VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Wissensspeicher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Howdy!

since my own attempts at troubleshooting have been fruitless thus far, and I also couldn't find anything related to my particular problem on the net, I figured this would be the place to ask for advice! As stated in the title, digital CD audio playback for mixed data/audio CD-ROMs appears to be prone to breaking on my system, without a clear pattern or method to reproduce it, BUT I'm very positive it's a software-related issue only. Probably down to Win10 if I had to guess...

Anyway, I've tried to narrow down the issue as much as possible...unsuccessfully, but at least found a couple of pointers:

* Can occur with any game that uses CD audio tracks
* Two DVD+-RW drives, connected to different controllers (AMD B450, PCIe SATA addon card). No change in behaviour and they work fine otherwise
* Physical media are fine, this isn't due to scratched discs skipping and doesn't sound like it either. Happens with CD-RWs too and affects every track on the disc
* Cannot be fixed ingame once triggered, for instance by switching radio stations in Grand Theft Auto. Restarting the application does, though
* May happen after 5 min, 30 min or sometimes not at all for even during a 1 1/2h session
* Playback in WMP seems reliable? Never bugged out once thus far
* There aren't any problems with other audio sources, only CD-ROMs

I'm at a complete loss at this point, honestly. Any ideas?

Much obliged!

Attachments

• Filename
    cdaudio.mp3
    File size
    159.79 KiB
    Downloads
    29 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 2, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do not know why this happens but I am also experiencing audio glitches with win10 latest updates, it started 2~3 months ago.
If I put my system to sleep and then wake it then the screen capture function and "snip & sketch" program behave like they use 110% of cpu time and I get severe audio stutters.
In order to recover I need to reboot or don't have the system enter sleep mode.
I don't know what ms did with the audio subsystem in latest win10 but it really suxx big time. I am using a SB AE-5 Plus that is a new product that receives updates and support , it's not like I am using decades old drivers - and even if I did I had the same issue with my good old x-fi titanium and a system format did not help.
Very annoying stuff.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 2, by Wissensspeicher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You tell me!

Guess my issue is so obscure that nobody has any idea or tips as to what to do? Very unfortunate, I was afraid of that...
I also tried to set up a virtual drive, but none of the somewhat reputable offerings I installed briefly gave the option to play audio tracks from a mounted image, not even from inside Windows Explorer. My images (BIN+CUE) seem to be fine when looking at them with ImgBurn, furthermore I also used the same ones to burn those CD-RWs for troubleshooting purposes.

Anything I'm missing here? My understanding is that, for instance, Virtual CloneDrive should be compatible when it comes to mounting mixed data/audio images with full functionality.

Much obliged!