VOGONS

First post, by comteck123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. I'm new in this forum and i'm trying to get some help. It seems that I followed this tutorial here: (Guide) How to Install Win98se with 3dfx driver in Dosbox about installing windows 98SE on DOSBox(Yhkwong Build). But some things were wrong:
1. Networking does not work. I know that this is not part of the tutorial above but I would like to get it working. It seems that the SVN-Daum build or as I would like to call the Yhkwong's build of DOSBox has the ne2000 pass through patch by h-a-l-9000. An it requires WinPcap (Which I have installed). Only problem is that it doesn't detect the wireless card the computer I am using. See the image below for Reference:

Filename
NIC.png
File size
497.94 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

2.Voodoo drivers doesn't show in the Device Manager. I don't know why but, I tried re-installing the drivers but I just can't get it to work. And I can't achieve the same thing in the picture in the tutorial. Even if I use glide=emu it still doesn't work. And also the files are still installed. See picture below:

Filename
Voodoo3d.png
File size
257.2 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

3. Windows 98SE IS VERY Unstable before installing 98Lite.

It seems that Microsoft F**ked up Windows 98 by putting the active desktop feature which is really bloated and buggy because of IE and it cannot be removed by default. And also, every once in a while a bunch of errors show up on boot. Especially when I almost finished installing Windows 98, the VM crashed 2 times when searching for PnP hardware. Unfortunately, no pictures since I resolved it by installing 98Lite and removing IE + Outlook express that has an overall size of 42.1 MB.

Can someone please help me?

The Shadow Warrior Mod that makes weapons O.P., plus adds more ammo: My First Shadow Warrior mod.

Reply 1 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't expect much help here since DOSBox does not support Windows 9x as a guest OS.

You should use the Dosbox-X build if you want to try 9x in DOSBox.
DOSBox-X branch

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 10, by comteck123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm actually using SVN-Daum because I want to run old Windows 3D games like GLQuake without running it wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to fast on native windows. Because games like Streets Of SimCity run insanely fast on Modern systems compared to emulated/old systems.

The Shadow Warrior Mod that makes weapons O.P., plus adds more ammo: My First Shadow Warrior mod.

Reply 4 of 10, by comteck123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sammy wrote:

to 2:

In Config of Dosbox set "Glide" to "emu" and not to "true".

Yep. I did the same thing. It didn't work.

Reply 6 of 10, by comteck123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Uh. I think it worked, but Voodoo Graphics 3D Accelerator isn't present in device manager. But I'm gonna test it out with Streets Of SimCity.

Reply 7 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
comteck123 wrote:

I'm actually using SVN-Daum because I want to run old Windows 3D games like GLQuake without running it wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to fast on native windows. Because games like Streets Of SimCity run insanely fast on Modern systems compared to emulated/old systems.

DOSBox is a poor solution to this problem. If you are running games that run under native Windows, you should just get a slowdown program like WinThrottle.

Also, I'm sure one of the bazillion Quake ports out there can surely run under native Windows without any problems.

Reply 9 of 10, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
comteck123 wrote:
Sammy wrote:

to 2:

In Config of Dosbox set "Glide" to "emu" and not to "true".

Yep. I did the same thing. It didn't work.

set

glide=emu

and then install PCI-Bus manually, then it should detect a PCI Multimedia Device and ask for Drivers... thats the way it works under Win95.

BTW why don't you use win95 instead of win98 ?
Win95 is more stable in Dosbox.

Win98Se gives me a lot of crashes...

98SE is good on real hardware but for Dosbox is Win95 better... (For now)

Last edited by Sammy on 2014-08-16, 18:37. Edited 1 time in total.