VOGONS

Common searches

Half-Life 1.0 72 Fps cap

Topic actions

First post, by djsabreblade

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

can't get this early version to do 100fps. tried console commands nothing works. only 72fps works. any idea?

Duron 800mhz 256mb ram geforce2 mx Windows 98se
K8V-MX/S Sempron 2600+ 512mb Ram Radeon 9600XT 256mb Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2
djsabreblade.bandcamp.com

Reply 2 of 20, by djsabreblade

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

tried v-sync on or off, seems to be an engine cap but it doesn't go above 72fps for some reason. i know later versions work with fps_max ''100'' but this first 1998 version won't let me go above 72fps. i have my monitor at 144hz if that could be an issue not sure?

K8V-MX/S Sempron 2600+ 512mb Ram Radeon 9600XT 256mb Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2

Reply 3 of 20, by GokuSS4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HL patched?
http://pub.maffert.net/counterstrike/hl/

hl1110.exe

Win10 Ryzen 7 5800X | TUF B450M-Pro | 32GB DDR4-3800 CL16 | RX 6800 XT
WinXP Core i3-3220 | H77 Pro4-M | 8GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | X1950 Pro
Win98SE Pentium E5800 | 775i65G R3.0 | 512MB DDR1-400 CL2 | X850 XT

Reply 4 of 20, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IIRC the fps_max parameter was added in HL 1.1.0.0. Prior versions are locked to 72 FPS.
Vsync can lower this limit to 60 FPS.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 5 of 20, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gamecollector wrote on 2023-02-26, 23:36:

IIRC the fps_max parameter was added in HL 1.1.0.0. Prior versions are locked to 72 FPS.
Vsync can lower this limit to 60 FPS.

Okay thanks for the hint about this parameter. I've been wondering why I'm getting only 60/72 fps (with/without Vsync) on Half-Life for a while with my monitor running at 120Hz, even when using the Xash3D engine (Vanilla or FWGS).

A question: Does Vsync always cap fps to 60, or it would cap the fps to whatever refresh rate your monitor is currently running, provided your fps_max is high enough?

Reply 6 of 20, by djsabreblade

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

72fps which was the original engine cap (which is kinda strange since back then crt monitors with 85hz was the norm!) 1.1 sucks since they removed vbob

Last edited by djsabreblade on 2023-03-04, 01:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 20, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

May be a question for Carmack or Romero as far as the limit.

Just a guess but it's possible it was inherited from the Quake engine and possibly it was set to that value due to Quake being designed on a CRT and/or stereo and/or being a range that was probably flicker free and supported by the range of video cards and hardware and networking that Quake was designed for and tested on.
Also 24fpsx3=72.
72 divided by 2 = 36
In software mode it's almost roughly 2x as slow: https://thandor.net/benchmark/33
https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comments/g … 96_all_we_know/
https://www.engadget.com/2019-09-26-john-carm … ml?guccounter=1

https://github.com/ESWAT/john-carmack-plan-ar … c_plan_1996.txt

John Carmack's .plan for Aug 02, 1996 ----------------------------------------- […]
Show full quote

John Carmack's .plan for Aug 02, 1996
-----------------------------------------

Here is The New Plan:

I copied off the quake codebase and set about doing some major improvements. The old v1.01 codebase will still be updated to fix bugs with the current version, but I didn't want to hold back from fixing things properly even if it involves some major changes.

I am focusing on the internet play aspect of the game. While I can lay out a grand clean-sheet-of-paper design, I have chosen to pursue something of a limited enough scope that I can expect to start testing it around the end of the month (august). I still have my grand plans for the future, but I want to get some stuff going NOW.

QuakeWorld.

The code I am developing right now is EXCLUSIVELY for internet play. It will be rolled back into the single player game sometime along the road to Quake 2 (or whatever it turns out to be called), but the experimental QuakeWorld release will consist of seperate programs for the client and the server. They will use the same data as the current registered quake, so the only thing that will be distributed is new executables (they will peacefully coexist with current quake).

There will be a single master server running here at id. Whenever anyone starts up a server, it will register itself with the master server, and whenever a client wants to start a game, it will inquire with the master to find out which servers are available.

Users will have a persistant account, and all frags on the entire internet will be logged. I want us to be able to give a global ranking order of everyone playing the game. You should be able to say, "I am one of the ten best QuakeWorld players in existance", and have the record to back it up. There are all sorts of other cool stats that we could mine out of the data: greatest frags/minute, longest uninterrupted quake game, cruelest to newbies, etc, etc.

For the time being, this is just my pet research project. The new exes will only work with registered Quake, so I can justify it as a registration incentive (don't pirate!).

If it looks feasable, I would like to see internet focused gaming become a justifiable biz direction for us. Its definately cool, but it is uncertain if people can actually make money at it. My halfway thought out proposal for a biz plan is that we let anyone play the game as an anonymous newbie to see if they like it, but to get their name registered and get on the ranking list, they need to pay $10 or so. Newbies would be automatically kicked from servers if a paying customer wants to get on. Sound reasonable?

Technical improvements.

The game physics is being reworked to make it faster and more uniform. Currently, a p90 dedicated server is about 50% loaded with eight players. The new network code causes a higher cpu load, so I am trying to at least overbalance that, and maybe make a little headway. A single p6-200 system should be able to run around ten simultanious eight player servers. Multiple servers running on a single machine will work a lot better with the master server automatically dealing with different port adresses behind the client's back.

A couple subtle features are actually going away. The automatic view tilting on slopes and stairs is buggy in v1.01, and over a couple hundred millisecond latancy connection, it doesn't usually start tilting until you are allready on a different surface, so I just ripped it out entirely. A few other non-crucial game behaviors are also being cut in the interest of making the physics easier to match on the client side.

I'm going to do a good chat mode.

Servers will have good access control lists. If somebody manages to piss off the entire community, we could even ban them at the master server.

The big difference is in the net code. While I can remember and justify all of my decisions about networking from DOOM through Quake, the bottom line is that I was working with the wrong basic assumptions for doing a good internet game. My original design was targeted at <200ms connection latencies. People that have a digital connection to the internet through a good provider get a pretty good game experience. Unfortunately, 99% of the world gets on with a slip or ppp connection over a modem, often through a crappy overcrowded ISP. This gives 300+ ms latencies, minimum. Client. User's modem. ISP's modem. Server. ISP's modem. User's modem. Client. God, that sucks.

Ok, I made a bad call. I have a T1 to my house, so I just wasn't familliar with PPP life. I'm adressing it now.

The first move was to scrap the current net code. It was based on a reliable stream as its original primitive (way back in qtest), then was retrofited to have an unreliable sideband to make internet play feasable. It was a big mess, so I took it out and shot it. The new code has the unreliable packet as its basic primitive, and all the complexities that entails is now visible to the main code instead of hidden under the net api. This is A Good Thing. Goodbye phantom unconnected players, messages not getting through, etc.

The next move was a straightforward attack on latency. The communications channel is not the only thing that contributes to a latent response, and there was some good ground to improve on.

In a perfect environment, the instant you provided any input (pressed a key, moved a mouse, etc) you would have feedback on the screen (or speaker) from the action.

In the real world, even single player games have latency.

A typical game loop goes something like: Read user input. Simulate the world. Render a new graphics scene. Repeat.

If the game is running 15 frames a second, that is 66 ms each frame. The user input will arive at a random point in the frame, so it will be an average of 33 ms before the input is even looked at. The input is then read, and 66 more ms pass before the result is actually displayed to the user, for a total of nearly 100 ms of latency, right on your desktop. (you can even count another 8 ms or so for raster refresh if you want to get picky).

The best way to adress that latency is to just make the game run faster if possible. If the screen was sized down so that the game ran 25 fps, the latency would be down to 60ms. There are a few other things that can be done to shave a bit more off, like short circuiting some late braeking information (like view angles) directly into the refresh stage, bypassing the simulation stage.

The bearing that this all has on net play, aside from setting an upper limit on performance, is that the current Quake servers have a similar frame cycle. They had to, to provide -listen server support. Even when you run a dedicated server, the model is still: fetch all input, process the world, send updates out to all clients. The default server framerate is 20 fps (50 ms). You can change this by adjusting the sys_ticrate cvar, but there are problems either way. If you ask for more fps from the server, you may get less latency, but you would almost certainly overcommit the bandwidth of a dialup link, resulting in all sorts of unwanted buffering in the routers and huge multi thousand ms latency times as things unclog (if they ever do).

The proper way to address this is by changing the server model from a game style loop to a fileserver/database style loop.

Instead of expecting everyone's messages to be dealt with at once, I now deal with each packet as it comes in. That player alone is moved forward in time, and a custom response is sent out in very short order. The rest of the objects in the world are spread out between the incoming packets. There are a lot of issues that that brings up. Time is no longer advancing uniformly for all objects in the world, which can cause a lot of problems.

It works, though! The average time from a packet ariving at the system to the time a response is sent back is down to under 4ms, as opposed to over 50 with the old dedicated servers.

Another side benefit is that the server never blindly sends packets out into the void, they must be specifically asked for (note that this is NOT a strict request/reply, because the client is streaming request without waiting for the replies).

I am going to be adding bandwidth estimation to help out modem links. If quake knows that a link is clogged up, it can choose not to send anything else, which is far, far better than letting the network buffer everything up or randomly drop packets. A dialup line can just say "never send more than 2000 bytes a second in datagrams", and while the update rate may drop in an overcommited situation, the latency will never pile up like it can with the current version of quake.

The biggest difference is the addition of client side movement simulation.

I am now allowing the client to guess at the results of the users movement until the authoritative response from the server comes through. This is a biiiig architectural change. The client now needs to know about solidity of objects, friction, gravity, etc. I am sad to see the elegent client-as-terminal setup go away, but I am practical above idealistic.

The server is still the final word, so the client is allways repredicting it's movement based off of the last known good message from the server.

There are still a lot of things I need to work out, but the basic results are as hoped for: even playing over a 200+ ms latency link, the player movement feels exactly like you are playing a single player game (under the right circumstances -- you can also get it to act rather weird at the moment).

The latency isn't gone, though. The client doesn't simulate other objects in the world, so you apear to run a lot closer to doors before they open, and most noticably, projectiles from your weapons seem to come out from where you were, instead of where you are, if you are strafing sideways while you shoot.

An interesting issue to watch when this gets out is that you won't be able to tell how long the latency to the server is based on your movement, but you will need to lead your opponents differently when shooting at them.

In a clean sheet of paper redesign, I would try to correct more of the discrepencies, but I think I am going to have a big enough improvement coming out of my current work to make a lot of people very happy.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 20, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LSS10999 wrote on 2023-02-27, 00:57:

A question

To the refresh rate.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 9 of 20, by GokuSS4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

FPS effects von GoldSrc Engine are wyld 😀

https://wiki.sourceruns.org/wiki/FPS_Effects

Win10 Ryzen 7 5800X | TUF B450M-Pro | 32GB DDR4-3800 CL16 | RX 6800 XT
WinXP Core i3-3220 | H77 Pro4-M | 8GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | X1950 Pro
Win98SE Pentium E5800 | 775i65G R3.0 | 512MB DDR1-400 CL2 | X850 XT

Reply 10 of 20, by Grunt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Let me guess:
QW:

/*
==================
Host_SimulationTime

This determines if enough time has passed to run a simulation frame
==================
*/
qboolean Host_SimulationTime(float time)
{
float fps;

if (oldrealtime > realtime)
oldrealtime = 0;

if (cl_maxfps.value)
fps = max(30.0, min(cl_maxfps.value, 72.0));
else
fps = max(30.0, min(rate.value/80.0, 72.0));

if (!cls.timedemo && (realtime + time) - oldrealtime < 1.0/fps)
return false; // framerate is too high
return true;
}
#endif

WinQuake:

===================
Host_FilterTime
Returns false if the time is too short to run a frame
===================
*/
qboolean Host_FilterTime (float time)
{
realtime += time;

if (!cls.timedemo && realtime - oldrealtime < 1.0/72.0)

host_frametime = realtime - oldrealtime;
oldrealtime = realtime;

if (host_framerate.value > 0)
host_frametime = host_framerate.value;
else
{ // don't allow really long or short frames
if (host_frametime > 0.1)
host_frametime = 0.1;
if (host_frametime < 0.001)
host_frametime = 0.001;
}

return true;
}

(Win)Quake inheritance.

Reply 11 of 20, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Grunt wrote on 2023-03-02, 16:14:
Let me guess: QW: […]
Show full quote

Let me guess:
QW:

/*
==================
Host_SimulationTime

This determines if enough time has passed to run a simulation frame
==================
*/
qboolean Host_SimulationTime(float time)
{
float fps;

if (oldrealtime > realtime)
oldrealtime = 0;

if (cl_maxfps.value)
fps = max(30.0, min(cl_maxfps.value, 72.0));
else
fps = max(30.0, min(rate.value/80.0, 72.0));

if (!cls.timedemo && (realtime + time) - oldrealtime < 1.0/fps)
return true;
}
#endif

WinQuake:

===================
Host_FilterTime
Returns false if the time is too short to run a frame
===================
*/
qboolean Host_FilterTime (float time)
{
realtime += time;

if (!cls.timedemo && realtime - oldrealtime < 1.0/72.0)

host_frametime = realtime - oldrealtime;
oldrealtime = realtime;

if (host_framerate.value > 0)
host_frametime = host_framerate.value;
else
{ // don't allow really long or short frames
if (host_frametime > 0.1)
host_frametime = 0.1;
if (host_frametime < 0.001)
host_frametime = 0.001;
}

return true;
}

(Win)Quake inheritance.

So the routines in question purposedly limited the fps range to 30-72? If this "cl_maxfps.value" variable is the one used to store the user-configured fps cap...

GokuSS4 wrote on 2023-03-01, 22:19:

FPS effects von GoldSrc Engine are wyld 😀

https://wiki.sourceruns.org/wiki/FPS_Effects

EDIT: I'm not sure the overall context of the execution of these routines... these seems to be testing whether the time needed to render a frame is within the limit given by the frame rate (to decide if a frame should be rendered, maybe), and it seems to cap at 72. Given the odd behaviors when set at higher frame rate... it's possible not all related routines honor this same 72fps cap which caused some routines to run out of sync...

Reply 12 of 20, by Grunt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LSS10999 wrote on 2023-03-03, 00:40:

So the routines in question purposedly limited the fps range to 30-72?

Not much sure, but pretty sure 72 fps was max. frame rate for Quake (might be defined in some header) back then. It's pretty rational since 72Hz was refresh rate of CRTs back in the day.

Reply 13 of 20, by d3vilsadvocate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I‘d like to hijack this: what‘s the best way of running/installing this game?
Download an image for the archive? Install a few patches? What‘s the best version for a w98 sys?

Any input appreciated.

Reply 14 of 20, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d3vilsadvocate wrote on 2023-03-29, 14:14:

Download an image for the archive? Install a few patches? What‘s the best version for a w98 sys?

Any input appreciated.

Best bet is get it from Ebay or look to flea markets and etc. Don't bother with "black market" it's not worth the trouble.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 15 of 20, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If we're talking about configuring the retail CD release to run on a retro rig, I made a mini guide when I replayed it recently.

There are of course many other ways to play Half-Life on modern systems, but my approach is based on a retro gamer's perspective.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 16 of 20, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know if it's the "best" way but Xash3D v4529 should work on 9x. I know it does for 2000.

The HL that comes with Steam has Steam DRM but none of the Steam wrappers that work with the game work without kernelex, so you'll need to use kernelex to use those wrappers.

You'll likely want vanilla or Xash anyway.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 17 of 20, by d3vilsadvocate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-03-29, 14:34:

If we're talking about configuring the retail CD release to run on a retro rig, I made a mini guide when I replayed it recently.

There are of course many other ways to play Half-Life on modern systems, but my approach is based on a retro gamer's perspective.

thanks, got it to work like that

I suppose a geforce 4 ti 4200 is a little on the weakish side for this game at 1280x1024... ?

Reply 18 of 20, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
d3vilsadvocate wrote on 2023-03-29, 16:45:

thanks, got it to work like that

I suppose a geforce 4 ti 4200 is a little on the weakish side for this game at 1280x1024... ?

Should be fine. Maybe try without 8x Anisotropic Filtering first, but even that shouldn't tax the card too much for Half-Life.

Be advised that this game is very demanding on the CPU. For a smooth 60+ FPS experience, you probably need a 1 GHz Pentium 3 or equivalent.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi