VOGONS

VLB choices

Topic actions

First post, by commodorejohn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I nabbed two VLB VGA cards from the recycle center today, for use with the 486 system I'm putting together. One is this ATI Mach32 card - the sockets labeled "BIOS" and the PLCC socket that I gather is for a faster RAMDAC are unpopulated. The other is a no-name board based on the Cirrus Logic CL-GD5428 chip, which appears from its FCC grantee code to be from Quantum Designs. Both have 1MB RAM; the Quantum Designs card's RAM is faster (50ns vs. 80ns,) but the ATI card is multi-ported.

Ultimately I can just test things out to verify, but I'm wondering if people with more experience with VLB-era video cards can give me some advice on which would be a better pick, and specifically which is likelier to be stable with a 50MHz 486?

Reply 1 of 6, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Cirrus will probably work with pretty much any Dos game - CL542x chips were incredibly common back then as low-middle range designs. It will likely be as fast as you ever need in Dos.

However, the Mach32 will be a better windows accelerator, if you intend to run Windows in addition to Dos.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 2 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember switching from a VLB Cirrus Logic card to a Mach32 back in the day. For some reason the Cirrus Logic card refused to do 800x600 at 56 Hz in Windows, even though it could do 1024x768 at 43 Hz interlaced.

Reply 5 of 6, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can comment on the GD5428, I have 3 of these. None of them are really stable on 50 Mhz FSB. On 33 or 40 Mhz, however, they are decent performers. You can use the Cirrus tweaking utilities (vogonsdrivers is your friend) to optimize / overclock the card. Cannot remember all the settings but I recall my cards can safely go from 48Mhz to 57Mhz with tighter timings. Overall performance gain is between 12-14%. Cirrus cards are very compatible as you can see in the compatibility chart by Gona (VLB or PCI does not matter here)

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 6 of 6, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For ISA/VLB then Mach32/64 were the end of the line or pretty near it for those two buses. They usually had plenty of video memory installed for the time period (2mb or 4mb) so higher resolutions and greater color depths were possible. My ISA Mach64 claims 16.7 million colors but it uses a dithering mode to achieve that as that many colors in 1280x1024 resolution pushes the limits of even 4mb of video memory.

Here's an old thread with pics of my ISA card still in the unopened box.

Holy Grail found!