05:
Hello Been Nath 58, I'm using Windows 8.1 and the game always crashes when launching a mission. I've tried every patch and fix […]
Show full quote

Hello Been Nath 58, I'm using Windows 8.1 and the game always crashes when launching a mission. I've tried every patch and fix that I could find, but it will not work. I even tried dgVoodoo 2 which doesn't work either. So how did you manage to get it working under Windows 10.?

Fault bucket , type 0

Problem signature:
P9:
P10:

Thanks!

Read here. The problem you described, is basically what I fixed. You are using MechWarrior 2 Mercenaries, that I didn't test, but I fixed the exact same issue with WINMM.DLL. Go here: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.

Let me know if it works, since the game is already installed you might just want to follow from the DxWnd part of RUNNING THE GAME.

Reply 8 of 34, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PerryRhodan wrote on 2022-04-12, 12:05:
Hello Been Nath 58, I'm using Windows 8.1 and the game always crashes when launching a mission. I've tried every patch and fix […]
Show full quote

Fault bucket , type 0

Problem signature:
P9:
P10:

Thanks!

I forgot to notify you of one thing. The shim is applicable to MECH2.EXE. So you have to rename mercswin.exe to mech2.exe.

Reply 10 of 34, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deffnator wrote on 2022-04-15, 00:22:

I was thinking here, mainly with winevdm for 16 bit
it would be possible to make it work with the 3dfx upgrades and GBL?

Was there a 3dfx upgrade for Windows Mechwarrior 2? I remember Titanium Edition has Glide support and it works fine too with my fix. But I don't know if there's a upgrade for the Windows version, there's one for the DOS

Ghost Bear's Legacy should work fine too.

It would be good if you can mention the edition from here:

http://www.mech2.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=281

Reply 11 of 34, by PerryRhodan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, BEEN_Nath_58.😀 I followed your guide and I have managed to get both the software and the hard-to-come-by US D3D versions working which is on REMOVED if anyone is interested in trying it. The only problem I have now is that under Windows 8.1 both versions run way too fast. Is there a fix?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Box1.jpg
    Filename
    Box1.jpg
    File size
    140.38 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 12 of 34, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PerryRhodan wrote on 2022-06-26, 09:51:

Thanks, BEEN_Nath_58.😀 I followed your guide and I have managed to get both the software and the hard-to-come-by US D3D versions working which is on REMOVED if anyone is interested in trying it. The only problem I have now is that under Windows 8.1 both versions run way too fast. Is there a fix?

Thanks!

Thanks for reminding, the Windows 8 problem was fixed and I forgot to update the guide. Please return to that site, I updated some things. This will resolve the speed issue. Executable still should be mech2.exe

Reply 13 of 34, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-06-26, 12:19:
PerryRhodan wrote on 2022-06-26, 09:51:

Thanks!

Thanks for reminding, the Windows 8 problem was fixed and I forgot to update the guide. Please return to that site, I updated some things. This will resolve the speed issue. Executable still should be mech2.exe

@PerryRhodan
I meant here actually
A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.

Reply 14 of 34, by PerryRhodan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello BEEN_Nath_58, the MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat Pentium Edition now works. Thanks! However, I still can't get the Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries D3D that I posted above to work, as it crashes with a black screen when starting a mission. I've tried with dgVoodoo and DXWind and without, but it's the same result, the game crashes when starting a mission. That's with the new DXWind profile you posted (mech2patch.zip). The older mw2titpatching nearly works, but the cockpit graphics and colours are messed up and it runs too fast. See Image.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Mech2MD3D.jpg
    Filename
    Mech2MD3D.jpg
    File size
    200.44 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 15 of 34, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PerryRhodan wrote on 2022-06-27, 10:37:

Hello BEEN_Nath_58, the MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat Pentium Edition now works. Thanks! However, I still can't get the Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries D3D that I posted above to work, as it crashes with a black screen when starting a mission. I've tried with dgVoodoo and DXWind and without, but it's the same result, the game crashes when starting a mission. That's with the new DXWind profile you posted (mech2patch.zip). The older mw2titpatching nearly works, but the cockpit graphics and colours are messed up and it runs too fast. See Image.

Thanks!

Ok there are still some thing that need to be changed. .sdb files work on the principle of the executable name and optionally if it is set to check the executable attributes. Now when you first reported of the Mercenaries, I assumed it to be the first release, the software rendered version similar to MechWarrior 2 Pentium Ed. But since you are using the Enhanced Edition, which used Direct3D, you are required to use the Titanium patch, since Titanium edition is HW accelerated as well and presumably on the same engine.

So what you have to do here is, install the mw2titpatching.zip and rename the executable to mech2tit.exe. I have the Mercenaries edition now so I will test and I thing some things will need to be changed, but till then you could try what I mentioned.

Reply 17 of 34, by PerryRhodan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi BEEN_Nath_58, just to let you know I've been messing about with various 3D wrappers and I tried using DXWind & dgVoodoo 1.50 beta2 with the Mechwarriors 2 Titanium Edition 3dfx and now everything works apart from the game running too fast under Windows 8.1. Also, still the same problem with the enhanced D3d Version. So far only the MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat Pentium Edition (software) works perfectly under Windows 8.1. Is there any way to increase resolution with the W95 software edition?

Thanks!

Update! I tried using the MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat Pentium Edition DXwind profile that you uploaded with the 3dfx edition which now works at the right speed using Mw2tit.exe

Thanks!

Attachments

Reply 18 of 34, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PerryRhodan wrote on 2022-06-27, 17:42:
Hi BEEN_Nath_58, just to let you know I've been messing about with various 3D wrappers and I tried using DXWind & dgVoodoo 1.50 […]
Show full quote

Hi BEEN_Nath_58, just to let you know I've been messing about with various 3D wrappers and I tried using DXWind & dgVoodoo 1.50 beta2 with the Mechwarriors 2 Titanium Edition 3dfx and now everything works apart from the game running too fast under Windows 8.1. Also, still the same problem with the enhanced D3d Version. So far only the MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat Pentium Edition (software) works perfectly under Windows 8.1. Is there any way to increase resolution with the W95 software edition?

Thanks!

Update! I tried using the MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat Pentium Edition DXwind profile that you uploaded with the 3dfx edition which now works at the right speed using Mw2tit.exe

Thanks!

I would have updated the profile for Titanium edition as well but I have a natural calamity in my region so it was a matter of time to change the PE profile. If you can, the only changes I made are change the frame rate to 50 in Timings tab and enable tweak:SlowDownExceptions in Tweaks tab, of DxWnd. You need to enable Expert mode for it which is present in the menu bar.

Regarding the resolution, you can maximize the resolution to a minimum of 640x480 in game but DxWnd has upscaling options as well as well as filters for it. What do you want to upscale it to?

Anyways I am working on the Enhanced D3D version as well, I will update when I finish it!

Reply 19 of 34, by PerryRhodan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello BEEN_Nath_58, 1080p would be great. 😀 I've been messing about with the Enhanced D3D version for the last 4 hours, changing various video settings in DXWind & dgVoodoo 2 with some success. I managed to get the game running a few times, but the game would crash after a minute, but if I used exactly the same settings to relaunch the game again it would no longer work at all which is weird. I noticed this version has so much better sound & music than the other versions Here's hoping you can get this version working under Windows 8.1. 😀 I'll keep messing about with the settings and also try what you suggested.

Thanks!

Here's a video of the Enhanced D3D Edition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOWtW5orUmw