VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay so Kiss is a weird game for me. Sometimes I can make it work fine others not. I can't even figure out why because I install it the same way every time. Basically all of the menus and videos are severely distorted. You can see the pics for examples. I have tried compatibility settings, I have tried some directdraw DLL, I have used Dgvoodoo. I just can't figure out how to consistently keep this from happening. On my current Win11 install I installed the game applied the patches and usual fixes then ran the game. it ran fine. Then I rebooted and got this problem again.

Client.exe Screenshot 2022.05.27 - 11.31.29.51.png
Filename
Client.exe Screenshot 2022.05.27 - 11.31.29.51.png
File size
124.6 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Client.exe Screenshot 2022.05.27 - 11.31.20.28.png
Filename
Client.exe Screenshot 2022.05.27 - 11.31.20.28.png
File size
124.86 KiB
Views
File license
Client.exe Screenshot 2022.05.27 - 11.30.56.48.png
Filename
Client.exe Screenshot 2022.05.27 - 11.30.56.48.png
File size
124.72 KiB
Views
File license

"Never pay more than 20 dollars for a computer game" - Guybrush Threepwood

Reply 1 of 5, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The game seems to be applying a 16-bit colour mode. Can you try renaming the executable and making sure no compatibility modes are set?

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 2 of 5, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-05-27, 17:23:

The game seems to be applying a 16-bit colour mode. Can you try renaming the executable and making sure no compatibility modes are set?

Not sure renaming will work. See the game uses Lithtech which requires you to use a launcher to launch the game, but the launcher is a separate exe. You can’t launch the game directly from its exe. Not sure where to look to disable game specific compatibility but I’ll look further into that.

Reply 3 of 5, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Presbytier wrote on 2022-05-27, 18:43:

Not sure renaming will work. See the game uses Lithtech which requires you to use a launcher to launch the game, but the launcher is a separate exe. You can’t launch the game directly from its exe. Not sure where to look to disable game specific compatibility but I’ll look further into that.

The specific pattern of this issue for me was when the main executable/launch had a proxy DirectDraw/3D file along with a compatibility mode that affected colors (WIN95/98/ME modes or 16-bit/256 color). What happened was both would apply a colour tweak and it would result in what shows on your screenshot. In some cases this happend without the settings as well, but it is very rare. In other terms you may out DirectDrawCompat or WineD3D to see if something changes

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 4 of 5, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-05-27, 18:48:
Presbytier wrote on 2022-05-27, 18:43:

The specific pattern of this issue for me was when the main executable/launch had a proxy DirectDraw/3D file along with a compatibility mode that affected colors (WIN95/98/ME modes or 16-bit/256 color). What happened was both would apply a colour tweak and it would result in what shows on your screenshot. In some cases this happend without the settings as well, but it is very rare. In other terms you may out DirectDrawCompat or WineD3D to see if something changes

I have used this which is what pcgamingwiki recomends to fix the issue but it doesn't for me https://www.moddb.com/mods/kiss-psycho-circus … indows-10-patch

Reply 5 of 5, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm an idiot. of course, it's the compatibility issues. I should have known this as I asked this literally two months ago. Kiss Psycho Circus Rainbow patterns in videos and menus