VOGONS

First post, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Once designating a select amount of RAM to Virtual Box once closed all of that RAM will be reallocated to my host OS, right? Where do I go to confirm all RAM is properly available for use again on my main OS upon closing Virtual Box?

Reply 1 of 13, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

its.. automatic. its not like you run virtualbox and its a black hole that just eats memory. when you close an app the os relcaims the app memory.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 2 of 13, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BloodyCactus wrote:

its.. automatic. its not like you run virtualbox and its a black hole that just eats memory. when you close an app the os relcaims the app memory.

I've heard of sometimes having to manually designate it back with a Mac because it didn't automatically like it was suppose to.. so maybe this is just a Mac issue.

Reply 5 of 13, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
IMeganElisabeth wrote:

I've heard of sometimes having to manually designate it back with a Mac because it didn't automatically like it was suppose to.. so maybe this is just a Mac issue.

OS X should reclaim RAM as the associated processes are killed and reaped. Not doing so would constitute a fundamental bug in the operating system.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 13, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:
IMeganElisabeth wrote:

OS X should reclaim RAM as the associated processes are killed and reaped. Not doing so would constitute a fundamental bug in the operating system.

Thank you. In order to check if it is would I go to usage or something?

Reply 8 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It's automatic and there is no way to check as the process using the RAM is no longer running. Modern OS do not have problems with this. Don't worry until you actually run into problems.
If you really worry, ask in the forums of VirtalBox.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 13, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

It's automatic and there is no way to check as the process using the RAM is no longer running. Modern OS do not have problems with this. Don't worry until you actually run into problems.
If you really worry, ask in the forums of VirtalBox.

Ah gotcha thanks so much.

Reply 12 of 13, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the VBox process is still around, there will still be memory allocated to it. You'll be able to see that in your choice of process viewer. It's the job of the memory management subsystem to reclaim memory from the process as it's relinquished which includes the process being killed and torn down. This is a highly stable and reliable function in modern operating systems. As you can imagine, a kernel memory leak would be very bad news, so it has to be properly written and heavily tested.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 13 of 13, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

If the VBox process is still around, there will still be memory allocated to it. You'll be able to see that in your choice of process viewer. It's the job of the memory management subsystem to reclaim memory from the process as it's relinquished which includes the process being killed and torn down. This is a highly stable and reliable function in modern operating systems. As you can imagine, a kernel memory leak would be very bad news, so it has to be properly written and heavily tested.

Thank you so very very much for explaining this in depth to me.