VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 25, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Seems like this has been in the works for even longer, this is from July 2019:

Since the Windows 10 1709 build back in 2017, both the desktop and server versions of Windows dropped support for SMB1, and as far back as 2016 Microsoft was urging admins to drop the protocol version altogether.

https://www.theregister.com/2019/07/09/samba_sans_one_smb1/

I only use Samba and SMB3 for my modern machines. My retro machines are all FTP/HTTP/USB/floppy, sometimes CD and serial. I've never let my retro machines talk to the Samba server, so I'm not feeling too affected by this. :) Though it would be cool to have a big retro NAS like Phil/PCL has...

Reply 21 of 25, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SMB1 is very easy to enable on windows 10,

when I want to send something quickly I tend to use hfs which creates a quick http server and you just drag files, or usb drives or something; but at least on win10 is every easy to get smb1 going again;
in the future maybe also people can run a windows 7 VM or something? but just running an FTP server is probably the way to go...

Reply 22 of 25, by SolidSonicTH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't like using insecure protocols but ASUS's stupid Samba functionality on their routers requires SMB1 to be enabled. As I don't want to invest in dedicated NAS hardware that needs a separate box with its own uptime and power consumption needs I'm forced to abide by enabling SMB1 client support in order to access my router-attached storage.

Reply 23 of 25, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2022-04-23, 06:02:

long post

Thank you for the good write-up. I enjoyed it. Some things definitely rang true, but I still have hope. 😀

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 24 of 25, by MrDeeWilliams

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SolidSonicTH wrote on 2022-04-23, 23:10:

I don't like using insecure protocols but ASUS's stupid Samba functionality on their routers requires SMB1 to be enabled. As I don't want to invest in dedicated NAS hardware that needs a separate box with its own uptime and power consumption needs I'm forced to abide by enabling SMB1 client support in order to access my router-attached storage.

If you're open to using it or if you're able to, Merlin's firmware supports SMB3.

Reply 25 of 25, by SolidSonicTH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MrDeeWilliams wrote on 2022-04-24, 10:27:
SolidSonicTH wrote on 2022-04-23, 23:10:

If you're open to using it or if you're able to, Merlin's firmware supports SMB3.

I'd have to see which routers in my environment are compatible with it since they exist as an AiMesh.