VOGONS

First post, by sniperhgy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear All,

I'm using the Windows 7 and installed the Qemu Manager 7.0. Now have some questions :
1) Does Qemu support D3D on Windows 98 se ? If do, how could I use this technology.
2) I used Qemu 0.11.1 to install the Windows 98 se, before I install it(in Dos), I can use the cdrom (actually I mounted a ISO in it), after the installation is done, the Windows 98 se can't recognize the cdrom, in Device Manger, there is a yellow exclamation mark on the Secondary IDE controller. How could I resolve this problem?

Best Regards,

sniperhgy

Last edited by sniperhgy on 2015-04-05, 14:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 19, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For me this happens all the time, even with a real machine. Basically, Windows 9x needs the CD in order to install it's own CD drivers. It does not copy the drivers from the boot disk (even when booting from CD,) to the HDD since Windows is designed not to need DOS level CD drivers (MSCDEX etc...) I know, not all that smart IMHO 🙁

What I usually do when performing a fresh Windows 9x install is to copy the WIN98 (or WIN95 maybe,) directory off of the CD-ROM (including all sub-directories,) onto the HDD and installing from that. After the install is finished, you can (if you want,) delete the directory to save some space. I usually leave it on the HDD for simplicity later (don't have to dig out the CD every time you install something new that needs it.) You may have to search the CD for the XCOPY command though, I don't remember specifically if it is natively available from the boot image or not. Otherwise you will end up having to manually create the entire directory structure.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 2 of 19, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

#1 QEMU does not support any form of 3D acceleration D3D/OpenGL on Win98SE. QEMU is severely crippled when run on Windows host.
#2 QEMU 0.11.1 is buggy on primary/secondary ATA/ATAPI master/slave support. Try QEMU-1.6.2 for Win98SE guest. When installing Win98SE on QEMU-1.6.2, use the setup switches to force ACPI mode. I forgot which one this is "/pj or /pi". Google is your friend.

The best experience of using QEMU on Windows is to get used to MinGW/MSYS and build QEMU from source.

DOSBox SVN + Kekko voodoo1 emulation is the only way on earth to get D3D acceleration in Win98 virtual machine, provided your host CPU/GPU is powerful enough to support the emulation.

Reply 3 of 19, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kjliew wrote:

DOSBox SVN + Kekko voodoo1 emulation is the only way on earth to get D3D acceleration in Win98 virtual machine, provided your host CPU/GPU is powerful enough to support the emulation.

In theory Bochs will do it as well, but I think you have to build it yourself, and of course the speed would be even worse.

Reply 4 of 19, by sniperhgy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FeedingDragon wrote:

For me this happens all the time, even with a real machine. Basically, Windows 9x needs the CD in order to install it's own CD drivers. It does not copy the drivers from the boot disk (even when booting from CD,) to the HDD since Windows is designed not to need DOS level CD drivers (MSCDEX etc...) I know, not all that smart IMHO 🙁

What I usually do when performing a fresh Windows 9x install is to copy the WIN98 (or WIN95 maybe,) directory off of the CD-ROM (including all sub-directories,) onto the HDD and installing from that. After the install is finished, you can (if you want,) delete the directory to save some space. I usually leave it on the HDD for simplicity later (don't have to dig out the CD every time you install something new that needs it.) You may have to search the CD for the XCOPY command though, I don't remember specifically if it is natively available from the boot image or not. Otherwise you will end up having to manually create the entire directory structure.

Hi Friend,

Thank you for your suggestion. Actually, I have already copied the Win98 CD into my HDD via using the command "xcopy *.* *.* /e /s", but it doesn't work.

Reply 5 of 19, by sniperhgy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kjliew wrote:
#1 QEMU does not support any form of 3D acceleration D3D/OpenGL on Win98SE. QEMU is severely crippled when run on Windows host. […]
Show full quote

#1 QEMU does not support any form of 3D acceleration D3D/OpenGL on Win98SE. QEMU is severely crippled when run on Windows host.
#2 QEMU 0.11.1 is buggy on primary/secondary ATA/ATAPI master/slave support. Try QEMU-1.6.2 for Win98SE guest. When installing Win98SE on QEMU-1.6.2, use the setup switches to force ACPI mode. I forgot which one this is "/pj or /pi". Google is your friend.

The best experience of using QEMU on Windows is to get used to MinGW/MSYS and build QEMU from source.

Hi Friend,

Thank you for your suggestion. The purpose of installing windows 98 is that I want to run some old games on it, if it can't support the D3D, then the action becomes meaningless.

About DOSBox SVN + Kekko voodoo1 emulation, I also have tried. It doesn't support the cdrom and crash frequently, so I want to take a shot on the Qemu. I have the Inter i7 CPU and Nvidia GTX 760 video card, but this won't help on the emulation of DOSBox SVN.

Reply 6 of 19, by sniperhgy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

In theory Bochs will do it as well, but I think you have to build it yourself, and of course the speed would be even worse.

Hi Friend,

Thank you for your suggestion. The Bochs is a bit complex for me. I think the best way to solve this problem is to install the Windows 98 OS on a old laptop.

Reply 7 of 19, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sniperhgy wrote:

The purpose of installing windows 98 is that I want to run some old games on it, if it can't support the D3D, then the action becomes meaningless.

Is there a specific game you want to run that won't run under XP but requires D3D?

Reply 8 of 19, by sniperhgy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
sniperhgy wrote:

The purpose of installing windows 98 is that I want to run some old games on it, if it can't support the D3D, then the action becomes meaningless.

Is there a specific game you want to run that won't run under XP but requires D3D?

Hi friend,

I want to run capcom's game "Bio Hazard 2", it runs very slowly under XP. So I want to use the Windows 98 to run it.

Reply 9 of 19, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is a very popular game and there is probably an easier fix available than installing Windows 98.

Have a look at http://www.play-old-pc-games.com/2014/09/04/resident-evil-2/ .

Reply 10 of 19, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About DOSBox SVN + Kekko voodoo1 emulation, I also have tried. It doesn't support the cdrom and crash frequently, so I want to take a shot on the Qemu. I have the Inter i7 CPU and Nvidia GTX 760 video card, but this won't help on the emulation of DOSBox SVN.

Find out how to turn your CD-ROM into CUE/BIN image. Google is your friend.
DOSBox SVN + Kekko voodoo1 emulation does not support physical CDROM within Win98 guest, but you can run SW on Win98 that emulates a CD-ROM using ISO/CUE/BIN images. Two complete freeware (I believe) that I had used is MagicDisc and Daemon Tools 3.47. Sorry I am too lazy to provide the link. Please ask Google for help again.

This is how I played games on DOSBox as Win98 virtual machine and also on all my desktop and personal laptops. I personally prefer thin-and-light laptops that don't include DVD-ROM. I don't have physical DVD-ROM on my desktop, too. All I have is a portable USB DVD-ROM which enables me to rip CDROM/DVDROM into CUE/ISO/BIN images.

You system is actually quite modern and powerful. My desktop is a 5-year old Core2 Duo E8400 and Geforce 9400 IGP. On DOSBox that turns out to be similiar to Pentium 200MHz + Voodoo1. I think yours can achieve the performance similar to Pentium II 350Mhz + Voodoo1. If the game you want to play require less than that performance level, then you should be able to play it very comfortably.

Reply 11 of 19, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
------------------------------------------------------------------------ E. SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS (PC ONLY) ---------------------- […]
Show full quote

------------------------------------------------------------------------
E. SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS (PC ONLY)
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to http://www.amazon.com, here are the system requirements for the PC
version of Resident Evil 2.

166 MHz Pentium or 133 MHz Pentium with 3-D accelerated card
Microsoft Windows 95 or 98
24 MB RAM (32 MB recommended)
2x CD-ROM drive
16-bit high color with at least 640 x 480 resolution
DirectX 6.0 compatible drivers for CD-ROM drive

Well, I guess your PC setup is more than enough to run the game perfectly with DOSBox SVN + kekko voodoo1 emulation.

Reply 12 of 19, by sniperhgy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

That is a very popular game and there is probably an easier fix available than installing Windows 98.

Have a look at http://www.play-old-pc-games.com/2014/09/04/resident-evil-2/ .

Sure, thank you very much.

Reply 13 of 19, by sniperhgy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kjliew wrote:
Find out how to turn your CD-ROM into CUE/BIN image. Google is your friend. DOSBox SVN + Kekko voodoo1 emulation does not suppor […]
Show full quote

Find out how to turn your CD-ROM into CUE/BIN image. Google is your friend.
DOSBox SVN + Kekko voodoo1 emulation does not support physical CDROM within Win98 guest, but you can run SW on Win98 that emulates a CD-ROM using ISO/CUE/BIN images. Two complete freeware (I believe) that I had used is MagicDisc and Daemon Tools 3.47. Sorry I am too lazy to provide the link. Please ask Google for help again.

This is how I played games on DOSBox as Win98 virtual machine and also on all my desktop and personal laptops. I personally prefer thin-and-light laptops that don't include DVD-ROM. I don't have physical DVD-ROM on my desktop, too. All I have is a portable USB DVD-ROM which enables me to rip CDROM/DVDROM into CUE/ISO/BIN images.

You system is actually quite modern and powerful. My desktop is a 5-year old Core2 Duo E8400 and Geforce 9400 IGP. On DOSBox that turns out to be similiar to Pentium 200MHz + Voodoo1. I think yours can achieve the performance similar to Pentium II 350Mhz + Voodoo1. If the game you want to play require less than that performance level, then you should be able to play it very comfortably.

Ok, I'll take a shot. By the way, how could you resolve the crash problem? What's version of Windows 98 and DosBOX SVN you are using?
Thank you very much for the direction.

Reply 14 of 19, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BTW i use win95 with DT3.47..

win95 is more stable than win98 in Dosbox.

I use svn Daum 6 may 2013 build, or then Daum Jan 2015 build. then Jan 2014 build has an Error in 3dfx Emulation (for me)

dosbox-x (32 Bit) from march 2015 also worked for me.

With Core 2 Quad 9550 i get the Speed in Dosbox between Pentium 166 and 200 MHz.
Colin McRae Rally 1 runs Most Time very smooth with this Setup.

Reply 15 of 19, by sniperhgy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sammy wrote:
BTW i use win95 with DT3.47.. […]
Show full quote

BTW i use win95 with DT3.47..

win95 is more stable than win98 in Dosbox.

I use svn Daum 6 may 2013 build, or then Daum Jan 2015 build. then Jan 2014 build has an Error in 3dfx Emulation (for me)

dosbox-x (32 Bit) from march 2015 also worked for me.

With Core 2 Quad 9550 i get the Speed in Dosbox between Pentium 166 and 200 MHz.
Colin McRae Rally 1 runs Most Time very smooth with this Setup.

Hi Sammy, Thank you for your information.

I want to confirm something with you :
1) Which version of win95 you are using? Win95 original, osr1, osr2, osr2.1 or osr2.5?
2) Could you please provide the Drivers ?
3) I tried to install the Windows 95 osr 2.1, but after installation, there is no Voodoo card, need I use some parameter after setup.exe ?

Please provider your answers, thank you again.

Reply 16 of 19, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You must set "glide=emu" in Dosbox.conf.

and in win95 then use the Hardware Manager and install Hardware manually.

System Components , then PCI-BUS

then it schould ask for Drivers for a Multimedia Controller.

BTW this is oftopic... better we continue in this Thread Re: 3dfx and DosBox..

Reply 19 of 19, by sniperhgy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sammy wrote:
I use the standard dosbox file. only change this 3 things "output" "voodoo" and "glide" […]
Show full quote

I use the standard dosbox file.
only change this 3 things "output" "voodoo" and "glide"

for better performance i set "memsize" to "63"

all other settings untouched

Sure, got it. Thank you 😄.