VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I want to play GTA2 on my main machine, but the game requires the CD which has the SafeDisc(the thread started with me typing SecuROM) DRM. I am not able to find any crack for the latest version and the only way to play the game on Windows 8/8.1/10 is to use the Enhanced GTA2 mod which removes the CD Audio. So I want to play the game with the CD for which I need Windows 10 to detect the CD and load the SafeDisc driver. Is there any way to do this?

Last edited by BEEN_Nath_58 on 2021-03-21, 19:12. Edited 1 time in total.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 4 of 34, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote on 2021-03-21, 08:57:

Yes: https://github.com/ericwj/PsSecDrv (there's other ways to do basically the same thing too, xcomcmdr's answer is very poorly researched).

I stand corrected.

Although I must say that it was blocked by MS because of security reasons. And workaround that work right now might not in the future.

A crack would be a future-proof solution.

SPBHM wrote on 2021-03-21, 09:17:

windows 10 32bit seems to be a lot more compatible with older stuff also, might worth a try?

The 32 bit version has Windows on Windows for 16 bit Windows executables and NTVDM for DOS executables.
Not great, not terrible.
OTOH, it only recognizes 4 GB of RAM...

Reply 5 of 34, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-03-21, 09:25:

Although I must say that it was blocked by MS because of security reasons.

Yes, but basically everything to do with playing old games on a modern computer is a massive security risk. I mean:

A crack would be a million times worse. Downloading and running untrusted binaries from the internet?

Reply 6 of 34, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2021-03-21, 08:57:

Yes: https://github.com/ericwj/PsSecDrv (there's other ways to do basically the same thing too, xcomcmdr's answer is very poorly researched).

I am poor at using PowerShell but I will surely give it a try.

SPBHM wrote on 2021-03-21, 09:17:

windows 10 32bit seems to be a lot more compatible with older stuff also, might worth a try?

It isn't compatible with old DRMs still. I don't think there is any pre-2002 game that I own, out of the 248 that works on 32-bit OS and not on 64-bit, only if you exclude the installer.

ZellSF wrote on 2021-03-21, 09:36:

A crack would be a million times worse. Downloading and running untrusted binaries from the internet?

I wouldn't try them from a unknow cracker or such. For reputed cracking groups, I could use them but this isn't allowed on Vogons so I am taking another route.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-03-22, 05:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 34, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote on 2021-03-21, 09:36:

You can compare it to the original or scan it first... Run it in a VM at first...
I prefer a crack from a known good source than the flawed rootkit that is SecuROM constantly running in the background and making your computer an open target...

But the real fault lies in the hands of the devs/publisher who should not have put a DRM in the first place.
We have to deal with the consequences know...

Reply 8 of 34, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-03-21, 10:21:

I prefer a crack from a known good source than the flawed rootkit that is SecuROM constantly running in the background and making your computer an open target...

It's not a network service. It's as secure as the software you run.

Which if you install lots of game cracks from the internet, sure isn't very secure, but then again it's not really the source of the problem is it?

The same malware that you would be potentially running that way can probably do a lot of harm without targetting secdrv (which would be a very weird thing to target in the first place).

Reply 9 of 34, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why did MS block it then ?

It seems to me that it was a bit of an overreaction, then.

ZellSF wrote:

The same malware that you would be potentially running that way can probably do a lot of harm without targetting secdrv

Those 'malware'do not exist. They are cracked games, nothing more, nothing less.
Besides, most of the time I deal with SafeDisc, and remove it with unsafedisc. Thankfully, I rarely have to deal with SecuROM.

Reply 10 of 34, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-03-21, 11:01:

Why did MS block it then ?

If it was running on 100% of Windows computers, it would make a lot of sense to target it.

And while as I said, malware can do a lot of harm without it, with it malware can also affect other users / the system itself*. The bigger security risk is still having a user that runs malware, not having an exploitable system.

* For this to be relevant, the user needs to either have limited privileges or click "No" on UAC prompts when they're not 100% sure why the program needs escalation. When was the last time you said "No" to a UAC prompt?

xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-03-21, 11:01:

Those 'malware'do not exist. They are cracked games, nothing more, nothing less.

There are certainly cracked games that contain malware. Maybe if you're careful you'll never run into them, but implying that no cracked games contain malware is a ton more dangerous than telling people they can re-enable secdrv.

Personally I like to give the advice that a system that's used to play retro games really can't be a secure system. If you work with sensitive information, get a separate computer for it.

Reply 11 of 34, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2021-03-21, 06:36:

I want to play GTA2 on my main machine, but the game requires the CD which has the SecuROM DRM. I am not able to find any crack for the latest version and the only way to play the game on Windows 8/8.1/10 is to use the Enhanced GTA2 mod which removes the CD Audio. So I want to play the game with the CD for which I need Windows 10 to detect the CD and load the SecuROM driver. Is there any way to do this?

Securom works with windows 10. No crack is need.
Only some old starforces versions and all safedisc versions doesn't work with windows 10

Reply 12 of 34, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GTA 2 is infected with SafeDisc not SecuROM.

ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄúÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´ ³ Grand Theft Auto 2 v10.3 ( […]
Show full quote

ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄúÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´
³ Grand Theft Auto 2 v10.3 (Coop 10.3) ³
³ ³
ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄúÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ
ÉËÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍËÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍË»
̼ Supplier(s) : tAC CRACKiNG º Release Date : 11 February 2000 ȹ
º Cracker(s) : tAC º Protection : C-Dilla/Safedisc º
º Packager(s) : tAC º Type : N/A º
º Requested? : Nope! º Where: : N/A º
º Crack/Fix? : º No. Of Files : 1 x 1.44 MB º
Ì» File Name : tac-g213.zip º Rating : [N/Axxxxxxx] x/10

Last edited by DosFreak on 2021-03-21, 13:41. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 13 of 34, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, I have the "Rockstar classics" release of GTA2. It doesn't need CDs, but I don't know if it had some other protection.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 15 of 34, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2021-03-21, 13:36:

ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄúÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´ ³ Grand Theft Auto 2 v10.3 ( […]
Show full quote

³ ³

Discrete_BOB_058 speak about securom not safedisc.

If it's safedisc, it's normal that don't function with windows 10. If it's securom it's not normal.

SafeDisc DRM on the original 1999 release.
SecuROM DRM on Grand Theft Auto Classics Collection.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_2

Reply 16 of 34, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Show full quote

³ ³

I got confused with both of them, but I clarified I am talking about SafeDisc and not SecuROM, thanks for bringing to my notice.

Zup wrote on 2021-03-21, 13:41:

Also, I have the "Rockstar classics" release of GTA2. It doesn't need CDs, but I don't know if it had some other protection.

PCGW says both of them have some protection.

xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-03-21, 13:58:

Well, just use Unesafedisc them. Problem solved.

The problem is, it says it got decrypted but there is no change in file or date. It doesn't work with the .icd file. I even tried decrypting on Windows XP but to no avail.

Last edited by BEEN_Nath_58 on 2021-03-21, 15:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 34, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
willow wrote on 2021-03-21, 15:21:
Discrete_BOB_058 speak about securom not safedisc. […]
Show full quote

Show full quote

³ ³

Discrete_BOB_058 speak about securom not safedisc.

If it's safedisc, it's normal that don't function with windows 10. If it's securom it's not normal.

SafeDisc DRM on the original 1999 release.
SecuROM DRM on Grand Theft Auto Classics Collection.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_2

Mistake from my side, I was talking about SafeDisc. I checked PCGW but there was only the recommendation to take the mod

Reply 18 of 34, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks to DosFreak's NFO info of the game, I was able to obtain a no-CD for the game. Although a tool like unSafeDisc would be better, the one I got does work well with audio and videos.

Reply 19 of 34, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-03-21, 13:58:

Well, just use Unesafedisc them. Problem solved.

I don't think unSafedisc works for all Safedisc versions. I don't know about GTA2 (last time I tried it I think I just re-enabled secdrv).

Apparently, RELOADED released a universal loader that works for newer versions, I haven't tested it. Since I have a problem game I've failed to get running without secdrv earlier, I plan to though.