VOGONS

Reply 120 of 242, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
digger wrote on 2020-09-27, 09:54:

As fun and cool as all these approaches are, particularly kjliew's passthrough solution, it does make me wonder if most of these older games don't already run flawlessly under Wine these days. Even if you're not running Linux as your host system, you could run Wine in a 3D-accelerated Linux guest VM and play most of those games in there, right? Even Glide wappers could work inside such a solution. It would also save you from having to install an older Windows version.

Or am I mistaken in the number of older Windows games that work flawlessly on Wine these days?

You are absolutely correct a vast majority of these games do run fine with vanilla wine with either nglide or dgvoodoo. Much easier

Reply 121 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

except I do not want to run wine or any glide stuff. I want to make VMs not only for games but for the fun and nostalgia

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 122 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/11/27/develope … -windows-on-m1/

This news is exactly what I was expecting to be what I needed to be convinced that the M1 Macs are superb and I will be getting one or waiting for an optimized M2 in 2021. This will be huge for my VMs personal projects, fun and nostalgia.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 123 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a new job for 2021, so I am going to set up a Linux Mint virtual machine for the sole purpose of running a local development web server.

Just FYI, this is the OS they use there, so I thought why not try it, just to get used to how they do it? Although they allow me to do it on macOS without problems, I wanted to separate my macOS personal stuff from work stuff, and also there is the benefit for macOS not to have a webserver running all the time, and the benefit for when I get a new Mac in the future, so I don't have to set it up all over again for work related stuff.

I've got most stuff running out of the box and others easily, except one thing. Is there any guide on the internet about how to set up dnsmasq to have local domains like sitename.test and sitename.xip.io ? I have one but it's for macOS and its what I use with my macOS local development web server with success. I wanted a similar one for Linux.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just got it working... well, half of it. I just still need sitename.<machine ip>.xip.io, just like how it works on my mac.

EDIT 2: configuring a web server is way faster on Macs.

EDIT 3: After a full day of struggles, I finally managed to get it working similar to my mac setup. Good.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 124 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm now trying to run Counter Strike 1.6 (the old non-steam version) on Windows 98SE QEMU VM, but so far no luck. I'm getting an error about a certain filesystem.dll I don't know why.

I've got it working on Windows XP VMware VM, but it's not of my interest to develop further my VMware x86 VMs until VMware makes clear their path for VMware Fusion on M1 Macs, so I am focusing more on QEMU VMs until I get a M1 Mac.

EDIT: Turns out CS16 only runs on XP+ ? Strange, I could remember I played HL with CS mod on Win98 21 years ago.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 125 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had a first time experience with Docker today to set up a Magento 2 Development Environment for my new job. Have to say, was not a painless job but I got there.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 126 of 242, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bruninho wrote on 2020-12-15, 01:01:

I'm now trying to run Counter Strike 1.6 (the old non-steam version) on Windows 98SE QEMU VM, but so far no luck. I'm getting an error about a certain filesystem.dll I don't know why.

I've got it working on Windows XP VMware VM, but it's not of my interest to develop further my VMware x86 VMs until VMware makes clear their path for VMware Fusion on M1 Macs, so I am focusing more on QEMU VMs until I get a M1 Mac.

EDIT: Turns out CS16 only runs on XP+ ? Strange, I could remember I played HL with CS mod on Win98 21 years ago.

Must be very hard to look up the system requirements for software to run....

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 127 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-12-17, 05:34:

Must be very hard to look up the system requirements for software to run....

No need for such sarcasm here, mate...

Well, everywhere I looked around, said it could run under Windows 98, so I tried it. Then after not having luck, I asked my old friends who also played it with me in the past, and we figured out that it was the 1.5 not 1.6 that ran under w98 when we played it.

I managed to run 1.5, but with QEMU it runs with software mode graphics and shows absolutely nothing on screen and crashes. So I left the 1.6 on vmware xp machine running well for a while. I think that in the future I will just go with the CS:GO version for macs if I want to shoot someone 😀

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 128 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With the news of a Parallels Preview Program releasing Parallels Desktop 16 for M1 Macs, which will be able to run ARM based operating systems, including Windows 10 ARM version, it’s a matter of time for VMware to come up with an version of VMware Fusion Player for M1 Macs to run Win 10 ARM on M1 Macs.

This is some kind of relief for me and given how powerful the M1 Macs are, I can run a few old x64 games through their newly released emulator for x64 apps like Grand Prix 4. I do not care about new apps or games. I will continue using QEMU solution for older games that do not need D3D or 3D acceleration. I’m happy now 😀

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 129 of 242, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

3D games have been around since well at least MS Windows 3.1 on x86 systems. Is you r setup not good enough to run them?

Reply 130 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been busy studying a bit of Magento Frontend Development these days, so not much retro computing stuff done. Hopefully I can do some soon after the first days on my new job next week.

Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-12-18, 00:18:

3D games have been around since well at least MS Windows 3.1 on x86 systems. Is you r setup not good enough to run them?

The setup has no problems.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 131 of 242, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bruninho wrote on 2020-12-20, 06:35:

Been busy studying a bit of Magento Frontend Development these days, so not much retro computing stuff done. Hopefully I can do some soon after the first days on my new job next week.

Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-12-18, 00:18:

The setup has no problems.

Suuuuuureee...

Reply 132 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just fixed my Win98 VM drivers for USB (for some reason after an UTM update, Win98 started asking for them) and now I'm back. I'm even posting this from my Win98 Netscape 9 Browser. Vogons JS and CSS do not work anyway.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 133 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Long time without posting here...

My next project involves using an empty Mac Mini G4 box to put a Raspberry Pi 3B inside so I can test one of the following:
- Debian XFCE with any MacOS theme installed;
- Run QEMU straight from boot to emulate MacOS 9.2.2 or Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8.

Should be a fun project. I already have images of OS 9 and OS X Leopard ready to use, so this will be an easy one to test before judging if I should get a RPi4.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 134 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I abandoned the previous project with Raspberry Pi 3B simply because I got fed up with how damn sloooooow it is... completely unusable and requires a lot of configuration effort. So I returned to my UTM virtual machines. I’ll have to find another use for my empty 2006 Mac Mini G4 box. An intel nuc should fit appropriately, but I am not in the mood for buying another computer...

The macOS9 machine is running flawlessly and can even access the Time Capsule shares. Time Capsule SMB version is 1.0 and can’t be upgraded.

Today with the help of @framebuffer, I managed to access them too on my Windows 98SE VM. Thanks God, I can finally move around some files without much hassle.

That leaves me with Windows 3.11 For Workgroups VM being the only virtual machine I have unable to access the TC, even though this VM does see the internet and I am sure WFW can see SMB v1.0 samba shares but I have no idea why mine can’t see.

And I couldn’t figure out why my QEMU VM, when I enable file and printer sharing on WFW 3.11 after a reboot, the screen goes nuts and garbled before the logon screen... anyone know why?

The W98SE VM can find its way without extra network setup on UTM before booting the machine, but the DOS622/WFW311 requires some manual setup to get the correct ip address range (10.0.1.x instead of the default 10.0.2.x used by QEMU).

Anyway... I’m past midnight, time for a good night and a good nap.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 135 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been creating a Mac OS X Tiger QEMU (PPC) VM, so far no problems... Next on the list is to try out a FreeBSD PPC flavor on QEMU-PPC too. Then run some usability tests on both. If all goes well, I might get a Mac Mini G4 for some more retro fun. And a bonus added, could run macOS 9.2.2 on it for even more nostalgia.

Meanwhile, the Win 98 SE QEMU VM is still going strong. Got access to the local network NAS, so I can finally move around the files without much hassle.

EDIT: Turns out, Tiger is terribly slow under QEMU. Best is Jaguar/Panther. However, web browsing options for such OSes are almost zero. Let's try FreeBSD now...

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 136 of 242, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By the way, have any of you been able to get the SciTech Display Doctor driver working with QEMU?

No matter what I tried, on each boot it would display the message "there is a problem with your display driver/adapter" and would refuse to switch to anything higher than 16 color 640x480 mode.

I know there's the VBEMP 9x driver, and although that one does work in higher colors and higher resolutions on QEMU, it's not very stable and hangs with a messed up screen whenever you switch to full screen text mode, for instance by opening a DOS window.

Reply 137 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SDD does not work really well with QEMU, I'm using a vmware driver or the VBEMP 9x driver for W98SE if my memory serves well.

The driver is good enough and stable enough for my UTM/iOS explorations with the OS.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 138 of 242, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AH yes, QEMU should indeed alsof support the VMWare SVGA2 driver. But I haven't been able to find the Windows 9x VMWare driver. It only shipped with VMWare up to a certain version. If somebody could point me in the right direction w.r.t. where to download the installer, I'd appreciatie it. 😀

Reply 139 of 242, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

9x tools are included even with the latest version of vmware. They are in the WinPre2k.iso. These haven't been updated since 2013. They appear to still work though since drag and drop works from NT4 and 9x in Workstation 16 to a Windows 10 host.
https://softwareupdate.vmware.com/cds/vmw-des … ndows/packages/

It funny since they are fine with shipping ancient tools for every MS OS but Vista. For Vista you have to use the 11.06 tools and then the 10.3.10 video driver for working OGL but the latest tools are 11.2.5 🙄 but hey at least they still support the previous MS operating systems with XPDM unlike virtualbox.....for now.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/75163
Vmware Workstation 16 issue with Vista
https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Work … -x/td-p/2832771
https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Work … VM/td-p/2832731

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline