VOGONS

PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 600 of 1046, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
neozeed wrote:
ppgrainbow wrote:
SA1988 wrote:

small fix: added support for the 8Mhz model of the IBM AT.
I have failed once again at putting the ne2000 support on PCem 🙁

Oh dear, can you explain to me why isn't NE2000 working properly in PCem? 🙁

It's probably hard to do. I know Qemu (GPL & BSD) & Bochs (GPL) both have NE2000, so if I were going to just going to try to mash code, that is where I'd start. Although it doesn't mean any of it will work.

But I haven't programmed anything real in so long that I'm just sitting in the gallery I guess.

That's what I've been thinking. I'm currently running Windows 95 under Qemu 0.9.0 and I got the net working. I couldn't even install Windows 95 under Qemu 2.0 due to errors preventing Windows 95 Setup from progressing properly.

Reply 601 of 1046, by neozeed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ppgrainbow wrote:
Sorry, but I was unable to respond to comments, because the router went kaput and I had to reset to make it work again. […]
Show full quote

Sorry, but I was unable to respond to comments, because the router went kaput and I had to reset to make it work again.

Looking at Neozeed's comment, I believe that it would be good to add multiple configuration files. That way if you want to switch to a different PC configuration (BIOS ROM, Video BIOS ROM, hard disk and memory size), you can simply use a different config file.

So far, on my PC, I have one of the configs backed up as ami386.cfg and the default config is pcem.cfg. If I want to switch the a PC emulating a 386, I would have to make a back up of the current PCem configuration and rename ami386.cfg as pcem.cfg. And quickly jumping from a XT to a 486 and selecting a different configuration can be a bit of a hassle, but it's worth it.

What do you think? 😀

I would agree, as I like having 16MB of ram on the 386 or 486, even the AMI 286, but the IBM AT? Oh no way, it takes FOREVER to boot with more than 640kb of ram. (how did people put up with it back then? I remember using an IBM XT/286, the AT in a XT case, and it took forever to boot with 2MB of ram, so PCem certainly has the emulation done right there!) but yeah having the ability to jump to a 286 with 640kb of ram & EGA and a 386 with the VGA Charger + 8MB , and a 486 with a trident and 16MB of ram would be cool... Just like using different hard disks. Or even separate config sets all together, so I can have say Windows/286 config, and a Windows/386 config...

Or even the ability to specify the config file to use on the command line, and I can just use batch files.....

Reply 602 of 1046, by neozeed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ppgrainbow wrote:

That's what I've been thinking. I'm currently running Windows 95 under Qemu 0.9.0 and I got the net working. I couldn't even install Windows 95 under Qemu 2.0 due to errors preventing Windows 95 Setup from progressing properly.

I've had major issues setting up Windows 95 for my network test environment on new versions of Qemu... It's probably best to install in a lower version, keep the disk either RAW or VMDK, then just move to the newer version. I wound up having to do that to setup my 'test' network where I have 4 windows 95 workstations around the 'world' with some NT servers and a bunch of cisco routers.

It works pretty cool, but given the chance, I'd dump Qemu for PCem, it feels more like having a real (old) pc on the desk!

Reply 603 of 1046, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
neozeed wrote:
ppgrainbow wrote:
Sorry, but I was unable to respond to comments, because the router went kaput and I had to reset to make it work again. […]
Show full quote

Sorry, but I was unable to respond to comments, because the router went kaput and I had to reset to make it work again.

Looking at Neozeed's comment, I believe that it would be good to add multiple configuration files. That way if you want to switch to a different PC configuration (BIOS ROM, Video BIOS ROM, hard disk and memory size), you can simply use a different config file.

So far, on my PC, I have one of the configs backed up as ami386.cfg and the default config is pcem.cfg. If I want to switch the a PC emulating a 386, I would have to make a back up of the current PCem configuration and rename ami386.cfg as pcem.cfg. And quickly jumping from a XT to a 486 and selecting a different configuration can be a bit of a hassle, but it's worth it.

What do you think? 😀

I would agree, as I like having 16MB of ram on the 386 or 486, even the AMI 286, but the IBM AT? Oh no way, it takes FOREVER to boot with more than 640kb of ram. (how did people put up with it back then? I remember using an IBM XT/286, the AT in a XT case, and it took forever to boot with 2MB of ram, so PCem certainly has the emulation done right there!) but yeah having the ability to jump to a 286 with 640kb of ram & EGA and a 386 with the VGA Charger + 8MB , and a 486 with a trident and 16MB of ram would be cool... Just like using different hard disks. Or even separate config sets all together, so I can have say Windows/286 config, and a Windows/386 config...

Or even the ability to specify the config file to use on the command line, and I can just use batch files.....

That sounds like a awesome idea. 😀

There needs to be a way to implement the ability to save and load PCem configurations without having to overwrite the default pcem.cfg file. Until then, I would have to back up the config file attributed to the BIOS ROM type and CMOS configuration that it is saved to. I have the AMI WinBIOS 486 configuration (486DX2 @ 66 MHz, 2 x 1 GB hard disks, 8 MB RAM, Trident 8900 video card) backed up as win486.cfg incase I want to switch configs.

Reply 605 of 1046, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
neozeed wrote:
ppgrainbow wrote:

I've had major issues setting up Windows 95 for my network test environment on new versions of Qemu... It's probably best to install in a lower version, keep the disk either RAW or VMDK, then just move to the newer version. I wound up having to do that to setup my 'test' network where I have 4 windows 95 workstations around the 'world' with some NT servers and a bunch of cisco routers.

It works pretty cool, but given the chance, I'd dump Qemu for PCem, it feels more like having a real (old) pc on the desk!

I agree. I tried to run Windows 95 OSR2 under Qemu 1.x and I feel that it wasn't worth it anymore; infact, I admit that Qemu probably started to go downhill after the release of 0.9.0 back in early 2007. Also, I never got networking to work properly under Bochs 2.6.2 either. I'm still waiting patiently for a Bochs emulator update sometime this year.

Reply 607 of 1046, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
therock247uk wrote:

Dont bother with qemu for running old windows or even running its latest versions on windows its horribly broken.

I agree. Qemu stopped working properly with running old versions of Windows as a guest OS after Qemu 0.9.0. I don't know if plain MS-DOS even works with the latest versions of Qemu anymore due to lack of testing.

Reply 608 of 1046, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
therock247uk wrote:

bochs now has a working slirp on windows. 😀 dont know when they will release it though. i compile my own dev builds

The current version of Bochs that I'm using is v2.62 and the emulator emulates either a NE2000 or E1000 compatible network card. The host OS is Windows Vista and my typical OSes are MS-DOS, Windows 95 and Windows NT 3.51/4.0. I have not tested Windows 2000 Professional under Bochs at this time.

How can I get the Slirp feature working in Bochs on Windows?

Last edited by ppgrainbow on 2014-04-22, 02:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 609 of 1046, by neozeed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
therock247uk wrote:

Dont bother with qemu for running old windows or even running its latest versions on windows its horribly broken.

ever since their move to glib2, it's been a nightmare to compile on win32. I never could get a working win64 executable...

0.15 was as good as it got IMHO, although 0.90 had pretty good ISA emulation, and the x86_64 could actually boot Windows 2003 x64... I doubt Qemu 2 on Linux can even manage that feat. But that's been Qemu's rush to KVM for you... Which is strange, KVM+Qemu can run Novel Netware 3.12, but can't run OS/2 2.0 .... 😕

Reply 610 of 1046, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
neozeed wrote:
therock247uk wrote:

ever since their move to glib2, it's been a nightmare to compile on win32. I never could get a working win64 executable...

0.15 was as good as it got IMHO, although 0.90 had pretty good ISA emulation, and the x86_64 could actually boot Windows 2003 x64... I doubt Qemu 2 on Linux can even manage that feat. But that's been Qemu's rush to KVM for you... Which is strange, KVM+Qemu can run Novel Netware 3.12, but can't run OS/2 2.0 .... 😕

Do you have any idea when developers started moving their compiler to glib2 for future versions of Qemu? Right now I'm installing Windows 95 (original) in Bochs. I don't know if I will eventually get Slirp networking working or not.

Reply 611 of 1046, by neozeed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ppgrainbow wrote:

Do you have any idea when developers started moving their compiler to glib2 for future versions of Qemu? Right now I'm installing Windows 95 (original) in Bochs. I don't know if I will eventually get Slirp networking working or not.

I know Qemu 0.15 needs it... I just remember the great 'fun' building it on OS X, back when I had a G5.

Reply 612 of 1046, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
neozeed wrote:
ppgrainbow wrote:

I know Qemu 0.15 needs it... I just remember the great 'fun' building it on OS X, back when I had a G5.

It was fun to attempt to install and run Windows 95 on the modified version of Qemu 0.15. When I tried to enable Slirp networking by adding this line in my config file:

ne2k: mac=52:54:00:12:34:56, ethmod=slirp, script=C:\Bochs\Win95\network.txt, script=""

Bochs exited with the following error message:

Bochs is exiting with the following message:
[ ] C:\Bochs\Win95\settings.bxrc:76: ethernet module 'slirp' not available

For some reason, I don't think that Bochs even implemented Slirp in this current release of Bochs.

Reply 613 of 1046, by neozeed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just installed windows 95 on qemu 0.15.1 ... naturually it doesn't like the VGA, qemu's cirrus always had issues... I know the WinUAE guy found a bunch of bugs in their implimentation, but the qemu rejected the patches for some reason or another so it'll remain broken.

basically create a VMDK
qemu-img.exe create -f vmdk win95.vmdk 500M

fdisk & do the first phase of install
qemu.exe -L qemu-0.15.1\pc-bios -m 16 -hda win95.vmdk -net nic,model=ne2k_isa -net user -soundhw sb16,adlib,pcspk -cdrom win95\Win95_Mini_Install_Bootable.ISO -boot d

Apply CPU patch
qemu.exe -L qemu-0.15.1\pc-bios -m 16 -hda win95.vmdk -net nic,model=ne2k_isa -net user -soundhw sb16,adlib,pcspk -cdrom win95\fix95CPU.iso -boot d

Then run normally
qemu.exe -L qemu-0.15.1\pc-bios -m 16 -hda win95.vmdk -net nic,model=ne2k_isa -net user -soundhw sb16,adlib,pcspk

I can at least install IE 3, and hit simple pages, and get all the annoying startup noises.

I think later 95 works better, maybe 98 as well but I don't care enough to find out. 😐

Reply 614 of 1046, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
neozeed wrote:
I just installed windows 95 on qemu 0.15.1 ... naturually it doesn't like the VGA, qemu's cirrus always had issues... I know th […]
Show full quote

I just installed windows 95 on qemu 0.15.1 ... naturually it doesn't like the VGA, qemu's cirrus always had issues... I know the WinUAE guy found a bunch of bugs in their implimentation, but the qemu rejected the patches for some reason or another so it'll remain broken.

basically create a VMDK
qemu-img.exe create -f vmdk win95.vmdk 500M

fdisk & do the first phase of install
qemu.exe -L qemu-0.15.1\pc-bios -m 16 -hda win95.vmdk -net nic,model=ne2k_isa -net user -soundhw sb16,adlib,pcspk -cdrom win95\Win95_Mini_Install_Bootable.ISO -boot d

Apply CPU patch
qemu.exe -L qemu-0.15.1\pc-bios -m 16 -hda win95.vmdk -net nic,model=ne2k_isa -net user -soundhw sb16,adlib,pcspk -cdrom win95\fix95CPU.iso -boot d

Then run normally
qemu.exe -L qemu-0.15.1\pc-bios -m 16 -hda win95.vmdk -net nic,model=ne2k_isa -net user -soundhw sb16,adlib,pcspk

I can at least install IE 3, and hit simple pages, and get all the annoying startup noises.

I think later 95 works better, maybe 98 as well but I don't care enough to find out. 😐

Wonderful! I found it much easier to install WIndows 95 under Qemu 0.9.0 using Dave Reynolds's Qemu Manager 5.0.

Now why would the Qemu development team reject the patches in the Cirrus emulated graphics card that affects Windows 95 and other operating systems that have been out of support for years?

Reply 615 of 1046, by SA1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
neozeed wrote:

I have to say that PCem is really awesome! I love how I can quickly jump from an XT, 286,386 and 486. Although I must confess, I spend most of my time either on the 386 or 486. Doom runs phenomenally well under PCem, complete with glitches from the time.

I'm looking forward to when I can run OS/2 though, having to deal with emm386 and friends wasn't fun then or now...

Now if only I could beg for NE2000 support, PCem feels so lonely when you can't network... But wow what a fantastic emulator!

IBM OS/2 1.1, 1.2, 1.21 (MS), 1.3, 1.30.1 now run there.

Reply 617 of 1046, by SA1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
neozeed wrote:
SA1988 wrote:

which is cool, no doubt! ... I'm apparently one of those users that just keeps wanting more and more... 🤣

But IBM OS/2 2.0 (without XR06100) has some reset problem after inserting disk 1 on PCem.

Reply 618 of 1046, by neozeed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SA1988 wrote:
neozeed wrote:
SA1988 wrote:

which is cool, no doubt! ... I'm apparently one of those users that just keeps wanting more and more... 🤣

But IBM OS/2 2.0 (without XR06100) has some reset problem after inserting disk 1 on PCem.

Ah, I should have figured... 2.0 on 'modern' machines with 6100 has all kinds of weird issues... I'll side load it with Qemu and go from there...!