VOGONS

First post, by sepultribe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey everyone. i had found this old pc case some time ago, it had a pentium mmx , a voodoo1 plus a rendition v2100 and a sb awe32 pnp and i was very happy. but the cpu was giving me problems (random hangups).

i have the impression it's fake. not that it is a true intel pentium mmx, but that is it a 233Mhz model.

what do you think?

Attachments

• Filename
    01052012491.JPG
    File size
    66.41 KiB
    Downloads
    277 downloads
    File comment
    pentium mmx 233
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 13, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting, I put a socket 7 Pentium MMX in my Dell. It's supposed to run at 233MhZ, but due to the motherboard limitations, shows up as only 200 in the bios/Windows. (I could also have set the jumpers wrong, I haven't played around with it recently.) I still have my Pentium 166 chip on my desk- want me to take a look/photo of it for reference?

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 2 of 13, by sepultribe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yes please do.

i found some pics of mmx processors

http://www.cpu-collection.de/?l0=co&l1=Intel& … +MMX#FV80503233

the mmx i have looks closer to the 166mhz edition.

http://www.cpu-collection.de/showimage.php?i= … &s=big&tb=2&r=0

from what i see pink is ceramic and black is plastic. 233mhz is plastic package type, so should be black. also i couldn't find a SL27J cpu with 233 core frequency.

this leads me to believe that this must be a fake 233. must be around 133

Reply 3 of 13, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, SL27J should be a black plastic Pentium MMX 200MHz, I have one here.

I cannot find another Ceramic SL27J on the net so far.
The text on your CPU seems more clean and white then on the ceramic pentiums I have here.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 4 of 13, by sepultribe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerwin wrote:

Yes, SL27J should be a black plastic Pentium MMX 200MHz, I have one here.

I cannot find another Ceramic SL27J on the net so far.
The text on your CPU seems more clean and white then on the ceramic pentiums I have here.

thank you for answering. is your heatsink/fan glued ontop the cpu? i can't get mine off. this doesnt seem like thermal paste....

Attachments

• Filename
    01052012492.JPG
    File size
    63.24 KiB
    Downloads
    194 downloads
    File license

Reply 6 of 13, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried to get some decent shots of mine, pardon the terrible camera:

My old Pentium MMX 166MhZ
100_2049.jpg

100_2047.jpg

I would have taken photos of the 233, but it's currently installed in my Dell and coated with heatsink paste! Hope these help you.

“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi

Reply 7 of 13, by sepultribe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

a plastic mmx 166. ok thanks. i will need to find a way to get the heatsink off, otherwise i won't find out what's the real model of my cpu.

Reply 9 of 13, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried to clean off the die there as best I could. That thermal paste was baked on there since probably around 1995! It's got a passive heatsink.

Reply 10 of 13, by Ahcruna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sepultribe wrote:

a plastic mmx 166. ok thanks. i will need to find a way to get the heatsink off, otherwise i won't find out what's the real model of my cpu.

From the look of that picture it looks like you can remove the fan, or did you try that already? just removing the fan and not the whole heat sink. It kinda resembles a Pentium overdrive heat sink, those things usually had the CPU ID printed just under the fan.

Also I don't recommend trying to remove a heat sink that has been plastered on the CPU, more often then not the ceramic can end up getting a crack. It's a very delicate thing.

[EDIT]

Here is an example image of how an overdrive heat sink looks like under the fan. I'm not saying it will be the same, but it's worth a try before attempting to remove the whole thing 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    PODMMX.jpg
    File size
    548.53 KiB
    Downloads
    193 downloads
    File license

Reply 11 of 13, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sepultribe wrote:

Is the cooler an oem style cooler like what Dell or Compaq would use for example or the stock retail package intel cooler. Small black painted aluminum cooler with integrated fan?

Reply 12 of 13, by sepultribe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ahcruna wrote:
From the look of that picture it looks like you can remove the fan, or did you try that already? just removing the fan and not t […]
Show full quote
sepultribe wrote:

From the look of that picture it looks like you can remove the fan, or did you try that already? just removing the fan and not the whole heat sink. It kinda resembles a Pentium overdrive heat sink, those things usually had the CPU ID printed just under the fan.

Also I don't recommend trying to remove a heat sink that has been plastered on the CPU, more often then not the ceramic can end up getting a crack. It's a very delicate thing.

[EDIT]

Here is an example image of how an overdrive heat sink looks like under the fan. I'm not saying it will be the same, but it's worth a try before attempting to remove the whole thing 😀

i didn't try to remove the fan, thought it was all one piece. i removed it now and took some pics. it says SL27J right there. i also wiped tha bottom of the chip with some acetone and the writing disappeared right away.

nforce4max wrote:

Is the cooler an oem style cooler like what Dell or Compaq would use for example or the stock retail package intel cooler. Small black painted aluminum cooler with integrated fan?

yes it is a black color aluminum one. isn't this a boxed version?

ps: on the heatsink side of the chip on the lower left there is a carved "233" mark but it is next to the carved circle not slightly upwards like this

Attachments

• 06052012500.png
    Filename
    06052012500.png
    File size
    363.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 06052012501.png
    Filename
    06052012501.png
    File size
    303.71 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 13 of 13, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think that we might have one of the legendary remarked samples that people used to purchase then mill down the surfaces so that they can remark the cpu as a different model. There was a rash of these back in the mid 90s when the Pentium 1 still had a high price. You can freeze the cpu in a freezer then try to pull the cooler off with a flat tip screw driver, force it a little at a time then eventually it will pop. The cooler will fall free from the top of the cpu without any harm. Use 90+% rubbing alcohol to remove the old epoxy/glue.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.