VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by drakaria

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently got this laptop and it's been great so far, it's in fairly good condition for its age and everything works fine, except it's running Windows 95 in German and I cannot change it to English unless I reinstall the English version. However, I can't seem to find the drivers for this laptop model anymore and it's so obscure that I wasn't even able to find the laptop's manual anywhere on the web. Does anyone know how I can efficiently find the right drivers for this laptop?

Also, as I said, I cannot find much documentation about this model and unfortunately only now did I realize it doesn't have an ethernet port. It's got a COM port and a LPT port, as well as PCMCIA. I found some topics on this forum where people were saying that you can get the internet to work by using the PCMCIA but I can't really understand how that works. Can anyone explain this to me?

It's such a nice and well-maintained laptop, it would be a shame to not put it to use.

Thank you.

Reply 1 of 2, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Get the list of hardware from msinfo32 ( if it's included in Win95) or from System Properties.
Only things you really need to know are the graphic, sound and pcmcia/cardbus chipsets.
For pcmcia, there are wifi pcmcia cards supported in Win95 (or even Dos/Win3.x) but they won't support any encryption other than WEP so you'll need a wifi hotspot to serve it with low or no security.
For Ethernet, the choice of cards is large, finding drivers for them won't be an issue.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 2 of 2, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've got an idea, too.

Since this is Windows 95, there's a chance that some drivers still use SYSTEM.INI instead of Windows registry.

So maybe checking the [386] section for VXDs (*.386) files will tell which drivers are being used.

It's just an idea, of course.
Back in the 386/486 days, Windows 95 drivers were still heavily based on Windows 3.1 drivers.

Anyway, good luck! 🙂

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//