VOGONS

Is SCC-1 compatible to lapc/mt32?

Topic actions

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I bought a SCC1-1 for 20euro, and I was wondering if in games , like the Ultima Underworlds for example, choosing the lapc/mt-32 option gives the same result... are these compatible?

Reply 1 of 21, by Nagra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

well, I can not give you a precise answer but two things are for sure:

1. The LAPC-music played trough a SCC-1 differs slightly from a real LAPC-I
(tested it with Ultima Underworld 1 by myself). Some instruments sound exactly like an LAPC-I (had one over a decade ago), others do not. But in many cases it comes very close. Hadn´t the time for longer tests.

2. The LAPC-I contains 33 extra soundeffects (which the identical MT-32, the external version of the LAPC, has not by the way).
Some of these soundfx are used in UU1. For example the waternoise when you are swimming.

I dont believe that the SCC-1 can simulate these fx as well but I am absolutely not sure about this.

I just got an SCC-1 and an MT-32 by myself. It is possible to connect them via MiniDIN to MIDI adaptercable. Then I will be able to hear at least the LAPC-I music through the MT-32 but unfortunately not the extra soundfx 🙁

The best way would be to get an LAPC-I or a CM-32L wich is the LAPC in an external module. That module, like the MT32, can be connected to your SCC-1 to play music AND the extra sound fx.

Glad to here that there are others out there who want to experience the UU again like me.

joe

p.s. There was one other external module manufactured by Roland: The CM-500, which is the best of both worlds. It contains the LAPC-I AND the SCC-1 in the case of a CM-32L

See this forum as well for further information around Roland and midi-hardware:
http://www.queststudios.com/forum/

Last edited by Nagra on 2006-09-11, 15:03. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 3 of 21, by Nagra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A CM-32L will do just fine cause you already got an SCC-1.
And to connect an external roland-module to your computer you need a real roland midi mpu401-interface (AFAIK).

Your SCC-1 contains one - it is one!

It should be possible to use a later ISA soundcards midi-port as well, but I have heard that it often becomes difficult to set up.

With an original roland-interface everything will work pretty well and without problems.

Nagra

Reply 4 of 21, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

thanx Nagra, but still I cannot understand one thing: if I get the cm-32L, and connect it to the scc-i , then the scc-i is disabled and only used as a midi interface, right? so when a game supports scc-i, then I disconnect the cm-32l? or do they both work ??? 😦

Reply 5 of 21, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

thanx Nagra, but still I cannot understand one thing: if I get the cm-32L, and connect it to the scc-i , then the scc-i is disabled and only used as a midi interface, right? so when a game supports scc-i, then I disconnect the cm-32l? or do they both work ???

If the game supports the SCC-1, simply keep the CM-32L turned off. That way, the data will only go to the SCC-1. Disabling the SCC-1 requires sysex midi commands, perhaps it would be simplier to just use an audio switch when you don't want to listen to it.

Reply 6 of 21, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

too bad I cannot find a cm-32l or a lapc-i on ebay...
🤣
any other places to look for one?

edit: on this PAGE there is some info and progs for the scc-1 , one of them is a tiny prog, SCMODE used to make scc-1 go to mt-32 mode...

Reply 7 of 21, by Nagra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

last night, um - very, very early in this morning I set up my new retro-pc.

First I connected all the different audio outputs from

-soundblaster pro
-scc-1A
-mt-32

to a cheap behringer audiomixer. From there a master signal goes directly into my old stereo amplifier with passive speakers.

After that I connected my MT-32 to my SCC-1A with a miniDIN to MIDI cable and started Ultima Underworld.

It works fantastic! With absolutely not the slightest problem!
When setting Ultima Underworlds audio option to MT-32 and Soundblaster and start the game, BOTH SCC-1A AND the connected MT-32 play music at the same time! On my mixer I only have to silence the scc1 and back in the good old times I am. It is very convinient. With a mixer you can easily balance music and soundeffects/speech as you like it to hear. No other programs or midi setup changes are needed then to silence the scc1.

nagra

Last edited by Nagra on 2006-09-11, 09:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 21, by Nagra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately that will have to wait.
Cause I have that app downloaded on my MAC that has NO 3,5" Disk Drive.

I first need a 3,5"-USB diskdrive to "transport" the program to my PC. And my PCs cd-rom drive is still not set up at this time.

Hope your SCC1 will arrive soon. There are one or two MT32 on german ebay right now.

Nagra

Last edited by Nagra on 2006-09-11, 09:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 21, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah, I see 'em 🤣
mt-32 = lapc-i right?
what troubles me is that midi-connection cable.. is it a normal one or a roland-patent one??? don't know where to get one ...

Reply 11 of 21, by Nagra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

mt-32 = lapc-i right?
Yeah, but WITHOUT the extra 33 soundeffects. Some games take advantage of em.

The adaptor-cable came with my card. Cant tell you more about it.

Just go to a store that sells music equipment. There you will definetely find help.

Nagra

EDIT: Here is a picture of my SCC-1 (I won the "-A" in another auction:-)
You can see the adaptorcable. You will need a standard midicable (male to male) as well to make the connection to any external midi device.

Reply 12 of 21, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ah, u got that one 😁 😁 😁
I will wait and see if mine arrives with a cable... and some results on the scmode, I really don't want to get another device...

Reply 13 of 21, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

An alternative to the CM-32 is also the CM-64, it also got the sfx and works fine with Ultima Underworld.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 18 of 21, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I see on the web that the mpu I got was sold without that little ISA card... could this card be just a simple inteface to the pc? so u can use it without another soudncard?

Reply 19 of 21, by Nagra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What? The card is not included or did you mean that it originaly was sold seperate?

Cant tell if the breakoutbox works with other soundcards. It may, but if so, then definately with setup-problems. What I have learned is that an original roland midi-interface isnt just the same as other midi-interfaces which can be found on various soundcards.

Please look here for deeper information
http://www.queststudios.com/forum/viewtopic.p … hlight=mpu+card