VOGONS

Dead Gravis Ultrasound?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm having the same issues. If I try to select any IRQ anything it just hangs and doing the memory test it will hang at "determining memory size..." and I even removed all the memory banks, swapped the originals with other ones that I had bought to upgrade it! Set every bios to fail safe, reset the CMOS, left only my video card and sound card and hard drive standing. No EMM386 or TSRs. Nothing! Cleaned the contacts, all this shit.

I'm so pissed off because I've waited 4 years to find one and the I can't do anything to get it working. 🙁

Reply 21 of 23, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a second card which didn't work either. This one was an easier fix though. It is GUS Classic v2.2, I can't find a good picture of the PCB scan but basically there is a stack of resistor legs soldered directly to capacitors near the CD input jack. One of those had slightly broken off when I went over to reinspect the board for any kind of popped caps, etc. A quick 5 minutes with the soldering iron and the board was working again.

Unfortunately, for my v2.4 it appears it will never work. Maybe the capacitors have dried out? Maybe when I'm really bored sometime I could try replacing them all.

Reply 23 of 23, by nobleEightfold

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Apologize for the topic resurrection -

My GUS Max also gets stuck at the detection prompt and will stay there never detecting. I've managed to figure out (out of desperation) that the card will successfully detect if I wiggle it up and down slightly in its slot while it's attempting to detect. After detection, the card works perfectly. Something to try if somebody else comes across this thread with a GUS that gets stuck at the detection prompt.