VOGONS

First post, by commodorejohn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found one of these at the recycle center. I know it's not the best Ensoniq board, but I'm curious to hear it. Does anyone know if it will work in an 8-bit ISA slot, and (more importantly) on an 8086? I'd rather not muck around with my 386 system too much, but I have a Tandy it'd be nice to get a proper sound card in.

Also, is the driver for this on the Vogons driver archive? There's a big ESS collection, but it only refers to them by model number, and that doesn't seem to be printed anywhere on the board.

Reply 1 of 5, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I doubt it will work in an 8-bit slot. But unlike VIVO / MARK5, OPUS cards do not need EMM386.

ESS is not Ensoniq, although I was once confused by that too. You can find the drivers here. Soundscape drivers work on the Soundscape OPUS card. You want the Windows 3.1 pack.
http://www.creative.com/emu/support/downloads/legacy/

There may be a DOS-only zip file around somewhere too. The Win9x drivers separately install a DOS folder and firmware files.

Reply 2 of 5, by commodorejohn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yargh, it refuses to install in a system without the card installed, and I can't find an extractor that can handle that version of InstallShield archives...guess I'll have to stick it in my Win95 box first.

Reply 3 of 5, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found my archive of the DOS driver.

There is a problem though - sndscape.ini is configured for the OTTO/Sequoia cards and the OPUS cards use different IO addresses which I don't know offhand.

This also reminds me that the OPUS card is PNP. This seems unlikely to work in an XT...

Attachments

• Filename
    SNDSCAPE.zip
    File size
    377.7 KiB
    Downloads
    107 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception