VOGONS

First post, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess there are two schools of thought (well, my thought at least)

A) Stick with a 'vintage true' 13 or 14 inch VGA capable monitor
B) Sky's the limit (WS, LCD, Front Projection, etc)

Right now I have a ViewSonic GS790 (old faithful) 19 inch CRT. Well, it's not metro enough and it's clashing with my black LCD on my main box. And it's a curved screen CRT 🙁 Er.. um.. yeah.

Anyway, I figure stick with CRT, go with flat screen, probably a Dell or Viewsonic, 19-21 inches, with the black casing. Sound bout right?

Has anyone 'downgraded' to a 12-14 inch crt monitor for old games sake so the pixels are bareable to watch at 320x200?

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀

Reply 1 of 6, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used to have a dos-dedicated machine like you and I had my old 14" monitor with it. It's the best choice if you have a separate machine. 320x200 games look beautiful on it.

So if you have set up a whole machine (apart from your main windows computer) just for dos games, option 'A' is the natural choice. Pretty games and old-school nostalgia. Just my point of view. 😀

Reply 3 of 6, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Due to lack of space I have to go with one monitor and a KVM switch for three rigs. LCD is out of question since I have not yet seen a LCD that can be used with non-standard resolutions and refresh rates of old games and scene demos.

Currently I use a Sony G500 flat Trinitron 21" screen. It has an excellent sharp display at high resolutions (1600x1200). The huge pixels in low resolutions do not bother me at all (and the monitor has a "zoom" function to resize the picture).
However, there are two minor drawbacks with this monitor: On mode switches the screen goes black and takes half a second to synchronize to the new mode. This doesn't seem very long (and is very short compared to most LCDs), but can get quite annoying in programs that often change the video mode.
The second drawback is that VGA tricks like dynamically changing the position of the cathode ray won't work correctly because of the automatic digital image calibration built into the monitor. This "problem" is shared by all modern CRTs, but such effects are rarely used in games.

Reply 6 of 6, by computervirusremoval

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

sherlock holmes can not play on 19 inch flat panel

old dos level game

setting monitor - no good
setting win 98 compatability mode - no good.

running out of ideas here

addictive game
played at least 1000 of the 16,000 versions

jerrold
computer virus removal
j1076366@hotmail.com