VOGONS

Reply 20 of 186, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OK Good, thanks for clearing up the confusion. I will try that sc-55 soundfont 😀

The AWE64 Gold sf2 is a little redundant though. An official SF2 of the AWE32/64 sample rom does exist out there (and not confusing this with the SF2s shipped with drivers)

Wish someone wrote a CQM FM emulator, bad polyphony and all 😜 it would help PCem's support for more AWE cards feel more proper. It's a CQM and DSP effects away from having AWE64 Gold emulated.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 21 of 186, by deemster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Haha yeah, i agree about PCem. I have given the AWE64 Gold soundfont a similar treatment as the others (Programming presets with each their own amounts of reverb, chorus, modulation etc), so it will sound close to a real AWE64 with reverb and chorus on. Just loading up 1mbgm.sf2 in a softsynth doesn't do the AWE64 Gold justice IMO 😁

Reply 22 of 186, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When I first got an AWE32 I cranked up the reverb on the midi controller panel all the way up because I was reverb crazy, and currently AFAIK (don't shoot me mudlord) the Bassmidi synth (the windows driver and the foo_midi component) doesn't have the global reverb/chorus adjustment to achieve the "crazy AWE user effect"

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 23 of 186, by x86++

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
deemster wrote:

...since all good softsynths use the Bassmidi driver (..), there is no need to worry about authenticity.

If your soundfonts are only tested on the software synthesizer bassmidi and not on any other software synthesizers, then it should be documented that these are only compatible with bassmidi and not with fluidsynth or others.

Reply 24 of 186, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OK i've tried the SC-55 one

there's not a lot of high frequencies in there though. Ran it through Grabbag.mid iwth foo_midi, crosschecked it with MusicallyInspired's SC55'd Grabbag.ogg. It does sound close though and it definitely is better than that other one i mentioned earlier. 😀

also why is awe64fm forcing chorus/reverb?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 25 of 186, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
deemster wrote:

The AWE64 Gold actually uses an OPL clone called CQM, but it's close enough

CQM is not a clone, it's an approximation with an emulation. So you have emulation of the emulation. Would be better to create normal OPL3 soundfont.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 26 of 186, by deemster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@x64++: I will change the OP, thank you!
@leileilol: Thanks for the kind answer! About the FM: Well, since an AWE64 can apply effects to the OPL3, and that's kind of unique, i applied that. Since we already have 'normal' OPL3 soundfonts, i wanted to give it that AWE sound.
@Terz: I should have been more clear. My soundfont uses OPL3 samples, not from the CQM. i just meant to say that these samples are close enough.

Reply 27 of 186, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Technically AWE64 can apply effects to the entire sound as all sound is run through its EMU8K IIRC, similar to the later Live!.

I do have a few AWE64 CQM recordings on my hard drive.......... somewhere. I could make new ones but that means i'd have to shuffle heavy computers

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 29 of 186, by lybxlpsv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

nice xg soundfont, even better if bank 0 mapped to lsb0, bank 1-124 mapped to lsb 1-124, bank 125 mapped to msb 64 on bassmidi.

few things though, on some demo xg midi like "Galactic.mid" or "XTORTION.mid" it's missing some effect. but it works fine on AnotherXG.
I've tried sampling the instrument from s-yxg50, then putted it on the soundfont and it's also the same.

maybe it's modulator? well, I still doesn't understand what modulator parameter is or do but apparently anotherxg has it.

Reply 31 of 186, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting! I'm definitely going to give this a shot as soon as I get home. Thanks! 😁

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 32 of 186, by lybxlpsv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

You think you could integrate SYNTHGS.SBK's extra stuff into the AWE64 one? I always used the AWE with that

like this? http://dl.lybxlpsv.com/dropzone/AWE64withGS.sf2

http://dl.lybxlpsv.com/files/dropzone/DB50XG_BASSMIDI.rar if anyone want to try properly mapped DB50XG soundfont. (very crappy source code included)
sf2 bank = msb so, proper mapping is required on the player side. it simply sounds great on xg instrumental xg midis like http://lybxlpsv.com/uploads/atroodeka.mid0.5.ogg.
techno xg midis doesn't work due to lack of modulation maybe?

Reply 33 of 186, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

interesting to see this post now as i was thinking about this just a few weeks ago..
i was wondering why so many retro gamers go nuts over the sound of the mt-32 when its literally just ONE GM Module + theres many many more ..
sound canvas.. CM32L etc etc + theres roland SoundCanvas VST versions that you could do the exact same thing with..
but yes. the GS bank that comes with the drivers for the AWE32 card even... its all just midi notes..

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 34 of 186, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The MT-32 isn't a GM module, at all, It's completely programmable. It combines synthesized waveforms with PCM samples to create its sounds, enabling unique patches to be created. You cannot simulate this with a soundfont, built in samples, etc. Out of everything you mentioned, only the CM-32L can be used as a replacement for the MT-32, and that's because it basically is an MT-32.

The thing was as limited as hell in a number of ways (e.g. 32 note polyphony that was really 32 partial polyphony, and each patch could use up to four partials), but it was a unique mixture of sampling and synthesis that wasn't really available on any other consumer level MIDI device.

Reply 36 of 186, by lybxlpsv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrisNova777 wrote:
interesting to see this post now as i was thinking about this just a few weeks ago.. i was wondering why so many retro gamers g […]
Show full quote

interesting to see this post now as i was thinking about this just a few weeks ago..
i was wondering why so many retro gamers go nuts over the sound of the mt-32 when its literally just ONE GM Module + theres many many more ..
sound canvas.. CM32L etc etc + theres roland SoundCanvas VST versions that you could do the exact same thing with..
but yes. the GS bank that comes with the drivers for the AWE32 card even... its all just midi notes..

yeah, anyways I tried modulation on DB50XG soundfont and I heard some audible noise so I sampled some from s-yxg50 and used some from AnotherXG which already have modulation on some instruments.

then I tried it on 3 xg demo midi, some instruments still have no modulation
http://lybxlpsv.com/uploads/Galactic_test.ogg
http://lybxlpsv.com/uploads/XTORTION.MID.ogg
http://lybxlpsv.com/uploads/Ambient.mid.ogg
http://lybxlpsv.com/uploads/ShellShk.mid.ogg

dunno about GS though, still haven't found roland sc-55 or sc-88 soundfont or samples for msb&lsb banks around.

Reply 37 of 186, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Would it be possible to offer the soundfonts also in 94B and DLS format?
I know SF2 is popular, but in regards to old hardware synths SF2 works on Creative stuff only.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool