VOGONS

First post, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My newly-acquired Gateway 2000 P4D-66 has a "TURBO" light on the front of the computer, but no Turbo button to switch between 33 and 66mhz.

I'd like to be able to slow down to 33mhz for very old games, but after searching the computer's Phoenix BIOS I don't even see an option there to "de-Turbo" my processor!

Anyone have any experience with these old GW2000 486 desktop machines, to help with my problem?

Reply 3 of 9, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I tried the CTRL+ALT+KP MINUS combo, but didn't have any luck. It looks like I may have to resort to changing mobo jumpers internally (ughh!) if I want to reduce speed.

Or, I did notice in the system's (crappy) Phoenix BIOS that there are options for reducing the "Standby State" processor speed and then eliminating the "wake-up" options so that it might run at the reduced speed until the BIOS settings were changed again.

I haven't tried this last line of thought yet, though, since I want to archive the current (stable) BIOS settings before I start doing changes which can sometimes have "unexpected" results.

Reply 4 of 9, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm having the same troubles with my Commodore PC-50 386SX PC....still banging my head into the wall since I haven't figured out how to change the speed on it either
Damn proprietary motherboards! 😵

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 5 of 9, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
digitaldoofus wrote:

It looks like I may have to resort to changing mobo jumpers internally (ughh!) if I want to reduce speed.

Not necessarily...

There are several utilities that will disable the 486's internal cache (ICD/ICE, 486CACHE, etc.), effectively slowing your system to 386-ish speeds, and allowing for games like Wing Commander and Ultima VII (Part One) to run properly.

Reply 6 of 9, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It looks like I'm having some success by changing the "Standby" cpu speed in my 486's Phoenix BIOS, and then disabling the keyboard and mouse wake-up options.

The BIOS allows for 1/4, 1/8, and 1/16 cpu slow-down in its Standby states, so hopefully this will make very old speed-sensitive games playable. I have already tested it on the old DOS game HEATWAVE and it did indeed slow it down (in fact, to a slideshow level at max slowdown).

Although not as handy as pressing a Turbo button, it provides multiple levels of slowdown -- and it sure beats re-jumpering the mobo!

(If needed for some games, I will also consider using a cache-disabling program as also suggested in this thread.)

Reply 7 of 9, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
digitaldoofus wrote:
It looks like I'm having some success by changing the "Standby" cpu speed in my 486's Phoenix BIOS, and then disabling the keybo […]
Show full quote

It looks like I'm having some success by changing the "Standby" cpu speed in my 486's Phoenix BIOS, and then disabling the keyboard and mouse wake-up options.

The BIOS allows for 1/4, 1/8, and 1/16 cpu slow-down in its Standby states, so hopefully this will make very old speed-sensitive games playable. I have already tested it on the old DOS game HEATWAVE and it did indeed slow it down (in fact, to a slideshow level at max slowdown).

Although not as handy as pressing a Turbo button, it provides multiple levels of slowdown -- and it sure beats re-jumpering the mobo!

(If needed for some games, I will also consider using a cache-disabling program as also suggested in this thread.)

Nice feature you got there....almost the same feature I have on my ECS UM4980 socket 3 motherboard where I can change the slowdown in 16 steps.
It also has a phoenix bios.

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 8 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Amigaz wrote:

Tried pressing CTRL+ALT+KP MINUS all at once?

http://www.oldskool.org/guides/oldonnew/friendlyboxes suggests CTRL+ALT+KP SLASH , though admittedly that's not a Gateway.