VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by OldGameGlitches

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've looked around online but it seems no one has figured out a fix for this. On my Windows 10 22H2 PC, World in Conflict won't launch if Directx 10 is forced in the config file. Anyone have any thoughts on how to get it to work?

My system specs:
4090 RTX
64GB RAM (5600Mhz Corsair, don't know specific model)

This shows the error that I get:

wic error - Copy - Copy.jpg
Filename
wic error - Copy - Copy.jpg
File size
42.44 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Last edited by OldGameGlitches on 2023-05-31, 03:28. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 18, by OldGameGlitches

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2023-05-28, 03:58:

PCGW points to some issue on the Dx10 game since Windows 7
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/World_in_Conflict

Thanks for replying. I'd seen that on PCGamingWiki, but interestingly Dx10 for WiC used to work on Win10. For example, if you check the comments on this video, the uploader explains that the video taken is of a Win10 WiC installation and how he got Dx10 working on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSoYMt6KVkQ

I should make clear that the game runs fine for me on Dx9, but that required that I patch the exe with the Large Address Aware program and I also had to use a fix to stop it from crashing because it doesn't normally work on PCs with as many CPU cores as mine has.

Reply 3 of 18, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
OldGameGlitches wrote on 2023-05-28, 04:19:

Thanks for replying. I'd seen that on PCGamingWiki, but interestingly Dx10 for WiC used to work on Win10. For example, if you check the comments on this video, the uploader explains that the video taken is of a Win10 WiC installation and how he got Dx10 working on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSoYMt6KVkQ

I should make clear that the game runs fine for me on Dx9, but that required that I patch the exe with the Large Address Aware program and I also had to use a fix to stop it from crashing because it doesn't normally work on PCs with as many CPU cores as mine has.

Probably your patch changed something. It can't load a procedure entry point, unless the game is too old that Windows no longer has it, or you patched the game with something available for a different platform. Can you try the unpatched Dx10 game?

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 4 of 18, by OldGameGlitches

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2023-05-28, 04:51:
OldGameGlitches wrote on 2023-05-28, 04:19:

Probably your patch changed something. It can't load a procedure entry point, unless the game is too old that Windows no longer has it, or you patched the game with something available for a different platform. Can you try the unpatched Dx10 game?

I reverted the exe to its unpatched form, but I get the same error if I try to run the game in Dx10. I'm wondering if Win10 21H2 or 22H2 broke something needed to make Dx10 work.

Do you have Win10? Just wondering if anyone could test this on their setup to see if they get the same crash. The "Game Options.txt" file has to have the myDX10Flag line set to 1 and then the Game Options file should be set to read only to check this.

Reply 6 of 18, by OldGameGlitches

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2023-05-28, 17:16:

Are you using the retail release or any digital release, so that I can test correctly?

I'm using the GOG version, called "World in Conflict: Complete Edition."

Reply 7 of 18, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
OldGameGlitches wrote on 2023-05-28, 19:20:

Are you using the retail release or any digital release, so that I can test correctly?

I sent you a PM, please check

Reply 8 of 18, by OldGameGlitches

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2023-05-29, 05:43:
OldGameGlitches wrote on 2023-05-28, 19:20:

I sent you a PM, please check

I received and read your message, but apparently I'm not allowed to send PMs because I'm too new! 🙁

Reply 9 of 18, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Works fine on Windows 10 here. GOG version with the processor patch and Large Adress Aware.

If you've seen a video of the game DX10 on Windows 10, why the misleading topic title? You know it isn't broken in Windows 10, you know there's something else wrong with your setup.

I wouldn't go jumping to other conclusions either ("well it probably doesn't work in the latest version of Windows 10"). Not that it isn't worth checking, but there's a pretty big chance it's something else. I'm on 21H2 if you want a major version that's guaranteed to work. That said if you do install 21H2 and it works, it still doesn't mean that the Windows version was the issue, you would need to reinstall 22H2 on another computer to eliminate a ton of other variables.

Obvious questions: Does FaultRep.dll exist? Does SFC say it's OK?

Reply 10 of 18, by OldGameGlitches

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2023-05-29, 16:38:
Works fine on Windows 10 here. GOG version with the processor patch and Large Adress Aware. […]
Show full quote

Works fine on Windows 10 here. GOG version with the processor patch and Large Adress Aware.

If you've seen a video of the game DX10 on Windows 10, why the misleading topic title? You know it isn't broken in Windows 10, you know there's something else wrong with your setup.

I wouldn't go jumping to other conclusions either ("well it probably doesn't work in the latest version of Windows 10"). Not that it isn't worth checking, but there's a pretty big chance it's something else. I'm on 21H2 if you want a major version that's guaranteed to work. That said if you do install 21H2 and it works, it still doesn't mean that the Windows version was the issue, you would need to reinstall 22H2 on another computer to eliminate a ton of other variables.

Obvious questions: Does FaultRep.dll exist? Does SFC say it's OK?

Good point about the title. I edited the title and OP. FaultRep.dll is in System 32. It seems SFC thinks it's fine:

faultrep results - Copy.png
Filename
faultrep results - Copy.png
File size
18.03 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 11 of 18, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you try running the game in DX10 mode after that? Could be that DISM fixed the file, if so SFC wouldn't say anything is wrong. I admittedly have no idea how DISM works.

I checked a Win11 22H2 PC and FaultRep.dll had SymGetGetModuleInfoW64 there, not that I could test World in Conflict on that PC. But it seems that hasn't been removed by Windows updates at least.

I'm a bit confused, it finds the file in the correct location and if SFC says it's OK then it should have that entry point. Sorry, can't be of any help here.

Reply 12 of 18, by OldGameGlitches

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2023-05-30, 07:54:

Did you try running the game in DX10 mode after that? Could be that DISM fixed the file, if so SFC wouldn't say anything is wrong. I admittedly have no idea how DISM works.

I checked a Win11 22H2 PC and FaultRep.dll had SymGetGetModuleInfoW64 there, not that I could test World in Conflict on that PC. But it seems that hasn't been removed by Windows updates at least.

I'm a bit confused, it finds the file in the correct location and if SFC says it's OK then it should have that entry point. Sorry, can't be of any help here.

Unfortunately, yes, the same error occurs.

I recently found this instance of someone else getting the error too, on an older version of Win10 (it can be seen in the screenshot in the OP), which would seem to make 22H2 as a possible cause unlikely, so I'm also mystified: https://www.reddit.com/r/Massgate/comments/eg … 1011_w_windows/

Reply 13 of 18, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a different opinion: have you ever tried the no-CD patches for the game? They might fix something, I know the game is cpu core-bugged but the dll file error may go

Reply 14 of 18, by OldGameGlitches

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2023-05-30, 16:04:

I have a different opinion: have you ever tried the no-CD patches for the game? They might fix something, I know the game is cpu core-bugged but the dll file error may go

Thanks I'll try that. I responded to your PM btw, not sure if you saw.

EDIT: Ok a problem is that I see various no-cd patches for WiC but none for my game version (1.0.1.1).

EDIT: Just for the hell of it I tried some of the old-version no-cd patches. The only result was some "application could not launch" error.

Reply 15 of 18, by OldGameGlitches

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I fixed the problem. I don't understand it at all, but I fixed it. It turns out that at any resolution above 4K (that I've tried so far, at least) using DX10 in WiC on my system, causes the bug I described. When I figured this out, I even tried launching WiC at 4K res and then switching the resolution to one above 4K. This worked fine seemingly. But when I went to run the WiC benchmark, I saw "MISSING TEXTURE" everywhere, and then it crashed. Resolutions above 4K work fine on DX9 for me, however. Guess I'll be playing in 4K with DX10. Possibly relevant: I'm only able to go above 4K resolution using Nvidia DSR. Perhaps that has something to do with this? No idea. If anyone out there can test and see if resolutions above 4K in DX10 also cause this bug, with and without DSR, that would help.

Reply 17 of 18, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
OldGameGlitches wrote on 2023-05-31, 03:16:

I fixed the problem. I don't understand it at all, but I fixed it. It turns out that at any resolution above 4K (that I've tried so far, at least) using DX10 in WiC on my system, causes the bug I described. When I figured this out, I even tried launching WiC at 4K res and then switching the resolution to one above 4K. This worked fine seemingly. But when I went to run the WiC benchmark, I saw "MISSING TEXTURE" everywhere, and then it crashed. Resolutions above 4K work fine on DX9 for me, however. Guess I'll be playing in 4K with DX10. Possibly relevant: I'm only able to go above 4K resolution using Nvidia DSR. Perhaps that has something to do with this? No idea. If anyone out there can test and see if resolutions above 4K in DX10 also cause this bug, with and without DSR, that would help.

I think I faced a similar issue in Crysis, which is yet another DX10 game. It didn't give DLL errors but something else. Hooking with DxWnd, I somehow managed to run it with lots of missing textures, long loading and such. At least that game had a patch to run it on modern PCs so that simplified things.

At least all is well now.

Regarding the PM, yes I that, but the source of file source doesn't work properly in my country (bummer). Monitor is 1080p, I used DSR to get upto 4K as I remember but I couldn't go above it.

kolderman wrote on 2023-05-31, 04:17:

Why would you want to launch above 4k?

My system specs: 4090 RTX 13900K 64GB RAM (5600Mhz Corsair, don't know specific model) […]
Show full quote

My system specs:
4090 RTX
64GB RAM (5600Mhz Corsair, don't know specific model)

Reply 18 of 18, by OldGameGlitches

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
OldGameGlitches wrote on 2023-05-31, 03:16:

I think I faced a similar issue in Crysis, which is yet another DX10 game. It didn't give DLL errors but something else. Hooking with DxWnd, I somehow managed to run it with lots of missing textures, long loading and such. At least that game had a patch to run it on modern PCs so that simplified things.

At least all is well now.

Regarding the PM, yes I that, but the source of file source doesn't work properly in my country (bummer). Monitor is 1080p, I used DSR to get upto 4K as I remember but I couldn't go above it.

That's interesting about Crysis. Thanks for your help in this thread.

kolderman wrote on 2023-05-31, 04:17:

Why would you want to launch above 4k?

On my monitor most games look too "sharp" to me when running in 4k, even with monitor sharpness set to the lowest possible value. Using DSR to run games in resolutions above 4K fixes the problem. But as it happens WiC looks good to me at 4K so it's fine.