VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It seems my DOS copy of DOOM wont install on windows 98 in dos mode, but has no problem installing to something solely on DOS 6.22. I assume this is an issue with DOS versions and compatibility, unless theres something else im missing. The error i get is "Sector not found reading drive A. Abort, Retry, Fail?" or if I manage to get to the installer, and begins copying files, it says "Big problems reading this disk!" Thanks for the help.

Reply 1 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've found a Windows port of DOOM just recently.
Re: Emulation on MS Windows 3.1x ?

Maybe it works with your Windows 98SE system, still, if you install WinG SDK.
- Windows 98FE might have been a better choice for this maybe, since it had native WinG support, still.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the OP isn't looking for ports, the OP is trying to INSTALL off diskettes but can't in Win98. Ports won't do much good if you can't get the iwad off the disks first (and the dos exe included's better than windoom/doom95 to begin with, anyway)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, I see. The way I read it, the OP had issues under DOS (Windows 9x DOS) only. I didn't know the problems also affected floppy access on Windows (Edit: Windows Explorer, I mean).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 13, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jura Tastatura wrote on 2022-07-24, 07:36:

I've downloaded Doom95 for Win9x. You can run Doom in 640x480 with it.

But it sounds horrible! Its so far from the original, ive always thought WOW Microsoft well done....

Reply 7 of 13, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Alistar1776 wrote on 2022-07-24, 04:26:

It seems my DOS copy of DOOM wont install on windows 98 in dos mode, but has no problem installing to something solely on DOS 6.22. I assume this is an issue with DOS versions and compatibility, unless theres something else im missing. The error i get is "Sector not found reading drive A. Abort, Retry, Fail?" or if I manage to get to the installer, and begins copying files, it says "Big problems reading this disk!" Thanks for the help.

Get nusbe driver for USB Support, download the game and extract the files. You can then install the game. Iam doing it this way. Buying games, downloading images from Archive.org so i own the original and using the image. Just by using most of the time my USB Flash.

Reply 8 of 13, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Peter.Mengel wrote on 2022-07-24, 10:05:

Get nusbe driver for USB Support, download the game and extract the files. You can then install the game. Iam doing it this way. Buying games, downloading images from Archive.org so i own the original and using the image. Just by using most of the time my USB Flash.

interesting. ive used the same method to install drivers, so ill give it a shot

Reply 9 of 13, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2022-07-24, 07:58:

Oh, I see. The way I read it, the OP had issues under DOS (Windows 9x DOS) only. I didn't know the problems also affected floppy access on Windows (Edit: Windows Explorer, I mean).

i am having the issue in Win98 DOS only, floppy access in windows is just as it should be. I actually have my usb drivers on a floppy so i can get my flash drive working with the system.

Reply 10 of 13, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Alistar1776 wrote on 2022-07-24, 19:36:
Jo22 wrote on 2022-07-24, 07:58:

i am having the issue in Win98 DOS only, floppy access in windows is just as it should be. I actually have my usb drivers on a floppy so i can get my flash drive working with the system.

Maybe gotek is a option? Its a Floppy Emulator and works perfect with Dos. Ive got mine for 33€ here in Germany.

Reply 11 of 13, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Peter.Mengel wrote on 2022-07-24, 19:43:

Maybe gotek is a option? Its a Floppy Emulator and works perfect with Dos. Ive got mine for 33€ here in Germany.

ill look into it. primary focus at the moment is getting sound to work, thats in another thread. Same system

Reply 13 of 13, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

update on this deal... After rewriting the disks by formatting them in dos mode on win98se system, then writing the images again with my usb floppy on my main PC, they installed fine and was able to run Doom in Win98's MS-DOS prompt window. No other work arounds, it just seems to work.