VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I own several games like Liza Marklund: Dollar which is a Swedish game and was only released in Scandinavia by Panvision. I'm currently working on making backups of the discs so I can store away the physical copy I own to my storage unit.

All these games were released in 2005 to 2009 period and do run on Windows 10 64bit when I have the CD in the drive. They are all protected with SafeDisc v4. I do not understand how this is possible? Isn't SafeDisc support withdrawn from Windows 10 and these games should not run at all?

Anyway, I use Alchol 120% to create the images using the SafeDisc 2/3/4 profile. The images work on my Windows XP machine when I cloak (using ACID Wizard) the virtual drives, but cloaking isn't possible on Windows 10 AFAIK. Using the images the games just never starts.

There are none no-CD patches for these games, so I'm kinda lost what to do. Would love to be able to play these on my Dell XPS laptop (which do not have a CD drive).

Last edited by vetz on 2021-08-24, 06:46. Edited 1 time in total.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 12, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2021-08-23, 10:20:

Have you looked upon this? https://github.com/ericwj/PsSecDrv

No, I haven't, thanks for the link, but I don't think it will help in this case. As I mentioned in the post, the games DO run when I have the original disc in the drive (which I don't understand how is possible).

My theory is that SafeDisc v4 is not using SECDRV.SYS

Reply 3 of 12, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote on 2021-08-23, 10:37:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2021-08-23, 10:20:

Have you looked upon this? https://github.com/ericwj/PsSecDrv

No, I haven't, thanks for the link, but I don't think it will help in this case. As I mentioned in the post, the games DO run when I have the original disc in the drive (which I don't understand how is possible).

My theory is that SafeDisc v4 is not using SECDRV.SYS

AFAIR Assassin's Creed I used SafeDisc (should be V4 as it's from 2008) but it displays the "Please login with administrative privileges and try again" error. This also occurs in older version of SafeDisc games. The latest SECDRV.SYS I could track is from 2006.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 4 of 12, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not getting that error. I get "Please insert the correct CD/DVD" or no error message at all (game just never starts).

SECDRV.SYS is not included on the discs. So I think they are only using SafeDisc as a disc checker (which PCGamingWiki mentions is a possibility). I'm not 100% sure it's SafeDisc v4, but the Data-Analyzer and Protection ID says so (SafeDisc v4 or higher). It has the 00000001.TMP file on the discs though, so SafeDisc is definitively there in some way.

Anyway, I got it working now in Windows 10 by using the image with WinCDEmu, that software does not seem to be blacklisted (which is the case with Alchohol 120% and Daemon Tools).

Reply 5 of 12, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote on 2021-08-23, 11:50:

Anyway, I got it working now in Windows 10 by using the image with WinCDEmu, that software does not seem to be blacklisted (which is the case with Alchohol 120% and Daemon Tools).

Blacklisted by who? Is it something newer versions of SafeDisc do? Or some implementations? I recall running quite a few SafeDisc games off Alcohol-generated images, using Alcohol / Daemon Tools to mount them, without complaints.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 6 of 12, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote on 2021-08-23, 13:54:

Blacklisted by who? Is it something newer versions of SafeDisc do? Or some implementations? I recall running quite a few SafeDisc games off Alcohol-generated images, using Alcohol / Daemon Tools to mount them, without complaints.

By SafeDisc from version 3. Quote from Wikipedia:

SafeDisc currently blacklists such software, meaning that those who want to use this method must install additional software to cloak the mounter; examples include CureRom and Y.A.S.U.

If you played those games on Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8 cloaking works and I think later versions of Daemon Tools did so automatically. Alchohol also bundled a cloaker with the software (ACID Wizard).

Reply 7 of 12, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote on 2021-08-23, 14:33:

If you played those games on Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8 cloaking works and I think later versions of Daemon Tools did so automatically. Alchohol also bundled a cloaker with the software (ACID Wizard).

It's likely that this is the case, because I never had to install third party software; whatever DT or Alcohol have built-in must have worked.

On Win10, I couldn't even get the original CDs to run, because of SafeDisc. I chalked that up to the known incompatibility and moved on.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 8 of 12, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote on 2021-08-23, 17:55:

On Win10, I couldn't even get the original CDs to run, because of SafeDisc. I chalked that up to the known incompatibility and moved on.

Either that, or the games you played were Safedisc v2

Reply 9 of 12, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not getting that error. I get "Please insert the correct CD/DVD" or no error message at all (game just never starts).

SECDRV.SYS is not included on the discs. So I think they are only using SafeDisc as a disc checker (which PCGamingWiki mentions is a possibility). I'm not 100% sure it's SafeDisc v4, but the Data-Analyzer and Protection ID says so (SafeDisc v4 or higher). It has the 00000001.TMP file on the discs though, so SafeDisc is definitively there in some way.

The 'no-error message' should suggest that SECDRV.SYS isn't running, only if the game doesn't start. Meanwhile, few months ago some YT users commented they are getting the 'Please insert the ...' issue, which I didn't even encounter while having the game CD run through (Alcohol 120% perhaps). Yes I was not using any no-CD patch because the game required CD or else I got the error.

vetz wrote on 2021-08-24, 06:46:
dr_st wrote on 2021-08-23, 17:55:

Does SafeDisc v2 work in Windows 10, I don't remember if it did because I don't have any game currently that uses it.

ACID Wizard was last updated in 2012, so I am not sure if it's working. I am bot sure about VM's, because files mounted through Alcohol 120% and run in PCem(Win98) DOES detect the CD as genuine. I don't know if it's available in the other mounting tools.

Reply 10 of 12, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote on 2021-08-24, 06:46:

At least some of them are listed in PCGW as SafeDisc v4 (e.g., PoP Warrior Within). However, it's been a while and I am not 100% sure now; Your findings are interesting, so I will check again.

Edit: Tested again manually installing PoP Warrior Within from the DVD (SafeDisc v4). Made sure Alcohol and Daemon Tools are not running, killed the disc emulation processes and uninstalled the virtual drives. Still won't run - "The game process was manually killed".

Reply 11 of 12, by Dancsi40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The very first Safedisc protection works in Windows 10 (most old Microsoft Games, like Midtown Madness 1/2, Dungeon Siege, Pandora's Box, etc.), I have those games and they run fine. They don't have the secdrv.sys file but an icd file (encrypted format used by SafeDisc that you can decrypt with UnSafeDisc).

Last edited by Dancsi40 on 2021-08-25, 11:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 12, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dancsi40 wrote on 2021-08-25, 00:53:

The very first Safedisc protection works in Windows 10 (most old Microsoft Games, like Midtown Madness 1/2, Dungeon Siege, Pandora's Box, etc.), I have those games and they run fine. They don't have the secdrv.sys file but an icd file (encrypted format used by SafeDisc that you can decrypt with UnSafeDisc

I bypass it in all games except Midtown Madness games. Weird!