VOGONS

First post, by Rhindle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all. Would anyone know of a virtual optical drive compatible with Windows 7 that supports analog audio?

I have a new laptop with no physical drive (running Windows 7 64-bit) where I would like to play a couple of older games. I can actually get them to run perfectly (so I'm past the first challenge), but there is no music while playing.

It seems that neither Daemon Tools nor Alchohol 120% support analog audio anymore. I have the original discs converted to bin/cue images and can see they still have their audio tracks, so that's not the problem.

I suppose if there was an alternative way to convert the audio tracks to ogg files or something and play them that way, that would also work. The games by the way are the MPC version of Battle Chess and the Gold edition of Aliens versus Predator.

Thanks.

Reply 2 of 18, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried looking for a solution too. Unfortunately, the solution involves

1. a copy of WinAMP
2. _inmm.dll (NOTE THE UNDERSCORE)
3. extremely excruciating manual use of both

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 18, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rhindle wrote:

It seems that neither Daemon Tools nor Alchohol 120% support analog audio anymore.

I think something in Windows messed up the whole MCI Audio CD thing - I wasn't able to playback Audio CDs even on my physical drive through the CDPLAYER.EXE since some point after the release of XP SP3. It would show up tracks, but after pushing play they would vanish. I tested a sample MCI app (from the Petzold WinAPI book) and it threw some errors when trying to play Audio CDs.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 4 of 18, by Rhindle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The thing is, I'm certain it can be done somehow. My desktop running Windows 7 64-bit has an older IDE drive installed with an audio cable connected to the onboard sound card. It plays back games using Red Book audio just fine.

So I find it hard to believe it's impossible for a virtual drive to now support analog audio on Windows 7. I've probably tried at least half a dozen different virtual drives at this point with no success. (And as I mentioned in my first post, some used to have it, but newer versions compatible with Windows 7 do not.) I would be even willing to purchase one over all the countless free ones if it actually supported this feature.

Reply 6 of 18, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rhindle wrote:
Hello all. Would anyone know of a virtual optical drive compatible with Windows 7 that supports analog audio? […]
Show full quote

Hello all. Would anyone know of a virtual optical drive compatible with Windows 7 that supports analog audio?

I have a new laptop with no physical drive (running Windows 7 64-bit) where I would like to play a couple of older games
but there is no music while playing.

It seems that neither Daemon Tools nor Alchohol 120% support analog audio anymore. I have the original discs converted to bin/cue images and can see they still have their audio tracks, so that's not the problem.

I suppose if there was an alternative way to convert the audio tracks to ogg files or something.

before you try converting anything
sapucdex.dll was once made by S. Puccini for that
I also made a tweak out of it so it's compatible with windows vista/7 32bit, which sapucdex wasn't anymore
I called that ssdh.dll and .exe and it's based on MCI indeed

have no clue whether they would make it with your games, as I only made it for Tomb Raider I backwards-compatibility
well, sapucdex I'm positive it's bound to be useless on win7 64bit
ssdh, I can't tell.

Last edited by gidierre on 2012-08-08, 14:16. Edited 1 time in total.

We often forgive those who bore us, but we cannot forgive those whom we bore. (La Rochefoucauld)

Reply 7 of 18, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you tried MagicDisk? It supports mixed mode BIN/CUE images and redbook audio. I use it for the only mixed mode CD game I have, Mortal Kombat Trilogy in XP. Haven't had the chance to test under Win 7 yet....

Reply 8 of 18, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gidierre wrote:
before you try converting anything sapucdex.dll was once made by S. Puccini for that I also made a tweak out of it so it's compa […]
Show full quote

before you try converting anything
sapucdex.dll was once made by S. Puccini for that
I also made a tweak out of it so it's compatible with windows vista/7 32bit, which sapucdex wasn't anymore
I called ssdh.dll and .exe and it's based on MCI indeed

have no clue whether they would make it with your games, as I only made it for Tomb Raider I backwards-compatibility
well, sapucdex I'm positive it's bound to be useless on win7 64bit
ssdh, I can't tell.

Could you track that down and upload it sometime if you haven't already? 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 9 of 18, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote:

Could you track that down

sure 😎
reference & links here:
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=142850

same thing really on vogons:
DgVoodoo 1 Discussion Thread
on page 16, post dated 2008-12-23 @ 03:57 am
where in closing I ramble a bit about how I wasn't able to deliver using sdl library calls, while sneaking in mci structures eventually made the trick for me

(btw not to be confused with the other totally different installer thing I made based on dosbox which is at http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=166520)

We often forgive those who bore us, but we cannot forgive those whom we bore. (La Rochefoucauld)

Reply 10 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rhindle wrote:

The thing is, I'm certain it can be done somehow. My desktop running Windows 7 64-bit has an older IDE drive installed with an audio cable connected to the onboard sound card. It plays back games using Red Book audio just fine.

To be sure: these are the same games with audio problems when played via a mounted BIN/CUE image?

I don't suppose it might be a mixer problem (i.e. somehow the relevant volume control is muted) ? That's come up a couple of times. It might also be worth checking the Properties tab in the Properties page for the virtual device in Device Manager.

Reply 11 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some ones I commonly use. (No idea about audio support except Daemon Tools)

MagicDisc
WinCDEmu
Daemon Tools
OSFMount
Virtual CloneDrive
ImDisk

http://www.emuparadise.me/links-and-downloads/Daemon_Tools/Daemon_Tools_(version_3.47)_Analog_Audio/19

"Daemon Tools (version 3.47) this is the last version to include Analog Audio that is still used by some emulators/plugins to enable the use of CDDA tracks"

http://forum.daemon-tools.cc/f14/daemon-tools … og-audio-12421/

Hmmm, yet another good reason for 9x support in DOSBox 😉

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 12 of 18, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gidierre wrote:

sure 😎

Thanks.

Surprised you didn't make it open-source like the original SAPUCDEX (for which I am effectively to blame back in teh day: discovered the need, discovered someone in the emulation community with CD control knowledge, submitted a request for assistance, beta-tested, championed the project. 😀 )

I'm sad people have stopped pushing the envelope of NTVDM extensions... But I guess DOSBox is more reliable these days. (I suppose the next frontier would have been 64-bit support)

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 13 of 18, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Remind me to start buying up IDE-CDROM drives on ebay and hoarding them. I'll share with you guys. I'll be like...the Fred Sanford of CD's! 🤣

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 14 of 18, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:
Some ones I commonly use. (No idea about audio support except Daemon Tools) […]
Show full quote

Some ones I commonly use. (No idea about audio support except Daemon Tools)

MagicDisc
WinCDEmu
Daemon Tools
OSFMount
Virtual CloneDrive
ImDisk

http://www.emuparadise.me/links-and-downloads/Daemon_Tools/Daemon_Tools_(version_3.47)_Analog_Audio/19

"Daemon Tools (version 3.47) this is the last version to include Analog Audio that is still used by some emulators/plugins to enable the use of CDDA tracks"

http://forum.daemon-tools.cc/f14/daemon-tools … og-audio-12421/

Hmmm, yet another good reason for 9x support in DOSBox 😉

I don't think 3.47 will work in 64-bit Vista/7... I tried 3.46 a couple of years ago and it didn't work... and then at that time, 4.x became shareware/spyware ridden, so I switched over to using virtual clone drive.... works fine for me so far 😀

Reply 15 of 18, by Rhindle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Norton Commander wrote:

Have you tried MagicDisk? It supports mixed mode BIN/CUE images and redbook audio. I use it for the only mixed mode CD game I have, Mortal Kombat Trilogy in XP. Haven't had the chance to test under Win 7 yet....

I had tried it, but thought I would give it another shot based on your experience with MKT. It will play the CD audio when I mount it, but nothing plays while in-game. I've searched up and down for some sort of analog audio setting to enable, but see nothing. Wonder if there's a different version for Windows 7 that eliminated this?

Reply 16 of 18, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe MKT is not the best example - I just remembered that I had to apply a patch to MKT just to get CD audio in XP. Unfortunately I don't have any other mixed mode CDs (thank goodness) so I can't test with anything else.

It seems to me if you can get CD audio images to play you should have better luck with any other mixed mode games you have.

Reply 17 of 18, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Daemon Tools 4.x has a bug which breaks mixed mode CD's (even from your physical drives) , if you installed it, it's going to be difficult to fix this.

I use Alcohol 52% free and it works perfectly fine in win 7 x64. I assume Virtual Clone Drive and other work too. The problem is with Daemon Tools.

Reply 18 of 18, by Rhindle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I tried everything suggested, and even some things I read in a few other threads.

RoyBatty - on my desktop running Windows 7 64-bit I have both Daemon Tools and a physical IDE drive with an audio cable plugged into the sound card. I can play Red Book Audio games just fine on that PC, so I've not experienced any bug with DT. However, I have been unable to reproduce CD music using Alcohol 52% Free or any other virtual drive. (The cue images mount just fine, but playing them in-game is a different story.)

Although I could spend more time trying to figure out why my circumstance is so different, I've decided to try a different approach. For example, I can install Windows 3.1 in DOSBox and Battle Chess will play just fine. (Oddly enough, a couple of virtual drives seem to have trouble playing the CD music, causing it to stutter quite a bit. But MagicDisc seems to perform the best in this case. Not sure if it uses less resources so its emulation is smoother in this config or what exactly is the reason.)

I would still be interested in knowing if an actual solution for Red Book Audio emulation exists. (That _inmm.dll suggestion seems to be the kind of thing I'm looking for, although I gave up after multiple attempts of trying to make it work.) But since I'm able to play my games through other means now, I guess technically I've figured out a workaround.