VOGONS

First post, by Banjo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For the sake of nostalgia (it was my second computer ever), I'm really wanting to emulate an Amstrad PC5286 (1mb memory, 3.5" floppy, 40mb HDD, AdLib card).

Using PCEm, I'm having an absolute blast emulating an old Amstrad PC1512 (my first computer!) but that emulator seems only able to recreate Amstrad's XTs (PC1512, PC1640) and early ATs (PC2086, PC5086, etc.) and not their later 286 models (PC2286, PC5286, etc.). The Amstrad MegaPC (386) is also emulated, but not the machines in between.

Could this be due to missing bios systems (i.e. nobody has dumped a PC5286, etc.) or just lack of interest in such machines? Maybe both?

I'd *almost* be content with using a "generic" 286 but I can't seem to get those to properly use 1mb of memory (bios errors/complaints).

I will post on the PCEm boards to ask about this too, but was wondering if VOGONS folks have any ideas if this is possible with other emulators or "tricks"? I've spent the past few days imaging my old Amstrad system disks and although they somewhat work in PCEm and DOSBox, I'd love to use them on a properly emulated PC5286 like they were designed for.

Reply 1 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, my father's first IBM PC was also a PC-1512 (Schneider brand). It was the "European Tandy 1000", so to say. Very popular for a while. 😀
I'm really looking forward to PC5286 emulation, you can't have too many 286es supported. 😉
If I had to guess, I say the authors of PCem and 86box probably have no access to or documentation of PC5286 hardware yet.
Which in turn means they have likely no dumps of the system BIOS, either.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 5, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did a quick look around:
- Doesn't seem to be dumped and in MAME.
- Checking informally, doesn't seem to be offline archived by any MAMEdev.
- It exists in the old and outdated "Dumps Needed by Major Manufacturer (MESS)" list: http://mess.redump.net/dumping/wanted#amstrad_dumps_needed

I'd guess the major reason why it's not in MAME is "not dumped yet". Someone needs to collect it and dump it for that to start to happen.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 3 of 5, by Banjo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stiletto wrote on 2018-09-12, 01:14:
Did a quick look around: - Doesn't seem to be dumped and in MAME. - Checking informally, doesn't seem to be offline archived by […]
Show full quote

Did a quick look around:
- It exists in the old and outdated "Dumps Needed by Major Manufacturer (MESS)" list: http://mess.redump.net/dumping/wanted#amstrad_dumps_needed

I'd guess the major reason why it's not in MAME is "not dumped yet". Someone needs to collect it and dump it for that to start to happen.

Thanks to a very kind friend, I finally have the dumped BIOS for the PC5286 (main bios and VGA bios files).

Who do I talk to or send them to in order to get the ball rolling on possible emulation?

EDIT: I hope to have the PC7486SLC33 BIOS soon too. 😀

Reply 4 of 5, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Banjo wrote on 2021-03-18, 08:31:
Thanks to a very kind friend, I finally have the dumped BIOS for the PC5286 (main bios and VGA bios files). […]
Show full quote
Did a quick look around: - Doesn't seem to be dumped and in MAME. - Checking informally, doesn't seem to be offline archived by […]
Show full quote

Did a quick look around:

Thanks to a very kind friend, I finally have the dumped BIOS for the PC5286 (main bios and VGA bios files).

Who do I talk to or send them to in order to get the ball rolling on possible emulation?

See this: https://wiki.mamedev.org/index.php/Submitting_Source_Code
It sounds unrelated, but it's not. (TL;DR: there's an email address you should use.)
And maybe also this: https://wiki.mamedev.org/index.php/Contributing_to_MAME

(as we are trying to get away from the "middle man" era...)

... though I expect "crazyc" may also simply reach out, he tends to be behind or touch all the PC emulation in MAME and he regularly lurks on VOGONS 😉

But folks like SarahWalker may be interested on behalf of PCem too. 😉

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 5, by caver99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Banjo wrote on 2021-03-18, 08:31:
Thanks to a very kind friend, I finally have the dumped BIOS for the PC5286 (main bios and VGA bios files). […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Did a quick look around:

i know this is an old thread but do you still have a copy of the bios files?