VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Blitz_25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings,

I have an issue with TR1 sound and FPS runing under 3dfx (voodoo2 with DX7 drivers)and sound provided by onboard ESS solo-1 (win9x and dos drivers instaled) all that on win98se.
For some reason i cant get all 3 sound sources (FMV, ambient, action) to play at once.
If i run game with out "sound card selected" in setup then there's no FMV and action sound (footsteps, gunshots, doors open..) however ambient sound (menu music, "music" playing when entering certain areas on map) is working and ingame FPS are at steady 28-30. Now lack of FMV and action sounds is understandable however strange is that ambient is still beeing played.

If is configour sound card in setup to "ESS audio driver" port: 220, DMA:1 and IRQ: 5 then i get FMV and action sounds but no ambient sound and moreover when ever ambient sound is triggred (even thou not heard) the FPS drops severelly to around 3-5FPS and some times even freezes for several minutes. Ctrl+alt+del gets me out of "frozen" game no prob however if i want to start new game i get thrown out of DOS window and i must reboot to be eable to run the game.

Setting port 220 DMA 1 IRQ 5 is the only setting that gets me FMV and action sound running enything else doas not work.
If i select "auto detect" ESS solo gets detected as soundblaster 16/AWE32 with setting port 220 DMA nothing and IRQ 10 and as said this doas not work.

If i run game in software render with out 3dfx then sound problems described remain the same however there is no FPS drop when ambient sounds are triggered and game is perfectly playable. I've tried both voodoo and rush patched tomb.exe and FPS problems are the same.

Any of you experianced similar problems or may be have an idea what could be the cause of problems described would be aprichiated.

Reply 1 of 8, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Blitz_25 wrote on 2021-11-25, 11:40:

If i select "auto detect" ESS solo gets detected as soundblaster 16/AWE32 with setting port 220 DMA nothing and IRQ 10 and as said this doas not work.

Try using the "Sound Blaster Pro" option with the following parameters: port 220, IRQ 5, DMA 1.

For reference, ESS cards are not SB16 compatible. They can either run in SBPro mode or in their native ESS AudioDrive mode.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 8, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Simple solution: Change the SB settings for Dos in Win9x

1. Tell me you chipset and CPU
2. Use ESS 1149 Driver and change the DOS-Emulation to a DIFFERENT! port/irq!

e.g.: 240 i7

If you have a later Intel-Chipset it could be problematic, but you should try this.
Win9x emulates SB at 220/i5 and you have to use a different setting.
Try Duke3D and ShadowWarrior and some other titles and you will experience the same problem.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 5 of 8, by Blitz_25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tryed to change port/DMA/IRQ in sound dos emulation control panel however i can only change port setting (from 220 to 240), IRQ and DMA are fixed and can't be changed. As mentioned i switched from 220 port to 240 port however problem persists. I've also looked in bios setings if i could change the settings for onboard sound there but since this is an IBM Aptiva motherboard bios seting are very limited so no luck there as well.

Reply 7 of 8, by Blitz_25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I managed to force IRQ reasigment from 5 to 7 for onboard sound by enabeling serial and paralel ports however still no luck with ambient sound and FPS drop in 3dfx mode remains.
Doom 2 works as intendet at either 220/1/5 or 240/1/7. As for duke3d or shadow warrior i dont have them.

Reply 8 of 8, by Blitz_25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

More info, i disabeled onboard ESS and put in SB128PCI (was auto set to 220/1/7). I tried SB128 in all 3 PCI slots but problem persits.
I also moved Voodoo2 aoround the PCI slots and even removed it all together to no avail.
Then it got me thinkig that it can't be hardware problem but rather software.
So i reinstalled daemon tools 3.47 since im runing the game via ISO but no luck so i removed it alltogether and installed Virtual Clone Drive and go figure while there are still no ambient sounds in game there is no more FPS drop in 3dfx mode so the game is totaly playable now in 3dfx (though lacking bit of atmosphere).

So i guess there is some conflict going on in Daemon toos tryng to play hiden tracks from ISO. VirtualClone from what i see doasen't even try to read hiden tracks (if i disable sound card in setup there is no ambient sound playing unlike with daemon that playes ambient of no sound card selected) that's why game runs stabile and there's no FPS drop.