VOGONS

Reply 120 of 186, by autoexecdotbat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hahaha, that was quite funny! however I know for damn well that doing a soundfont of that one is litterally impossible, simply because the adult swim guys made that up for a sketch.
also...now I really wanna watch that show. move over college humor!

to win the game you must defeat coppa!
http://chng.it/DNc2L8LvLJ

Reply 121 of 186, by percydw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I know this is an old thread, but I thought it would be interesting perhaps for you guys to see an application of this SoundFont.

I have 0 experience with music stuff and spent all last night trying to reproduce the specific sound of a MIDI that I liked in the past.

I went through about 21 different SoundFonts until I found this page and one of the SoundFonts in the OP was practically the perfect sound to what I used to listen to.

Here is the final file:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt-PmakJT7s

For more details see the youtube info section

Thanks and good luck

Reply 122 of 186, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds lovely!

If you have downloaded all those MIDI files, it would be fantastic if you could ZIP them and attach to your post?

Thanks

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 123 of 186, by percydw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure what you're asking for 😀
The MIDI files are just from searching Google for Chrono Cross MIDIs, they are everywhere.
The SoundFonts are mostly links from the VirtualMIDISynth website or a random page on Google, so nothing special there either.
Here's a screenshot of my folder for reference :3

full info (from my youtube video info): This is the MIDI "another-world-3-" (2.19) from Chrono Cross, processed by CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth with the Yamaha DB50XG SoundFont by deemster (viewtopic.php?...) and recorded from system audio using Audacity. The MIDI file was downloaded from https://www.khinsider.com/midi/ps1/ch... and is not to be confused with other versions that might have a similar name. VirtualMIDISynth equaliser is set to 40% 45% 45% 50% 100% 100% 100% 45% 45%. The background image is a screenshot from Planet Earth 2, brightened up a bit with Befunky online image editor.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    159.51 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 125 of 186, by percydw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

makes more sense when i look at my downloads folder and see how many i have

midi only is attached

mp3 included (~16 covers of the same song) is here (beware ads): https://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/1TDSWZHI/ … _world.7z_links

if you want a full range of midis/mp3s you will be better off browsing google because i wasn't interested in getting the full range

Attachments

Reply 126 of 186, by autoexecdotbat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hay guys, do you think it would be possible to make a soundfont version of teratech topwave32, Cristal wavetable synth, or Ensoniq soundscape s2000?

to win the game you must defeat coppa!
http://chng.it/DNc2L8LvLJ

Reply 127 of 186, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Out of the few soundfont's that I've tried, the SC-55 one by deemster seems to be the best. Here's a comparison between deemster's and Patch93's SC-55 sounfonts with KQ6:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBNX7VWwDig

If it wasn't for that weird sound during the intro with Patch93's soundfont, I might like his better. But for me, that kind of ruins it. Are there any other soundfonts I should try which are very true to the original SC-55?

Reply 128 of 186, by SoundWaveWar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I came across this forum after searching for an accurate soundfont that simulates the Roland SC-55. The deemster SC-55 demos and comparisons on YouTube show that this soundfont is just phenomenal (and very compact)! Unfortunately the links in the OP seem to be dead. Could anyone possibly upload the SC-55 presets soundfont and link to it? Many thanks!

Reply 129 of 186, by Destineer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The SC-55 preset version can be found bundled with gzdoom as gzdoom.sf2 https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/commit/4a … 1610f125bf9c836.

That said, I'm still looking for the other variations, particularly the AWE-64 one. Hopefully someone still has copies of these?

Reply 131 of 186, by SoundWaveWar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Destineer wrote:

The SC-55 preset version can be found bundled with gzdoom as gzdoom.sf2 https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/commit/4a … 1610f125bf9c836.

That said, I'm still looking for the other variations, particularly the AWE-64 one. Hopefully someone still has copies of these?

Thanks, this helps me (and likely other people) a lot!

Reply 132 of 186, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Destineer wrote:

Today is your lucky day. For whatever reason, I downloaded these back when I was playing around with soundfonts more, so here you go:

deemster soundfonts

Now, I have a question. I'm using the most recent version of DOSBox ECE (r4025) with fluidsynth and deemster's sc-55 soundfont, but it sounds quite different as compared to using bassmidi or virtualmidisynth with the same soundfont. I'm assuming this has something to do with differences in default reverb settings, etc.?

If so, it would be of great value if someone who has experience in these things could potentially offer suggestions as to better settings for use with deemster's sc-55 soundfont for a more authentic sc-55 sound. I have compared fluidsynth with deemster sc-55 soundfont to sound canvas VA, and even then it sounds quite different. Though, I'm not even sure where to begin in tweaking settings. Here are all of the default fluidsynth settings from the DOSBox ECE conf file:

fluid.driver=default
fluid.soundfont=
fluid.samplerate=48000
fluid.gain=.6
fluid.polyphony=256
fluid.cores=default
fluid.periods=8
fluid.periodsize=512
fluid.reverb=yes
fluid.chorus=yes
fluid.reverb,roomsize=.61
fluid.reverb.damping=.23
fluid.reverb.width=.76
fluid.reverb.level=.57
fluid.chorus.number=3
fluid.chorus.level=1.2
fluid.chorus.speed=.3
fluid.chorus.depth=8.0
fluid.chorus.type=0

Reply 133 of 186, by Destineer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lukeman3000 wrote:

Today is your lucky day. For whatever reason, I downloaded these back when I was playing around with soundfonts more, so here you go:

deemster soundfonts

Awesome, thanks.

Reply 135 of 186, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
klerg wrote:

None of the links are working, does anyone have a mirror? I'm looking for the AWE64 Gold FM soundfont mostly

Thanks

The two posts immediately before yours have a mirror link.

I also just mirrored them here: https://www.4shared.com/folder/QbfisdMp/soundfonts.html

Reply 136 of 186, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks a lot, deemster. This is fantastic. I was downloading ever larger and larger soundfonts to try to get the best sound and was still not satisfied. All that I really care about is accurate reproduction of MIDI music from games from the late 80s to late 90s, so those huge soundfonts were extreme overkill and still not totally accurate. Your little 3MB SC-55 soundfont sounds better with that old game music than even the 250MB soundfont that I have, and is just what I've been looking for. I think that I'm going to delete the 500MB of soundfonts that I downloaded and just use the SC-55 one, since it's much smaller and better for my needs.

The only thing that I'm slightly disappointed about is that the DX50XG one is, as you noted, meant for GM playback, not XG. I tried it with a few XG MIDs and, as you implicitly warned, they sounded pretty off. That soundfont sounds pretty good with GM, but not really any better than the SC-55, so there's little reason that I can see to use it over that. The S-YXG50 VSTi sounds perfectly with XG MIDs, so I can use that when I get nostalgic for my old DX50XG, but it'd be really nice to have that in soundfont format, so that I don't have to have two different MIDI drivers installed. I don't know if it's possible to convert or port that to a soundfont.

Anyways, again, thanks a lot for the SC-55 soundfont. I wish that I'd found it earlier, before I spent lots of time downloading and testing various other soundfonts. I'm off to delete 500MB of soundfonts that I don't need anymore...

Reply 137 of 186, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just letting people know I am also mirroring these soundfonts, as well as the basic Creative soundfonts, and DLS conversions of all of them, on Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3pky7sslJU … dzRISW5lMlFDcmM

Now you can (hopefully) enjoy these SFs on Aureal cards as well.

EDIT: I've had the chance to look at all three soundfonts.. and all three of them seem to have serious balance issues when used with BASSMIDI and FluidSynth as far as I can tell. The bass patches are out of whack and clip, and some keyboards are also very loud. I happen to have similar sized and better balance SF2 patches for all three, and am also hosting them (as well as their DLS conversions) in the link above if anyone wants to try. I did not make any of these SF2s.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 138 of 186, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the links, appiah4. I think that I prefer deemster's SCC-55 soundfont to the re-balanced one, though. With the re-balanced one, I did notice a few instruments that had better volume than deemster's, but I also noticed a few instruments that had worse, so they come out about even there to my ears. The biggest difference between the two is that the re-balanced one has a lot less bass/reverb, which is maybe what you referred to as being out of whack, but I kind of like it. The re-balanced one has too little of it, IMO, and sounds a little flat. An ideal setting might be something halfway between the two, but, in the absence of that, I think that I prefer a little too much to too little. Others may hate that sort of thing, though, and prefer the re-balanced one. It's nice to have the choice.

Reply 139 of 186, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, from what I can tell, a real SC-55 does not sound so loud on bass as deemster's SF2 does - but I do not have an SC-55 so I can not confirm this. You can however download Doom's official soundtrack (recorded as playback on a real SC-55 AFAIK) and check to see which one is a more faithful adaptation at the end of the day. At the end of the day music is a matter of taste and what you like best works best for you, so of course by all means use what you feel is best. Enjoy!

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.