VOGONS

First post, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How does Windows 95 detect a ATAPI drive? UniPCemu has them on the secondary ATA controller(both master and slave) when a hard disk is used(otherwise, they're at the primary controller instead).

For some reason, the Windows 95 This PC and other windows don't display the CD-ROM drives, nor does it show up in the device manager?
Is there some weird type of detection happening with Windows 9x and CD-ROM drives? How does it detect them at all(including HDD drives?)?

Edit: Just changed the read-only aspect of the ATAPI controllers. Now, all registers(sector count, sector number, cylinder low, cylinder high) are writable, even when the drive is reporting not ready(due to ATAPI specs). The Features and Command registers were already writable(unchanged).

Now to see what Windows 95 does with those...
Edit: First try, protection error during booting...
Edit: Safe mode still works...

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io

Reply 1 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No idea, sorry. At the time we used Win95 in the family, none of the PCs had got ATAPI devices installed.
While my papa's 386DX40 had got an Mitsumi LU005S with a proprietary ISA card (Win95 relied on its DOS drivers),
I had got a SCSI CD-ROM drive connected to a Pro Audio Spectrum 16 sound card.
On OS/2, I hadn't used an ATAPI CD-ROM drive before Warp 4.x.
Warp 3 had got drivers on-board for popuplar Sony/Mitsumi/Philips and various SCSi controllers,
which was good enough for us. Still makes me wonder why emulators writers aim for ATAPI support at all,
if all major OSes of the past supported better alternatives, anyway. 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 5, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've improved reset behaviour for ATAPI devices to make it stop being ready for all kinds of reset(including RESET DEVICE command and SRST).

During boot, I see (for both ATAPI devices):
1. RESET DEVICE
2. ATAPI Inquiry command
3. RESET DEVICE

Directly after the second drive(the secondary slave), I see Windows 95 throwing the protection error(the please reinstall windows message on black background on the top row of the 80x25 text mode).

Perhaps a driver issue? Previously it wasn't seeing the drives or executing ATAPI commands at all(due to the registers being read-only with reset values).

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 3 of 5, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm.... Weird... When Windows 95 issues an Inquiry command to the CD-ROM drives, it doesn't seem to receive the IRQ(due to the mask register or interrupt flag disabling it?), and while the hardware raises the IRQ to make the OS read it's Inquiry data from the data port, it executes an DEVICE RESET command(the IRQ still not acnowledged by the PIC)? That reset command clears the IRQ line back to low state, thus clearing the request from ever happening?

Edit: Hmmm.... When the hardware raises it's IRQ, the PIC becomes ready to handle said interrupt. But the 0x08 RESET DEVICE command happens before it has the chance to tell the CPU because the interrupts are seemingly disabled during that period?

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 4 of 5, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looking into it some more(besides improving the detection of the PIC OCW2/OCW3 commands being written according to the 8259A documentation), I see that the interrupts are properly enabled in the interrupt mask register, the interrupt(after it's started to process) is correctly raised, the PIC is ready to handle the interrupt, but the interrupt flag doesn't become set again to actually handle the interrupt, resulting in the driver executing the DEVICE RESET command before the PIC has the chance to raise an interrupt for the Inquiry result?

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 5 of 5, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmmm... Just found something when looking at the ATA/ATAPI-4 documentation, chapter 9.11.

Apparently ATAPI doesn't raise an IRQ but sets the interrupt reason register for the command when it's ready? UniPCemu currently still raises an IRQ at that point. Perhaps that's the issue?

Edit: After fixing that, I see it executing other ATAPI commands(Request Sense and Test Unit Ready), properly booting up! 😁

UniPCemu Git repository