VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by CDrayan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have managed to figure out how to get Oregon Trail II to run on modern Windows, QuickTime videos and all! This used OTII version 1.3 (the newest version of the game), which uses QuickTime. Earlier versions used Video for Windows.

The attached archive contains the necessary configuration and QuickTime 2 files.

1. Make a directory titled OTII on your hard drive, for example C:\MECC\OTII. This will be your game directory.
2. From your Oregon Trail II CD, copy the DATA folder into the game directory.
3. Within the DATA folder, copy the files OTII.EXE, OREGONII.ENG, and OGREGONII.FST into the game's root directory.
4. Then copy the files from this archive into the game's directory. They are the game's configuration file and the QuickTime 2 files needed to play the movies in-game. Note that in OregonII.ini, rsrcpath MUST be an absolute path, i.e. C:\MECC\OTII\DATA\. If it's a relative path, you'll run into problems if loading a save from outside the game directory, like the game hanging when trying to enter a town.
5. Finally, run ot2vidfix.bat. This will allow the river-crossing videos to play.

Have fun, and be safe on the trail!

Attachments

• Filename
    otII_update.zip
    File size
    734.42 KiB
    Downloads
    533 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by CDrayan on 2022-05-01, 16:39. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3 of 6, by CDrayan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-26, 14:58:

This isn't just a Windows 11 fix, this should work across all OS, Windows XP (probably 2000 too?)-11.

True, the issue started with Windows XP. I just used Windows 11 because it was the newest version of Windows, and the first to be 64-bit only. So I felt that was the right benchmark for classic MECC games. I'll be looking into more of them, as well as the Blaster series.

By the way, I played through the game to completion. I found no issues.

Reply 4 of 6, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CDrayan wrote on 2022-04-27, 02:41:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-26, 14:58:

This isn't just a Windows 11 fix, this should work across all OS, Windows XP (probably 2000 too?)-11.

True, the issue started with Windows XP. I just used Windows 11 because it was the newest version of Windows, and the first to be 64-bit only. So I felt that was the right benchmark for classic MECC games. I'll be looking into more of them, as well as the Blaster series.

By the way, I played through the game to completion. I found no issues.

Regarding the installation you could just use OTVDM on Windows 7 SP1+

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 5 of 6, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Your guide could become more useful to people because the same technique can be used on anything Windows XP+, instead of just Windows 11. The patch works on Windows XP as well. Probably you could reupload the fix as for Windows XP+ instead. Also you could mention that this installation procedure may be used if the game cannot be installed or OTVDM can't be used.

Attachments

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 6 of 6, by ssybesma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CDrayan wrote on 2022-04-21, 14:47:
I have managed to figure out how to get Oregon Trail II to run on modern Windows, QuickTime videos and all! This used OTII versi […]
Show full quote

I have managed to figure out how to get Oregon Trail II to run on modern Windows, QuickTime videos and all! This used OTII version 1.3 (the newest version of the game), which uses QuickTime. Earlier versions used Video for Windows.

The attached archive contains the necessary configuration and QuickTime 2 files.

1. Make a directory titled OTII on your hard drive, for example C:\MECC\OTII. This will be your game directory.
2. From your Oregon Trail II CD, copy the DATA folder into the game directory.
3. Within the DATA folder, copy the files OTII.EXE, OREGONII.ENG, and OGREGONII.FST into the game's root directory.
4. Then copy the files from this archive into the game's directory. They are the game's configuration file and the QuickTime 2 files needed to play the movies in-game. Note that in OregonII.ini, rsrcpath MUST be an absolute path, i.e. C:\MECC\OTII\DATA\. If it's a relative path, you'll run into problems if loading a save from outside the game directory, like the game hanging when trying to enter a town.
5. Finally, run ot2vidfix.bat. This will allow the river-crossing videos to play.

Have fun, and be safe on the trail!

CDrayan,
Your ZIP file helped fix an issue with the 25th Anniversary "The Oregon Trail II" version 1.3 where there was no opening screen (the entire window was black until I did a Ctrl+Alt+Del and then I heard audio and canceled out of it).
I'm using a Windows XP virtual machine. The game installed itself to C:\Program Files\MECC\Oregon Trail II. I had to then copy the DATA folder from the CD to the root of the game folder on the XP VM and edit the INI file to point to it.
Except for the black screen I mentioned and how I got out of it, the game played fine after that.
Then I saw your post and I copied the contents of your ZIP file and ran the BAT, but had to edit the INI file once again because it had your suggested path instead of the one I was using for the DATA folder.
AFTER I DID THAT, the opening video showed up instead of the black screen and I no longer have to hit Ctrl+Alt+Del anymore to get to the main game window.
THANKS for fixing a really bothersome issue!!!
Steve