VOGONS

Winevdm

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 100, by crazyc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote:

Edit: It just can't run Darkseed 2. The installer takes forever and crashes when it reaches 100% and the game itself also crashes right at startup.

You have to run the game from the install directory not from the start menu (at least for now) for it to start. It will then crash after the start screen which will be fixed if/when this, https://github.com/otya128/winevdm/pull/206, pull request is accepted. Some of the movies won't play unless the video for windows indeo 3.2 codec is installed (the game comes with it but winevdm doesn't support 16bit video codec, you'd need the 32bit version).

Reply 41 of 100, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you all very much. It seems to be the only game that's not working so far (it already wasn't working properly on plain Win7 32 bits). The latest release even fixed a minor issue with Nitemare 3D not showing the start screen if running on 8-bit screen mode.

Reply 42 of 100, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've posted on Github an Inno Setup script that installs Winevdm automatically. Here's a compiled installer:

EDIT: See a later message.

You can see the script in an issue post on the winevdm Github site. The installer seems to work, but of course use it at your own risk.

Last edited by emendelson on 2019-12-21, 16:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 43 of 100, by abandoSoftware

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is anyone working on this project in this Forum? I would like to report the errors so that errors can be repaired in the future.

This error appears to me, both in games and in programs. Especially in Photoshop 2.5.1.

I imagine it could be something Related to the Visual part.

Falla-Vga2.jpg

reporting bug
Report1.jpg

Second Bug Report. the IBM Lotus R3.0 installer gives problems, impossible to install.

LotErr1.jpg

Reporting a third bug . impossible to start the Harvard Graphics 3.0

HarrErr1.jpg

Fourth report, several bugs.

Err4.jpg

Err3.jpg

Err2.jpg

Reply 45 of 100, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
abandoSoftware wrote:

Is anyone working on this project in this Forum?

Most likely not.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 46 of 100, by abandoSoftware

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:
abandoSoftware wrote:

Most likely not.

collector wrote:
abandoSoftware wrote:

Most likely not.

Okay, thanks, I'll leave this last report here, I'll go to Github

Err5.jpg

Reply 47 of 100, by muteKi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone been able to get stuff working through this that requires quicktime libraries to be installed? I have a few old games that work like that -- the old ImageSoft Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy games in particular are ones I've tried to install and failed.

Reply 51 of 100, by Doomn00b

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How does WineVDM hold up when compared to Boxed Wine? I was really excited for bxw but after finally testing it last night, I was sorely disappointed in its userfriendliness. Is WineVDM easier to use? Windows shell and context-menu integration would be the dream!

Just rightclick and chose "run with WineVDM"...

Reply 52 of 100, by danoon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doomn00b wrote:

How does WineVDM hold up when compared to Boxed Wine? I was really excited for bxw but after finally testing it last night, I was sorely disappointed in its userfriendliness. Is WineVDM easier to use? Windows shell and context-menu integration would be the dream!

Yeah, I agree, Boxedwine definitely needs a front end

http://www.boxedwine.org/

Reply 53 of 100, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doomn00b wrote:

In fact it's easier than that. It replaces Win64 message of unsupported Win16 .exes with its VDM, so they run directly by double clicking them. It's all done through an included .reg file.

Reply 55 of 100, by crazyc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I pushed a fix for that. Comparing the music to Dosbox shows it to be mostly correct (it's SOUND.DRV audio which for the most part only supported the pc speaker so it's not great to begin with) but with a few wrong notes.

Reply 56 of 100, by NoNameNeeded

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is it still possible to get a ready-to-use pre-release version?

They were available here but it's been a long time since I last saw a new version there...

https://ci.appveyor.com/project/otya128/winev … build/artifacts