VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This game has several problems, most of which are easily solvable. However, I haven't been able to solve the issue with the mouse. The mouse doesn't move if you don't move the hardware very slowly. I mean if I move my mouse the speed at which I usually do, the cursor movement does not occur, and I have to move it as slow as a snail to get a response. I veriefied the actual movement on Windows 98 SE with the same mouse and same DPI and the issue doesn't persist, I can move the mouse faster and the movement is registered. Can anyone give me workarounds?

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 11, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Reduce your mouse polling rate. Most gaming mice should have applications that allow you to set application profiles. Personally I just leave it at 125hz all the time because I know way too many games with this problem (plus it saves a lot of battery).

Reply 2 of 11, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2022-01-19, 07:53:

Reduce your mouse polling rate. Most gaming mice should have applications that allow you to set application profiles. Personally I just leave it at 125hz all the time because I know way too many games with this problem (plus it saves a lot of battery).

I reduced to 125hz, the lowest available. Didn't help.

Reply 4 of 11, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2022-01-19, 16:27:

It definitely should. Try another mouse.

I even saved it to on-board RAM with 125hz rate and didn't help. I then launched Windows 98, and that mouse works completely fine there, which had the 125hz rate. It even worked fine with the earlier 1000hz rate on Win98, as from previous tests. If you want to test out the game, you can get it easily from those preservation sites (you know those sites having ISOs, my original copy and the ones online exhibit the same behaviour).

Attachments

Reply 5 of 11, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I did download it and test it, and it definitely has the mouse polling issue I mentioned. I mean it is possible you have another unrelated issue with the exact same symptoms, but I sort of doubt it.

Check that Logitech actually properly sets the mouse polling rate to 125hz (for example https://tecagile.com/mouse-polling-rate-checker/ ), and that you don't have any other profiles than Desktop that could be triggered in the Logitech software.

Reply 6 of 11, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2022-01-20, 07:54:

I did download it and test it, and it definitely has the mouse polling issue I mentioned. I mean it is possible you have another unrelated issue with the exact same symptoms, but I sort of doubt it.

Check that Logitech actually properly sets the mouse polling rate to 125hz (for example https://tecagile.com/mouse-polling-rate-checker/ ), and that you don't have any other profiles than Desktop that could be triggered in the Logitech software.

Thank you very much. The problem has been fixed. The mistake I was doing is I just enabled the on-board memory, I didn't know I have to replace the settings along with it. The game is working fine. Another small problem is that the mouse randomly moves in opposite direction. Like if I move my mouse to left, it briefly goes right before going left again.

Reply 8 of 11, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2022-01-20, 10:55:

I noticed that too. I suspect it isn't coded to even handle 125hz mice, Windows 9x is apparently limited to 40hz. I don't know any software workaround for mouse polling rate issues.

What if I plug in a PS/2 mouse to my Windows 11 PC, I have a PS/2 port for a seemingly new chipset? Do PS/2s use 40hz and should it work at that polling rate on Windows NTs?

Reply 9 of 11, by Bubu2000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-01-21, 04:59:
ZellSF wrote on 2022-01-20, 10:55:

I noticed that too. I suspect it isn't coded to even handle 125hz mice, Windows 9x is apparently limited to 40hz. I don't know any software workaround for mouse polling rate issues.

What if I plug in a PS/2 mouse to my Windows 11 PC, I have a PS/2 port for a seemingly new chipset? Do PS/2s use 40hz and should it work at that polling rate on Windows NTs?

On my old P1 MMX PC, the PS/2 port has a polling rate of 100 Hz, but you I turn it up to 200 Hz

Reply 10 of 11, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Decided to do some testing since I wanted to know if there's any mouse agnostic ways of setting polling rate and I ran into this:
https://github.com/LordOfMice/hidusbf
It installs a driver/service with no clear uninstall instructions... So yeah, not recommended.

But it did allow me to test a 31hz polling rate. It appears the reverse cursor problem, unlike the slow cursor problem, is unrelated to polling rate*.

That said, on my setup the problem is mostly unnoticeable unless I really try to make it happen (just drag the mouse a meter, rather than try to navigate the menu), if it happens all the time while just navigating the menu on your setup there might be something else that factors in. I don't know what it could be though.

* which I'm pretty happy about, it would really suck if there were games that didn't even work at 125hz.

Reply 11 of 11, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2022-01-21, 11:00:
Decided to do some testing since I wanted to know if there's any mouse agnostic ways of setting polling rate and I ran into this […]
Show full quote

Decided to do some testing since I wanted to know if there's any mouse agnostic ways of setting polling rate and I ran into this:
https://github.com/LordOfMice/hidusbf
It installs a driver/service with no clear uninstall instructions... So yeah, not recommended.

But it did allow me to test a 31hz polling rate. It appears the reverse cursor problem, unlike the slow cursor problem, is unrelated to polling rate*.

That said, on my setup the problem is mostly unnoticeable unless I really try to make it happen (just drag the mouse a meter, rather than try to navigate the menu), if it happens all the time while just navigating the menu on your setup there might be something else that factors in. I don't know what it could be though.

* which I'm pretty happy about, it would really suck if there were games that didn't even work at 125hz.

Thanks, that reduces my headache. The developer of DxWnd noted that the game has a unique mouse control, so it could be tied to that. Good to know it's not the hardware.