VOGONS

Common searches

Windows XP: is there a True Ms-dos patch?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by cambalinho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

is there a True Ms-DOS patch for Windows XP?
is for correct the MS-DOS games sound problems

Reply 4 of 12, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cambalinho wrote on 2023-01-28, 23:09:

vdmsound show me the same delay when we shoot on DOOM

I'm not sure about the delay you mentioned, but I remember games run kind of sluggish when played with VDMSound (in-game scrolling effects were noticeable examples). Maybe the emulation overhead was a bit too much.

Note that XP is WinNT based so there was no real DOS in it. You'll want DOSBox. With a good enough CPU you may be able to achieve a near-realistic performance at around 15000-20000 CPU cycles settings.

Reply 5 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Alternatively, MS Virtual PC 2004/2007 are an option for XP PCs.

They can easily run a copy of a true blue MS-DOS 6.2x in a window (or in full screen).

The emulated S3 card with VESA support is good enough for many later DOS games.
Sound Blaster 16 and OPL2 level FM are available, too.

Together with the MS DOS Guest Additions, a shared folder can easily be used for file transfer.

Network support is also available, there's an emulated DEC.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 12, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cambalinho wrote on 2023-02-07, 17:41:

I mean the sound effects make the game slow. If i choose Speaker, instead Sound Blaster, these delay don't happens. Do i need edit config.nt or autoexec.nt for get more memory or something?

no

Reply 8 of 12, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cambalinho wrote on 2023-02-07, 17:41:

I mean the sound effects make the game slow. If i choose Speaker, instead Sound Blaster, these delay don't happens. Do i need edit config.nt or autoexec.nt for get more memory or something?

What is your CPU? I've been using vdmsound on a Pentium 4 with quite good results, although some tweaking of vdmsound settings was needed to find a sweet spot between sound being "laggy" and "choppy".

For DOOM I'd recommend Chocolate DOOM on modern systems (not sure if it runs on XP though) which gives you near-vanilla experience without the pains of emulation.

Reply 9 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are many Doom ports that work on XP (even recent ones), for Chocolate Doom you can use the last official release or the latest nightly. Last I checked chocolate-doom-20221015-win32 worked.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 12 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Use DOS, DOSBox, pcem or a VM with DOS
Windows XP is not for DOS games, back in the day those of us too lazy to setup a dual-boot or use another machine would use NTVDM but DOSBox quickly became the best option besides real DOS.
If you insist on NTVDM then look into SoundFX as well as the last version of VDMSound, look into CLI2NOP (may or not be necessary for XP), look into NOLFB or NOLFBLIM, look into disabling certain hardware to enable expanded memory to work when it doesn't, look into the various fixes for videoport so VESA can work on hardware it doesn't, look into DOS32a, dgvoodoo for glide etc etc etc ad infinitum
Closed due to thread title and inane questions.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline