VOGONS

PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 222 of 1046, by ecksemmess

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First, I'd just like to say that PCem is an absolute godsend for a vintage-PC buff such as myself--SarahWalker, thank you so much for your dedication and the years of hard work you've poured into this fantastic emulator. I'm thrilled that you're still working on it and that it's getting better by the day!

Apologies if I've missed something obvious, but as of 0.7 I can't seem to find any way to go fullscreen (other than by maximizing or dragging out the window, which isn't very palatable). With all due respect, this seems like quite a strange omission; fullscreen is rather essential for proper gaming, and in my experience it's one of the quickest and simplest features to add to a project like this. Assuming I'm not just missing it, I'd like to know if there's some particular reason a fullscreen mode hasn't been implemented, and whether the addition of one is planned for any time in the near future (or far future, for that matter).

Again, thanks to SarahWalker and everyone else who has so generously invested time and effort into this project. 😀

Reply 225 of 1046, by ecksemmess

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bit of a red herring, surely? Just make the fullscreen toggle something like Ctrl+Alt+Pause/Break, which would rarely if ever be used for anything else. That's the combination a lot of VMs/remote desktops/etc. use, including Microsoft RDP, and it's never caused anyone any problems from what I can tell.

Edit: I see that Pause/Break doesn't exist on some smaller Mac keyboards, but there appear to be reasonable workarounds, and a lot of Apple software does assume the existence of that key.

Reply 226 of 1046, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi. Can anyone post a step-by-step for compiling pcem? What you download, what you type in, etc? I'm not a programmer. I'm all for the "teach a man how to fish", but I do need the instructions to do so!

Oh, and thank you Tom for the wonderful work you are doing. 😎

Reply 228 of 1046, by SA1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

About Windows 2.x (mostly the 386 editions) and PC-DOS 2.x and 3.x, I get this log while booting from hard disk after I sys'ed the drive with sys from PC-DOS 3.x (both 3.0, 3.1) and booting with win386.exe on Windows 2.x. (This happened in the latest svn release of the emulator, but not in the stock 0.7 release from 2012)

x86 illegal 0000 00000000 0000:00000627 82

I couldn't post the full log because it was too big for the uploader.

Reply 230 of 1046, by SA1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

IBM AT, AMI 286, AMI 386, AMI 486, AMI 486 PCI, Award 430VX PCI, but does not happen in the IBM XT and IBM PC as well as the Olivetti M24, Amstrad clones (1512 and 1640)
Edit: the same issue happens while starting Windows 3.0 and 3.1 in standard mode with the 286 clones and the IBM AT.

Reply 231 of 1046, by swampfox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here you go, friends.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4pIOIy0EbSj … dit?usp=sharing

Compiled Windows-i686 binary for those who can't compile 😀

One bug I've found so far. When configuring using a 386 or higher, the options available in the CPU Type drop-down box are kinda screwy.
There are invalid entries such as "430VX" and "486 class" that will cause a CTD if clicked. The only valid entries are Intel, AMD, Cyrix, and IDT. There are also duplicates, but you can click either one if they are valid like I mentioned.

Otherwise, everything seems to work.

A few warnings during compilation. I should've piped out a logfile. Will report shortly.

Sarah, you are doing an excellent job so far. A badass little utility if I do say so. Keep up the good work.

And to those wanting a Linux build, it appears that PCem currently uses win32api/DirectX libraries exclusively atm. Perhaps one could reroute commands/calls to SDL/OpenGL?

Swampfox's Computing - Google+ and YouTube: https://plus.google.com/108854180391399268575

Reply 235 of 1046, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.os2museum.com occasionally has some in-depth articles on some hopelessly obscure boot bugs that occur in older operating systems.

One post links to PC DOS Retro which in turn has a rather cryptic article on DOS 3.0 INT 21h. Maybe if DOS 3.1 works but not DOS 3.0, that has something to do with it? See also http://www.os2museum.com/wp/?p=1242 .