VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by assortedkingdede

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have recently rebuild my Windows 98 Pc with entirely different parts on a fresh windows 98 SE install I have been getting several issues related to drivers and hardware that I am unsure how to fix.

Issue 1:
Intel(R) 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage controller is having a device conflict. This has not caused issues with normal operations and I am not sure it is important but if I should fix it. How can I, it doesn't let me change the configuration.

Issue 2:
SoundBlaster Live! CT4830 works but Creative Multimedia interface shows a yellow exclamation mark and Windows doesn't even know the Game Port exist which won't allow me to hook up my Sidewinder Joystick.

I am using a ASUS CUSL2-C motherboard with a Pentium III. Any info on these issues would help. Thanks!

Reply 1 of 4, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you haven't already, I would disable all devices that you are not using in the CMOS settings to free resources. Have you installed chipset drivers? You can still get them from the Asus page for this board: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils … p?model=cusl2-c

You might also try changing the slot that you have the sound card in.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2 of 4, by assortedkingdede

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2023-01-15, 04:18:

If you haven't already, I would disable all devices that you are not using in the CMOS settings to free resources. Have you installed chipset drivers? You can still get them from the Asus page for this board: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils … p?model=cusl2-c

You might also try changing the slot that you have the sound card in.

I reinstalled windows and installed chipset drivers, did not fix the issue. I did fix the sound card where there are no yellow checkmarks and I see the game port but the sound is locked on mute with the volume adjust greyed out. I solved it by adding Audigy 2 drivers and switching the slot.
Edit: One program says "can't initalize audio driver"

Reply 3 of 4, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As an experiment, I would try removing the sound card and use the onboard audio and game port. If everything works that way, you have a baseline to work from.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 4 of 4, by assortedkingdede

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2023-01-15, 15:41:

As an experiment, I would try removing the sound card and use the onboard audio and game port. If everything works that way, you have a baseline to work from.

Sound card problem solved. I still have the storage controller issue. Upon further investigation, it seems to have resources conflicts specifically with the Standard IDE Hard Disk controller.