VOGONS

PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 460 of 1046, by SarahWalker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you can prove to me that on a real 4 meg 86c764 or 86c864, the standard Windows 95 drivers allow setting of 1024x768x32, then I'll consider it a bug. This doesn't mean it's going to be fixed however - I have better things to do with my time than to dig through an old video driver to find out why a certain mode isn't supported.

DOS/V - personally I don't really care. Same with beta operating systems.

Reply 461 of 1046, by Battler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SarahWalker wrote:

If you can prove to me that on a real 4 meg 86c764 or 86c864, the standard Windows 95 drivers allow setting of 1024x768x32, then I'll consider it a bug. This doesn't mean it's going to be fixed however - I have better things to do with my time than to dig through an old video driver to find out why a certain mode isn't supported.

DOS/V - personally I don't really care. Same with beta operating systems.

1. I can prove, download the Windows 3.1 drivers for the 86c764. Read OEMSETUP.INF.
2. You don't really care about DOS/V? Wow, what an attitude. Japan has almost 130 million inhabitants, you're leaving out that huge market with your attitude.

Edit: Not to mention that if PCem doesn't run DOS/V right, then that means its VGA emulation isn't complete, since DOS/V uses standard VGA calls pretty much. So both cases boil down to you not really caring enough to fully emulate something.

Reply 462 of 1046, by SarahWalker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Where did you get the idea that I care anything about markets? I work on this emulator in my spare time, to implement what I want to work on, purely for my own satisfaction. If other people are interested in it, then great. But I don't have to take any shit from someone like you, going on about 'attitude'. This is a hobby, not a job, and I owe you nothing.

Seriously, 'market'? It's an free emulator, not a car.

Reply 463 of 1046, by Battler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SarahWalker wrote:

Where did you get the idea that I care anything about markets? I work on this emulator in my spare time, to implement what I want to work on, purely for my own satisfaction. If other people are interested in it, then great. But I don't have to take any shit from someone like you, going on about 'attitude'. This is a hobby, not a job, and I owe you nothing.

Seriously, 'market'? It's an free emulator, not a car.

I guess I used the wrong then. Userbase is a better word.

First, stop being so rude. I didn't come here and yell "DO IT NOW", I simply came here and suggested what should be fixed. I could also fix the bugs myself and then submit you the fixes, that way you don't even have to lose time on it. But you didn't even try suggesting that possibility, instead you came up with a "who cares" reply. And that's what I took issue with.

And yes, I agree my previous reply was too harsh. But so was yours just now. I absolutely agree that since you're not getting paid for it, you owe nothing to anyone. But still didn't have to stoop so low. And anyway, I have my own hobbies too, and I know how hard it is to develop a piece of software. So it's not like I don't appreciate the work you put into PCem - I absolutely do and am grateful for it. As I said, I only have issues with these two bugs, which as I said, I am willing to try fixing myself and submit you the fixes if I manage to do it.

Reply 464 of 1046, by armankordi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can anyone post ROM's? I can't seem to find any EGA, 286, and, 430VX ROM's that would work..
Thanks! 😁

IBM PS/2 8573-121 386-20 DOS6.2/W3.1
IBM PS/2 8570-E61 386-16 W95
IBM PS/2 8580-071 386-16 (486DX-33 reply) OS/2 warp
486DX/2 - 66/32mb ram/256k cache/504mb hdd/cdrom/awe32/DOS6.2/WFW3.11
K6/2 - 350/128mb ram/512k cache/4.3gb hdd/cdr/sblive/w98

Reply 465 of 1046, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fixing DOS/V would also mean 'expecting' implementation of common hardware that actually used it, like the stuff in NEC PC-88/PC-98. There are already specialized emulators for that purpose, Neko Project II is excellent for it, and SarahWalker doesn't owe emulation of a platform she is not interested in working on in her spare time. It's like telling Quake3 to have a patch to run Unreal Tournament content because there are lots of people that play Unreal Tournament.

Last edited by leileilol on 2014-03-23, 20:38. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 466 of 1046, by SA1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Fixing DOS/V would also mean 'expecting' implementation of common hardware that actually used it, like the stuff in NEC PC-88/PC-98. There are already specialized emulators for that purpose, Neko Project II is excellent for it, and SarahWalker doesn't owe emulation of a platform she is not interested in working on in her spare time.

DOS/V != PC98.
DOS/V is Japanese DOS for standard PC hardware, that is, IBM AT and clones that are on PCem, just for information, you seem to be confused

Last edited by SA1988 on 2014-03-23, 20:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 467 of 1046, by Battler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Fixing DOS/V would also mean 'expecting' implementation of common hardware that actually used it, like the stuff in NEC PC-88/PC-98. There are already specialized emulators for that purpose, Neko Project II is excellent for it, and SarahWalker doesn't owe emulation of a platform she is not interested in working on in her spare time. It's like telling Quake3 to have a patch to run Unreal Tournament content because there are lots of people that play Unreal Tournament.

Actually, DOS/V is for IBM-compatible PC's with any VGA or compatible display adapter. It is distinct from Japanese DOS for the NEC PC-98. And DOS/V already runs on PCem if hardware scrolling is turned off, which means it's simply a bug in hardware scrolling, or possibly PCem not recognizing its 640x475 resolution as a valid one.
For instance, DOS/V runs pretty well in Virtual PC 2007, which also doesn't emulate a PC-98, but provides a virtual IBM-compatible PC.
Likely there's a minor bug in PCem that causes DOS/V to choke, I am going to try to see what actually happens. But as I said in my earlier post, it boils down to either the emulation of the VGA calls not being complete enough or the 640x475 resolution being rejected.
But certainly this has nothing to do with the PC-98, which as you rightfully say, is completely outside PCem's scope.
And as I said, I am going to try to make a fix for the DOS/V hardware scrolling myself, and submit it to Sarah Walker if/when I am done. :p

Edit: I forgot to mention, VMWare had the exact same problem with DOS/V in VMWare Workstation 5 and 6, but then the problem disappeared by Workstation 7. I think it's Microsoft's fault too, since God knows what calls Microsoft used in JDISP.SYS. Though whatever is used, hasn't had problems with any real graphics card I've used.

Last edited by Battler on 2014-03-23, 20:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 468 of 1046, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I stand corrected as I was majorly confused. I don't really follow japanese flavors of DOS because, well.... i don't really live in Japan and my stint with PC-98 has only been for playing Popful Mail.

Submitting a patch is a possibility btw.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 469 of 1046, by HalfMinute

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cube 2 demo, hires 8bb, shows black screen, but music is playing. Maybe its similar problem as with DOS/V hires mode.
Attached.

Attachments

• Filename
    DaCube2.zip
    File size
    99.23 KiB
    Downloads
    113 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 470 of 1046, by SarahWalker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Battler wrote:

First, stop being so rude. I didn't come here and yell "DO IT NOW", I simply came here and suggested what should be fixed. I could also fix the bugs myself and then submit you the fixes, that way you don't even have to lose time on it. But you didn't even try suggesting that possibility, instead you came up with a "who cares" reply.

No, I said I didn't care, and hence was not going to put time into it myself. I didn't entertain the possibility of you submitting a fix because, frankly, almost no-one has ever offered to do so, and nothing in your post suggested you would be prepared or were even capable of doing so. I get constant emails of people begging or even demanding me to emulate x obscure bit of hardware or fix a bug in y obscure piece of software, with no offers of help and zero recognition that it will even take time and effort on my part (often quite considerable, look back in this thread for examples), and there was nothing in your initial post to distinguish it from these.

I apologise for my previous post, which was out of order. But my basic point still stands. I will work on what I am interested in. I have often implemented stuff suggested by other people, but if I decide I am not interested in whatever you want me to look at that is not 'attitude', that is my right to prioritise what I think is interesting and important.

Reply 471 of 1046, by Battler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HalfMinute wrote:

Cube 2 demo, hires 8bb, shows black screen, but music is playing. Maybe its similar problem as with DOS/V hires mode.
Attached.

Could you please test Wolfenstein 3D? I recall that on Qemu, both it and DOS/V black-screened the same way. And if Wolfenstein 3D black screens in PCem too, then it could be connected.

Reply 472 of 1046, by Battler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SarahWalker wrote:
Battler wrote:

First, stop being so rude. I didn't come here and yell "DO IT NOW", I simply came here and suggested what should be fixed. I could also fix the bugs myself and then submit you the fixes, that way you don't even have to lose time on it. But you didn't even try suggesting that possibility, instead you came up with a "who cares" reply.

No, I said I didn't care, and hence was not going to put time into it myself. I didn't entertain the possibility of you submitting a fix because, frankly, almost no-one has ever offered to do so, and nothing in your post suggested you would be prepared or were even capable of doing so. I get constant emails of people begging or even demanding me to emulate x obscure bit of hardware or fix a bug in y obscure piece of software, with no offers of help and zero recognition that it will even take time and effort on my part (often quite considerable, look back in this thread for examples), and there was nothing in your initial post to distinguish it from these.

I apologise for my previous post, which was out of order. But my basic point still stands. I will work on what I am interested in. I have often implemented stuff suggested by other people, but if I decide I am not interested in whatever you want me to look at that is not 'attitude', that is my right to prioritise what I think is interesting and important.

Well, I do realize I should have made my post different. I apologize myself too. As I said, I'm going to try to fix that DOS/V bug in PCem, and if/when I amanaged to do it, I am going to submit you the fix.

Reply 473 of 1046, by truth_deleted

User metadata

Battler, I'm glad that you will be working alongside pcem to fix a bug. You may post some findings and perhaps others will be able to help you through the bug fix. A start would be to find examples of source code and how the DOS/V system works. Can you install DOS/V on vmware or vbox?

Sarah has been very generous to develop this emulator and the underlying code is very difficult to develop, especially by herself. We are fortunate to have her offering her free time to a hopefully grateful community. 😀

Reply 474 of 1046, by armankordi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Battler wrote:
HalfMinute wrote:

Attached.

Could you please test Wolfenstein 3D? I recall that on Qemu, both it and DOS/V black-screened the same way. And if Wolfenstein 3D black screens in PCem too, then it could be connected.

Tested wolf3d, works just fine

IBM PS/2 8573-121 386-20 DOS6.2/W3.1
IBM PS/2 8570-E61 386-16 W95
IBM PS/2 8580-071 386-16 (486DX-33 reply) OS/2 warp
486DX/2 - 66/32mb ram/256k cache/504mb hdd/cdrom/awe32/DOS6.2/WFW3.11
K6/2 - 350/128mb ram/512k cache/4.3gb hdd/cdr/sblive/w98

Reply 475 of 1046, by HalfMinute

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Battler wrote:
HalfMinute wrote:

Attached.

Wolf3d is 320x200x8pp , its lowres. And its working fine in Pcem. You need something that using 640x480x8pp or similar.

Reply 476 of 1046, by Battler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
truth5678 wrote:

Battler, I'm glad that you will be working alongside pcem to fix a bug. You may post some findings and perhaps others will be able to help you through the bug fix. A start would be to find examples of source code and how the DOS/V system works. Can you install DOS/V on vmware or vbox?

Sarah has been very generous to develop this emulator and the underlying code is very difficult to develop, especially by himself. We are fortunate to have her offering her free time to a hopefully grateful community. 😀

VirtualBox no idea, but as I said, on VMWare it had in Workstation 5 and 6 pretty much the same problem as it has on PCem, but it got fixed by Workstation 7. Always worked fine in Virtual PC. Black screens with freeze in QEMU, just like in PCem. Works fine in Bochs.

From what I see, in both PCem and QEMU, it sets the resolution correctly to VGA (640x480), but then nothing displays and it just stays stuck there, frozen. That is, when JDISP.SYS (the DBCS display driver) is run without parameters. Run it with any /HS= parameter, and it works fine. I need to figure out what exactly it does by default, and what exactly causes the problem. Being it a DOS device driver though, it's going to be difficult to debug, though if anyone here has any idea about good DOS device driver debugger, that would be nice. Possibly one that dumps every executed command into a text file complete with a dump of all registers, since that would help show exactly what command and register combination it causes the black screen+freeze at.

Reply 478 of 1046, by Battler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well in DOSBox it works by booting from the floppy image. It has no problem with the video mode DOS/V uses. But well, what I would like is to dump registers and opcodes in PCem, so I can know exactly what opcode etc. it freezes at. That way I then know exactly where to start looking for the bug.

Reply 479 of 1046, by HalfMinute

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You'll have to implement it, there is no internal debugger . In PcEm you can dump registers in the main loop in function void exec386 in 386.c . And do something similar in dosbox, there must be some sort of main loop as well. Then compare output.
Sometimes PCem output usefull things in pclog.txt , but most of the time you will need to log something by yourself.