VOGONS

First post, by Lizzaroro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post in or the wrong wording, but I need some advice with this one midi related problem I'm having.

Basically, I use the emulated Doom opl3 midi device on my PC and that seems to mostly work so far. Programs like Media player and older games use it with no problem. But for whatever reason, many other games and programs I have that use general midi for music will default to Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, even though I've set the midi device to Doom opl3 through a switcher program, DOSbox and even editing the registry.

I've tried searching Google for answers, but I couldn't find anything (unless I missed something). So I'm just wondering, Is there a fix for this? Or is that impossible?

I'm using a Windows 7 64-bit by the way.

I hope I'm making sense.

Reply 1 of 4, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just for the sake of troubleshooting, do you use Putzlowitsch's Vista MIDI mapper?

http://sierrahelp.com/Utilities/SoundUtilitie … IDI_Mapper.html

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 4 of 4, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's possible to hide the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth if you go into the drivers32 registry key and delete the midi0 key that points to "wdmaud.drv" or something to that effect.

I've done this before so that midi0 is set to bassmididrv.dll and nothing else comes before or after it, the result should be Microsoft Synthesizer disappears from MIDI selection with WinMM programs, but it does not unload the actual thing itself from the system, it just hides it from being selected.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων