VOGONS

First post, by lordskylark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I need one of these for MT-32 and one for SC-55:
Does someone have a .mid file containg all the appropriate messages to reset the device to 100% default settings, including default panning, instruments, volume levels, etc?

Thanks,
Andrew

Reply 1 of 17, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Run this with any MIDI playback tool.

Attachments

• Filename
    reset.zip
    File size
    367 Bytes
    Downloads
    189 downloads
    File comment
    Reset SYSEX
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here you go, dedicated reset SysEx files for LA (mt32/cm32l and similar) , GS, GM and XG devices. Just run the .bat you want

https://www.mediafire.com/file/7byybmo927c1xb … resets.zip/file

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ why? what are you trying to do? you can ofcourse add these sysex messages to midi files

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 17, by lordskylark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to record 7 hours worth of midi (I don't want to sit there for 7 hours to reset each time - in fact, I need to do it 9 times, because I want each channel recorded independently primarily to avoid all polysnyth problems - according to munt, some songs have 100 partials even though they are MT-32 songs, and no MT-32 can play it correctly as a whole), but the program itself needs that information in the midi itself. And each midi needs a full reset beforehand, because some midis use set pan, volume, etc. but others use default MT-32 panning, etc, so it's needs to be reset before each midi otherwise the program keeps using the pan and volume, etc. settings from the previous midi.

Can someone provide a midi file with all the commands necessary for the MT-32 to have a complete reset. And then one for SC-55? Then I can drop it between every single midi.

Reply 8 of 17, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lordskylark wrote:

When I run that, it doesn't reset the MT-32 to default panning and default instrument settings (and probably more). Is there something that does that?

My bad, I didn't read your message as closely as I should have. The MIDI file I provided stops all playback but doesn't reset the device configuration. So, LA devices will still have custom instruments loaded and all devices will preserve custom effects settings.

Why not do something like this?
DOSMID %MIDIDIR%\file1.mid
GM-RESET
DOSMID %MIDIDIR%\file2.mid
LA-RESET

Put it all in a batch file.

Reply 9 of 17, by lordskylark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I need to use the DAW in order to make sure that all the channels are lined-up 100% when recording. Otherwise, doing something like that, I would have to manually keep lining up 9 channels (probably not always precise enough) and the time would be far too consuming I think.

Reply 10 of 17, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you insert SYSEX codes in your DAW? The necessary parameters are documented in various places, for example:
http://www.youngmonkey.ca/nose/audio_tech/syn … oland-MT32.html

Reply 11 of 17, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here are 2 mid files that do the MT-32/GS reset for you. Both contain 200ms delay after the reset.

Filename
GS_MT32_Reset.zip
File size
325 Bytes
Downloads
170 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 12 of 17, by lordskylark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:

Here are 2 mid files that do the MT-32/GS reset for you. Both contain 200ms delay after the reset.

GS_MT32_Reset.zip

Thank you very much for your time involved in this.
Am I supposed to use both for both soundcards, or is the MT-32 to use the MT-32 one ONLY and the SC-55 to use the GS ONLY?

Thanks,
Andrew

Reply 13 of 17, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lordskylark wrote:
Thank you very much for your time involved in this. Am I supposed to use both for both soundcards, or is the MT-32 to use the MT […]
Show full quote

Am I supposed to use both for both soundcards, or is the MT-32 to use the MT-32 one ONLY and the SC-55 to use the GS ONLY?
Thanks,
Andrew

MT-32 reset is only for MT-32 and GS reset is only for your SC-55.

Reply 14 of 17, by lordskylark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:
lordskylark wrote:
Thank you very much for your time involved in this. Am I supposed to use both for both soundcards, or is the MT-32 to use the MT […]
Show full quote

Thanks,
Andrew

MT-32 reset is only for MT-32 and GS reset is only for your SC-55.

Thanks, I will hopefully get a chance to try it out this week and see how it works.

Is there something specific in the manual that gives 100% detail of what is reset in a system reset?
For example in the manual, I see a list of default instruments, their panning, their volume, etc. Is there anything else?

Reply 15 of 17, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there something specific in the manual that gives 100% detail of what is reset in a system reset?

Usually no such detailed lists exist in manuals maybe because a 'Reset' resets everything (that has a default value).

For example in the manual, I see a list of default instruments, their panning, their volume, etc. Is there anything else?

Yes, there are many more.
E.g.
1. All notes/sounds set to off.
2. Master volume, balance, tuning etc. are set to default.
3. All effects/effect parameters are set to default (e.g. Reverb presets such as Room, Hall etc.)
4. All Common Controllers are set to default values on all channels(Modulation, Volume, Pan, Expression, Sustain, Reverb, Chorus etc.)
5. All Pitch Bend ranges are set to default semitones on all channels.
6. All NRPN's are set to default on all channels.
7. All Banks/Instruments are set to default on all channels.
8. Other things I do not recall just now 😀

The more features a synth supports, the more are set to default by a reset.

Reply 16 of 17, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote on 2018-11-29, 22:13:

Here you go, dedicated reset SysEx files for LA (mt32/cm32l and similar) , GS, GM and XG devices. Just run the .bat you want

https://www.mediafire.com/file/7byybmo927c1xb … resets.zip/file

Is there a 32-bit version of this DUMP.EXE which can run on Windows?

Reply 17 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-01-17, 01:37:

Is there a 32-bit version of this DUMP.EXE which can run on Windows?

Surely there is some windows tool as well - I just don't know about it , tbh I only "care" about the DOS side of things when it comes to midi , mpus, soundcards etc
Pretty sure someone will suggest a tool 😀