VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DSOAL works fine with most (if not all EAX games I try). Aureal 3D isn't like this, although DSOAL apparently works somewhat, it is not as good as it could be. I tried A3D ALChemy and A3D-Live and both are hit and misses.

If I recall correctly Aureal released A2D that was basically a software rendered Aureal 3D. Is it usable in current hardware?

Also what I noticed with A3D Alchemy and A3D Live is they have a common a3dapi.dll but different a3d.dll. What do these two different files do? A2D doesn't contain the a3d.dll so how is it supposed to function?

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 6, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A2D was nothing more than software A2D emulation for the Win9X systems, but it required a solid CPU and good amount of RAM to use. I can't say whether or not it works on XP and beyond, but it might.

Reply 2 of 6, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2023-02-02, 19:36:

A2D was nothing more than software A2D emulation for the Win9X systems, but it required a solid CPU and good amount of RAM to use. I can't say whether or not it works on XP and beyond, but it might.

Even if it was software emulation did it emulate all the A3D features? And for all version till A3D 3.0

Reply 3 of 6, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
A3D.JPG
Filename
A3D.JPG
File size
77.45 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The chart in the A3D 2.0 product brief shows what it does.
A2D was their offering for ISA soundcards only to get some A3D 1.0 features, but doesn't sound good at all.

Reply 4 of 6, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZanQuance wrote on 2023-02-02, 20:01:

A3D.JPG
The chart in the A3D 2.0 product brief shows what it does.
A2D was their offering for ISA soundcards only to get some A3D 1.0 features, but doesn't sound good at all.

That explains my tests, I wouldn't hear the "atmospheric" sound or similar in the demos. It would have been cool if an A3D 1-3 wrapper was there today..

Reply 5 of 6, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And yes I didn't hear any reflection there. So the old A2D is working quite well.

Now i gotta find out how a3dapi.dll and a3d.dll, one has been constant and the other is modified according to the hardware driver/wrapper