VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I played Jane's F-15 with the original CD on my PC. I used nGlide for 3Dfx emulation and the game even worked on Software mode. However when I try to run the game in Direct3D mode, the game gives an 'Direct Draw initialization error (code 830)'. What should I do to make this game run on Direct3D acceleration? The game doesn't require any kind of 'ddraw.dll' to be put in game folder to run the game properly. The game still work with many glitches if I put a 'ddraw.dll' but the 'Primary Display Driver' option goes missing.

Moreover after being in the menu for some time, the music stops playing.

Last edited by BEEN_Nath_58 on 2021-02-27, 20:10. Edited 1 time in total.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 6, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2021-02-27, 05:33:

I played Jane's F-15 with the original CD on my PC. I used nGlide for 3Dfx emulation and the game even worked on Software mode. However when I try to run the game in Direct3D mode, the game gives an 'Direct Draw initialization error (code 830)'. What should I do to make this game run on Direct3D acceleration? The game doesn't require any kind of 'ddraw.dll' to be put in game folder to run the game properly. The game still work with many glitches if I put a 'ddraw.dll' but the 'Primary Display Driver' option goes missing.

Have you tried dgvoodoo 2?

You can see here
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Jane%27s_F-15

The game requires a Glide and DirectDraw wrapper to be playable on Windows 7. A joystick is required for proper gameplay in […]
Show full quote

The game requires a Glide and DirectDraw wrapper to be playable on Windows 7.
A joystick is required for proper gameplay in Expert mode.
DirectX compatibility is only available through a patch and does not work on modern versions of Windows.

Modern Windows Patching • Link

The menus for F-15 do not work correctly on Windows 7 and requires a DirectDraw wrapper to fix. ddwrapper is the only DirectDraw wrapper that works with F-15 currently. The simulation will work correctly if nGlide is used to emulate the 3dfx renderer. Certain movie files that are played in the menus can cause crashes.

Reply 2 of 6, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does Direct3D renderer give more options for higher resolution? Otherwise, 3Dfx Glide renderer will always provide better quality and experience. I usually won't bother with Direct3D when 3Dfx Glide work unless there is a reason to play with it.

Reply 3 of 6, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
willow wrote on 2021-02-27, 19:38:
Have you tried dgvoodoo 2? […]
Show full quote
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2021-02-27, 05:33:

Have you tried dgvoodoo 2?

You can see here
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Jane%27s_F-15

The game requires a Glide and DirectDraw wrapper to be playable on Windows 7. A joystick is required for proper gameplay in […]
Show full quote

The game requires a Glide and DirectDraw wrapper to be playable on Windows 7.
A joystick is required for proper gameplay in Expert mode.
DirectX compatibility is only available through a patch and does not work on modern versions of Windows.

Modern Windows Patching • Link

The menus for F-15 do not work correctly on Windows 7 and requires a DirectDraw wrapper to fix. ddwrapper is the only DirectDraw wrapper that works with F-15 currently. The simulation will work correctly if nGlide is used to emulate the 3dfx renderer. Certain movie files that are played in the menus can cause crashes.

Yeah they said that Direct3D can't be used. I wonder if someone has found a method to make it work again.

I forgot to mention about the sound halt, do you know about it?

Reply 4 of 6, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kjliew wrote on 2021-02-27, 20:09:

Does Direct3D renderer give more options for higher resolution? Otherwise, 3Dfx Glide renderer will always provide better quality and experience. I usually won't bother with Direct3D when 3Dfx Glide work unless there is a reason to play with it.

I could never try it so I would like to see myself first.

For now the sound issues gives more problems to me

Reply 5 of 6, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It does not. While the option showed up, WineD3D failed with "DirectDraw Initialization Error (380)" - fixed.
So just use Glide, OpenGlide seemed to work well, too, and scale to any QEMU desktop resolution. Intro FMV played OK. You can also limit the game frame rate if it is too fast. Installed and run directly from CD V1.02F from the game's native Win98 VM, patched to 1.17F just to check out the Direct3D option.

JaneF15.png
Filename
JaneF15.png
File size
200.47 KiB
Views
File comment
Jane F15
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception