Road Rash '96 - MIDI Error

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kappa971 wrote on 2022-04-21, 13:35:

...It isn't a definitive solution but now the game is working correctly.

The "game is working correctly" means that the Midi music successfully stops when it needs to stop (ie. in menu whatever)?

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 22 of 31, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kappa971 wrote on 2022-04-21, 14:40:
Falcosoft wrote on 2022-04-21, 14:37:

The "game is working correctly" means that the Midi music successfully stops when it needs to stop (ie. in menu whatever)?

YES!

It's good news then 😀
Meanwhile I also responded on Coolsoft's forum. For the sake of completeness here it is:

Hi Claudio, […]
Show full quote

Hi Claudio,

1. Of course not a "missing function" is/was the problem, since the midiOutSetVolume function itself can be found in winmm.dll, not in the driver(s). The problem is/was the proper support of this function.
Namely when an application calls midiOutGetDevCaps and a driver sends back in MIDIOUTCAPS->dwSupport field MIDICAPS_VOLUME(1) just like Coolsoft Midi Mapper and Coolsoft VMS does currently it is expected to respond to MODM_SETVOLUME driver messages (that midiOutSetVolume calls generate) and send back MMSYSERR_NOERROR just as you said and implemented.
2. Implementing support for midiOutSetVolume/MODM_SETVOLUME in your Midi mapper instead of VMS would have the benefit that all kind of synths, even the ones that do not support volume changes currently would work properly through your Midi mapper.
Reducing Note On's velocity proportionally would be a universal solution since Note On velocity is supported by all kinds of Midi devices.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 23 of 31, by Kappa971

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2022-04-21, 14:57:

Meanwhile I also responded on Coolsoft's forum. For the sake of completeness here it is:

Hi Claudio, […]
Show full quote

Hi Claudio,

1. Of course not a "missing function" is/was the problem, since the midiOutSetVolume function itself can be found in winmm.dll, not in the driver(s). The problem is/was the proper support of this function.
Namely when an application calls midiOutGetDevCaps and a driver sends back in MIDIOUTCAPS->dwSupport field MIDICAPS_VOLUME(1) just like Coolsoft Midi Mapper and Coolsoft VMS does currently it is expected to respond to MODM_SETVOLUME driver messages (that midiOutSetVolume calls generate) and send back MMSYSERR_NOERROR just as you said and implemented.
2. Implementing support for midiOutSetVolume/MODM_SETVOLUME in your Midi mapper instead of VMS would have the benefit that all kind of synths, even the ones that do not support volume changes currently would work properly through your Midi mapper.
Reducing Note On's velocity proportionally would be a universal solution since Note On velocity is supported by all kinds of Midi devices.

Fantastico @Falcosoft, thanks!

Reply 28 of 31, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kappa971 wrote on 2022-04-21, 22:30:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-21, 21:21:

Thanks I will try it tomorrow

CoolSoft MIDI Mapper 2.1.0 has been officially released so don't use the beta version I uploaded

Hmm this one works quite well. Thanks. But the weird part is MIDI calls now go through a separate wave channel to DxWnd. Maybe I need to investigate.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 29 of 31, by Kappa971

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-22, 05:41:

Hmm this one works quite well. Thanks. But the weird part is MIDI calls now go through a separate wave channel to DxWnd. Maybe I need to investigate.

I generally don't use DxWnd. If you are using it with Road Rash, you can also remove it as Road Rash is one of those rare old Windows games that work without modification. Or without DxWnd there are problems I don't know?

Reply 30 of 31, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kappa971 wrote on 2022-04-22, 06:00:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-22, 05:41:

I generally don't use DxWnd. If you are using it with Road Rash, you can also remove it as Road Rash is one of those rare old Windows games that work without modification. Or without DxWnd there are problems I don't know?

There isn't problems running without DxWnd. As coolsoft said, there isn't any volume slider. DxWnd allows you to customize the volume but the case is somehow different here.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 31 of 31, by Kappa971

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-22, 06:03:

There isn't problems running without DxWnd. As coolsoft said, there isn't any volume slider. DxWnd allows you to customize the volume but the case is somehow different here.

The game has its own mixer (Italian version):

Attachments