VOGONS

Reply 20 of 42, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are these rare? Would it be possible to make one of those? I'm quite handy with a soldering iron!

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

My DOS machine: MS-DOS 6.22, Pentium MMX 200MHz, 64MB RAM, AWE64 Gold, 4GB HD, Philips 19" CRT, 3"1/2 Floppy, CDROM, Parallel ZIP, ThrustMaster FLCS+TQL+Elite.

Reply 21 of 42, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't see why not.

They shouldn't be expensive though. I think mine was 15 or 20 bucks.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 22 of 42, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rug wrote:

Are these rare? Would it be possible to make one of those? I'm quite handy with a soldering iron!

You can find some schematics for a do-it-yourself cable here:

http://www.midi.org/techspecs/electrispec.php

Reply 23 of 42, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
batracio wrote:
rug wrote:

You can find some schematics for a do-it-yourself cable here:

http://www.midi.org/techspecs/electrispec.php

This seems a bit more complicated than what I was expecting. 🙁

In fact, I was hoping for a kind of Y cable, with a DB15 male, to connect to the sound card, and a Din-5 + DB15 female (to connect to the SC-55 and joystick, respectively).

I can't quite understand those 2 schematics in your link...

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

My DOS machine: MS-DOS 6.22, Pentium MMX 200MHz, 64MB RAM, AWE64 Gold, 4GB HD, Philips 19" CRT, 3"1/2 Floppy, CDROM, Parallel ZIP, ThrustMaster FLCS+TQL+Elite.

Reply 24 of 42, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

10 bucks shipped:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Music-Instrument-E … =item2310b8703b

My YouTube channel

Reply 25 of 42, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

That's brilliant!

Thanks, Mau1wurf1977.

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

Reply 26 of 42, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Would it be possible to connect 2 sound cards: one for the SC-55 and the other for the joystick?

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

Reply 27 of 42, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you be more specific please? If you mean the cable I linked, no it's meant to connect 1 joystick + MIDI In and out into a single joystick port (Sound Blaster).

My YouTube channel

Reply 28 of 42, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rug wrote:

This seems a bit more complicated than what I was expecting. 🙁

In fact, I was hoping for a kind of Y cable, with a DB15 male, to connect to the sound card, and a Din-5 + DB15 female (to connect to the SC-55 and joystick, respectively).

I can't quite understand those 2 schematics in your link...

The schematics are not that complicated, it's just that soldering the wires is not enough; you will also need some resistors, diodes, inverters and opto-isolator if you want to build a good quality adapter.

rug wrote:

Would it be possible to connect 2 sound cards: one for the SC-55 and the other for the joystick?

Yes, but most times a single sound card with both joystick and Sound Canvas connected to the same gameport will do the trick. Only if you want to play a game with the joystick and hear the music on the Sound Canvas simultaneously, you would need a second gameport to separate them.

Reply 29 of 42, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
batracio wrote:

Yes, but most times a single sound card with both joystick and Sound Canvas connected to the same gameport will do the trick. Only if you want to play a game with the joystick and hear the music on the Sound Canvas simultaneously, you would need a second gameport to separate them.

That's precisely what I want: play a game, hear its music on the SC-55, and its sound effects on the Soundblaster.

So, if I use a Y cable, I can't do that? I need 2 sound cards, right?

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

Reply 30 of 42, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rug wrote:

That's precisely what I want: play a game, hear its music on the SC-55, and its sound effects on the Soundblaster.

Yes, but if you mean a Sound Blaster 16 or 32, you would need two sound cards anyway. If you try to use both MPU-401 UART and digital sound on the same SB16, the infamous hanging notes bug will probably arise.

Reply 31 of 42, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
batracio wrote:
rug wrote:

Yes, but if you mean a Sound Blaster 16 or 32, you would need two sound cards anyway. If you try to use both MPU-401 UART and digital sound on the same SB16, the infamous hanging notes bug will probably arise.

I have an AWE64. My plan is to use it for sound effects and the SC-55. Then use an ISA I/O card to connect the joystick. What do you think?

Other thing, what's so special about the Yamaha YMF-719?

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

Reply 32 of 42, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
batracio wrote:

Only if you want to play a game with the joystick and hear the music on the Sound Canvas simultaneously, you would need a second gameport to separate them.

Are you sure about that?

I'm 99% sure that you can use your joystick while having MIDI music. That's the whole point of getting this cable.

AWE64 is perfect for the SC-55.

@rug

Just buy that $10 cable and don't overthink the issue 🤣

Reply 33 of 42, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Are you sure about that? […]
Show full quote
batracio wrote:

Only if you want to play a game with the joystick and hear the music on the Sound Canvas simultaneously, you would need a second gameport to separate them.

Are you sure about that?

I'm 99% sure that you can use your joystick while having MIDI music. That's the whole point of getting this cable.

AWE64 is perfect for the SC-55.

@rug

Just buy that $10 cable and don't overthink the issue 🤣

Thanks Mau. That was what I thought but me being a newbie, I like to listen to what others have to say. 😉

Do you think I could try successfully the setup I described above, with the IO card?

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

Reply 35 of 42, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

The potential issue I was talking about is the usage of pin 12 as MIDI OUT and pin 15 as MIDI IN being itself a non-standard implementation of the gameport interface that some standard devices may be unaware of. Those pins were originally intended for grounding buttons 3 and 4 and +5V DC respectively. Nothing prevents a joystick manufacturer from building a device that conforms to the standard gameport specification, and use those pins to handle additional buttons. Are you sure that 99 out of 100 joysticks follow the non-standard implementation with MIDI IN/OUT, instead of the original specification with +5V/GND? Well, I'm not that sure, so I thought it would be useful to warn about this potential issue. More info here:
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/joystick/p … .html#connector
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/joystick/p … #ycableproblems

Last edited by batracio on 2011-06-12, 12:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 37 of 42, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
batracio wrote:
The potential issue I was talking about is the usage of pin 12 as MIDI OUT and pin 15 as MIDI IN being itself a non-standard imp […]
Show full quote
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

The potential issue I was talking about is the usage of pin 12 as MIDI OUT and pin 15 as MIDI IN being itself a non-standard implementation of the gameport interface that some standard devices may be unaware of. Those pins were originally intended for grounding buttons 3 and 4 and +5V DC respectively. Nothing prevents a joystick manufacturer from building a device that conforms to the standard gameport specification, and use those pins to handle additional buttons. Are you sure that 99 out of 100 joysticks follow the non-standard implementation with MIDI IN/OUT, instead of the original specification with +5V/GND? Well, I'm not that sure, so I thought it would be useful to warn about this potential issue. More info here:
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/joystick/p … .html#connector
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/joystick/p … #ycableproblems

In that case, wouldn't the IO Card\Sound Card solution be a good solution?

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

Reply 38 of 42, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would first try a single gameport setup with the AWE64. If that works, it will keep things simple. But since your HOTAS system (Flight Control System + Throttle Quadrant System + rudder pedals) is old stuff with lots of extra features, there are some chances of hitting the MIDI IN/OUT issue when using it along with the Sound Canvas. If so, I would connect the Sound Canvas to the sound card, and the HOTAS system to the I/O card. The former card is guaranteed to have a gameport with MIDI IN/OUT, while the latter card should have a standard gameport with +5V/GND if needed.

I have attached some files for a Thrustmaster FLCS + TQS + Elite DOS setup. You will find more info, drivers, patches and utilities for Windows 9x here: http://www.stickworks.com/

Attachments

• Filename
    tm_flcs.zip
    File size
    838.48 KiB
    Downloads
    164 downloads
    File comment
    ThrustMaster FLCS+TQS+Elite DOS Files
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 39 of 42, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
batracio wrote:

I would first try a single gameport setup with the AWE64. If that works, it will keep things simple. But since your HOTAS system (Flight Control System + Throttle Quadrant System + rudder pedals) is old stuff with lots of extra features, there are some chances of hitting the MIDI IN/OUT issue when using it along with the Sound Canvas. If so, I would connect the Sound Canvas to the sound card, and the HOTAS system to the I/O card. The former card is guaranteed to have a gameport with MIDI IN/OUT, while the latter card should have a standard gameport with +5V/GND if needed.

I have attached some files for a Thrustmaster FLCS + TQS + Elite DOS setup. You will find more info, drivers, patches and utilities for Windows 9x here: http://www.stickworks.com/

That's brilliant! Although I plan to use DOS only, not windows.

Thanks batracio.

Cheers,
Rita Graça.