VOGONS

First post, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've still got quite a bit of SDRAM and some fairly nice AGP cards lying around that I'd like to put to good use. SDRAM, alas, seems to have vanished from use some time ago, and AGP doesn't look too common anymore either.

Could someone please suggest a good motherboard that takes both SDRAM and AGP cards and is still readily available?

Reply 3 of 9, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are SDRAM P4 mobos. I had a case just recently where I had to upgrade ram in some machine at work and I had to search for SDRAM 😀
It was some Compaq computer, not sure which motherboard...

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 5 of 9, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How about Epox 8KTA3+? If I recall correctly, it still uses SDRAM.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 6 of 9, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The early P4 boards with the original 845 chipset used SDRAM. The only other option at the time for P4 was the super expensive RDRAM-based mobos. P4 does not like the limited bandwidth of SDRAM, tho, and it makes the systems much slower than a high-end P3.

I, too, had to upgrade one. It had a Willamette P4 1.8, I believe, and was certainly sluggish. SDRAM was expensive at the time so I only upped it to a pair of CAS2 PC133 256 meg sticks. That's the fastest it will ever be 🤣.

There are quite a few SDRAM options out there. Nothing remotely recent tho. Look for something with the i815 or KT133A chipsets, depending on what CPU you want to use. I'd stay away from SDRAM P4s tho.

Reply 7 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most interesting, thanks.

The problem with i815 (which is what I currently have) is that it only takes 512 MB of RAM; I obtained another 512 MB stick recently, which is what touched off these musings. I guess I won't be doing anything terribly useful with it.

Reply 8 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Say, I nearly forgot about this ASUS CUV-NT board I had on hand. I thought it was DDR, but I was wrong!

It uses the VIA Apollo Pro133A chipset, which apparently supports 768 MB of RAM, which is good. Can someone suggest an obvious reason why I shouldn't switch over to this board? (Of course, I'll have to reinstall Windows etc. from scratch, and I might as well buy something decent if I'm going to have to go through that hassle. But aside from that..? Are there still Windows 98 drivers for it?)

Reply 9 of 9, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are Pentium D 945 chipset motherboards that support DDR1 and AGP around. They are capable of supporting up to a 3.4ghz Pentium D CPU and some even support AGP and PCIe on the same board.