VOGONS

First post, by jspyder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using VirtualBox running DOS 6.22 and have been trying to get a *working* configuration for Dungeon Keeper. Everything so far works fine, except for the sound - I can run the SetSound utility and it will recognize the sound card as a SoundBlaster 16, but after getting into the game and playing for less than about 15 seconds, the sound cuts out.

I suspect it's a matter of putting the correct Set Blaster configuration in the autoexec.bat, but I'm a rank novice at doing such things - can anyone help me?

Reply 3 of 4, by galland101

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jspyder wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong (I've used DOSBox before), but I'd still need to have the configuration entered in the autoexec.bat, wouldn't I?

DOSBox's sound settings would have to be configured in the dosbox.conf file. You need to define the type of sound card and resources (Address, IRQ, DMA, etc.). You then have to configure Dungeon Keeper through its sound setup program to point to those resources.

Reply 4 of 4, by mcj

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jspyder wrote:

I'm using VirtualBox running DOS 6.22

Therein lies the problem. When installing operating systems on VirtualBox, DOS itself does not come with SoundBlaster drivers included (unlike DOSBox).

In your Virtual Machine settings, if SoundBlaster 16 emulation is selected, you will have to install the appropriate SB16 drivers that accompany your 'emulated' sound card.

This way, the correct arguments are set during boot in your AUTOEXEC.BAT and IRQ, DMA, and other settings can be detected properly by games and software.

#win31 forever!