VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by brandonsoards

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a glitch that I have not been able to find any support for, and as such, I fear it is unique to me.

If my Windows-7 computer switches to 256 Color Mode, the output displays as Black & White (Bitmap, Not Grayscale). This occurs if a game switches to 256 colors or if I manually switch to 256 colors in any mode / resolution size.

What I have already tried:

• Different Monitors
  • Different Graphic Cards & Brands
  • Different HDMI Cables
  • Change Output Dynamic Range
  • Different Resolutions & Refresh Rates
  • Different Monitor Profiles
  • Killing Explorer

If I take a screenshot while this is happening and view it later, it appears as though it has a 256-color palette. To illustrate the real output I have taken a photo.

I have tried to not bug the community with this issue, but I've failed to make any progress on my own for a year. I would really appreciate any notions on how to fix this.

Attachments

Reply 2 of 7, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

About killing the Explorer process, did you do that prior to running a game which uses the 256 color mode?

There is also some workarounds at PCGamingWiki related to the 256 color mode, I know that your problem is not with rainbow colors but perhaps you can try some of these such as the registry hack.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 3 of 7, by brandonsoards

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-08-14, 18:27:

About killing the Explorer process, did you do that prior to running a game which uses the 256 color mode?

I've typically killed the explorer after the game launches with a .bat file and delays, but I've tried both ways without any effect on the black & white issue.

Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-08-14, 18:27:

There is also some workarounds at PCGamingWiki related to the 256 color mode, I know that your problem is not with rainbow colors but perhaps you can try some of these such as the registry hack.

That has been a great resource. I've used all of them except Display Changer II , I've found it to be just a bit daunting to get configured. Some solutions that get games out of 256-color mode work, anything that tries to simply correct color palette issues leaves me with black & white.

I fear that I caused the issue at some point with an attempted fix that I have since lost track of and therefor don't know how to reverse. I could just start over again with a fresh install of Win 7, it just hurts a bit as I have gotten over 600 old CD-based games working thru various tweaks and patches that in my haste I didn't document perfectly.

Reply 4 of 7, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some third-party utilities may cause issues in the long run. When Windows 7 was mainstream, I previously used Driver Sweeper when I was using a ATI/AMD graphics card on my main computer and one of these versions deleted some essentials files which prevented me to install the Service Pack 1 for Windows 7.

Had to reinstall the OS to address that one.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 6 of 7, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Azarien wrote on 2021-08-14, 23:11:

256 color mode was broken in Windows 7. I was never able to make it work without glitches.

For me the 256 color mode in Windows 7 worked when killing the Explorer process and/or using the registry trick on a program that uses it in fullscreen mode. I tested that on the original Age of Empires and Hellbender in software rendering mode.

Reply 7 of 7, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I haven't run 256 color mode in a while on Windows 7 but the last time I did disabling Aero did the trick. It was a lapop with AMD HD6310 GPU.